MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dicks Sporting Goods

Boolit Master

Dicks Sporting Goods

The local newspaper says we are getting a combo Dicks Sporting Goods- Field and Stream by the end of the year.
    How do they compare with Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, etc?
    More competition is always good.....dale

Boolit Master

Dick's is a good place to buy high dollar socks.The guns and equipment they do have are over priced.The help have no clue.This is my opinion of our Dick's,I don't go there.I have driving access to Midsouth,Bass Pro,Cabelas and Acadamy.Oh..and Gander Mountain,which I don't like either.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

The ones here in MI are higher priced on most stuff, like gander mountain tian high. And they carry no reloading gear. Not terrible 0laces, they do run sales, do have a nice gun counter, lot of archery. And yes competition is a good thing, when the MC and Dunham around here started Carrying handguns prices seemed to go down all around.

Boolit Master
    They run sales on shot shell ammo from time to time.

Boolit Bub
    Got one about 24 miles from me, a Dunham's about 8 miles away. Experience for me is way too many know it all's across the counter. Selection only has a tendency to be what is a hot seller nationally/regionally, poor, if any used gun selection. Everyday prices are real high. Only time to possibly buy any thing is on sale/closeout. Even then I prefer to support my LGS, even if I pay a buck or two more. At least I know the local guy will be spending his money locally and not sucking it out of the area like any big box store does. JMHO, Coogs.

Boolit Master
    I've herd they don't carry hand guns / pistol ammo cuz those are for killing babies and would rather sell you a kayak than a shotgun...

Boolit Master

We have a new Dunham's in the area. Just wish they carried powder and reloading supplies.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    well I don't think there is much difference in any of them other then the name. I would rather go to a real gun shop. mite pay a little more. but am keeping a mom and pop in business.

Boolit Master

I stopped shopping at Dick's when they stopped carrying ARs after Sandy Hook.

They were overpriced anyway.

+1 on C. Latch. They don't call them Dick's for nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

In Remembrance
    I only darkened one Dicks stores door one time. I might not have been too bad if a guy was looking for a pair of socks or baseball shoes. Iirc they not only stopped all sales of ar's and related accessories, day one after Sandy Hook, but cancelled all orders that were already sold. Is seems like they jumped on the overpriced 22 ammo deal early on too.
    As far as how they compare to sportsmans, they don't even try to compare, at least not with our sportsmans.

Boolit Master

To compete with the Gander Mountain that opened a little over a year earlier, our local 'Dick's' became a 'Dick's/Field & Stream' last fall but nuthin' to write home about. The 'Field & Stream' side offers wider variety of guns/ammo, fishing gear, archery, and outdoor wear but still (very!) overpriced...like 15%-20%. The 'Dick's' side is all big brand team sports gear, exercise wear, and golf equipment. Only been inside the doors twice and the only thing I've purchased was a pair of workout shoes and I had a 20% discount coupon for those.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Actually got my 336A & mounted scope there, $300 TTL first gun). Haven't been back since.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I bought both my kayaks from my local Dicks when they were on sale. I haven't been able to buy anything else. The rest of the store is way overpriced. The place is always empty.

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    The local newspaper says we are getting a combo Dicks Sporting Goods- Field and Stream by the end of the year.
    How do they compare with Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, etc?
    More competition is always good.....dale
    Hi Dale!

You're correct, more competition is good.
    Dick's sporting goods is better than nothing.
    That being said, it's my observation that they tend to focus more on golfing, running, fishing and weight training. They do carry rifles and shotguns. The staff is friendly, but not too knowledgeable at times.
    I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to visit them. Sometimes there are deals to be had.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Would not step foot in one after there refusal to follow thru on sales made on Ar 15 "s offering gift certificates instead ,removing all AR rifles in sympathy for NY Safe act !

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My experience with them has been about the same as already mentioned. I've been in the a couple of times just to look around . . . prices seem high and as far as anyone behind the counter having any real knowledge . . . typical young employees. They'd have a hard enough time counting change back let alone any knowledge about what they are selling in regards to firearms, etc. Sadly, a sign of the times for many big box stores.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mica_hiebert View Post
    i've herd they don't carry hand guns / pistol ammo cuz those are for killing babies and would rather sell you a kayak than a shotgun...
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    i bought both my kayaks from my local dicks when they were on sale. I haven't been able to buy anything else. The rest of the store is way overpriced. The place is always empty.
    see what i mean! Lol

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    DICKS sells firearms or related products?

Not in my neck of the woods here in Il or In.

Everything they had in stock seemed to be for the new generation and the children they have as salespersons are not old enough to have any hands on experience.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master

They didn't just stop selling ARs, they refused to honor orders from folks that had already given down payments. They canceled and those folks were forced back into a market that had doubled or more in price.

By the way, make sure you remember it's dickssportinggoods.com...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast