RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indoor casting,exhaust fan.

Boolit Buddy
    When I had the house built, I had the contractor add 3 feet on to the back of the garage on run a vent up through the roof. Same as the kitchen exhaust vent over the cooktop. When we picked out appliances I bought two kitchen vent hoods, dual fan, 3 speed high cfm jobs. Built my loading/casting bench in the 3 foot extension of the garage and installed the exhaust hood at one end of the bench. Works great no matter how smoky the flux is, no smoke and barely any smell in the garage.

The old house, I did the open door with fans behind me and in the door. Yeah it sucked out the smoke, but not until after I sat in the cloud for awhile. It's a grand denial thinking good ventilation is being paranoid.

Boolit Man
    I use a 4 in inline duct fan, wired for a grounded wall plug, and about 14 ft of flexible aluminum duct... vent through a hole for an old dryer vent, and it works wonderfully. It cost me about $60 for everything, and a little time.

Boolit Bub

Without going overboard... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Right now I rent and can’t permanently install stuff. I have a garage that will be a temporary lead station, as in a small wood table with an open-facing cabinet on top. The idea being to contain any tinsel fairy visits and avoid loosing my rental deposit.

I’ll likely make a 12” plywood insert (appropriate sized hole cut in it) with an exhaust fan mounted to it that will be inserted in the open window. Using a piece of articulated dryer vent hose I can bend the hose to be very close to the pot, or any other device emitting smoke, odors or vapors, and draw the offending emission out the window without causing a hurricane in my workspace.
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I got so tired of getting rained out while I was living on the Gulf coast in the summer that when I needed to get some casting done I took it inside where I had air conditioning and no rain drops. Winter months were about the only time the rain and humidity did not hamper me.

Last edited by MOA; 03-05-2021 at 08:49 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    No matter how hard I try tiny bright silver lead particles still hit the floor.
    Even my cloth shop apron acquires tiny dots of lead splashing.
    I found a mat designed to park a BBQ on to contain grease splatter works great to keep the lead mess off the floor.
    Trying to cast while seated just didn’t work for me, I must be standing to cast.
    I do have a chair 6’ behind me to rest in while the furnace gets back up to temperature.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 03-06-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I got so tired of getting rained out while I was living on the Gulf coast in the summer that when I needed to get some casting done I took it inside where I had air conditioning and no rain drops. Winter months were about the only time the rain and humidity did not hamper me.

If Norman Rockwell had painted this it would be titled “kitchen of an unmarried man”

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    If Norman Rockwell had painted this it would be titled “kitchen of an unmarried man”

Jim, I'd have to agree with you on the title if it was from before 2003. So, my title would be Rainy weather caster with the BEST WIFE in the world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    I have an old 5" diameter fan. Been around forever. I bought a 5x4 duct adapter and 2 lengths of vinyl dryer duct hose. I hung the fan from the joists to sit a few inches from the electric pot, and the hose goes out the door. I can feel the air flow through the dryer duct, so it's pulling air from the pot to the outside.

Boolit Master
    Jim, I'd have to agree with you on the title if it was from before 2003. So, my title would be Rainy weather caster with the BEST WIFE in the world.
    Congrats!

my title would be Rainy weather caster with the BEST WIFE in the world.:

You're my new hero.

If I tried that set up, within the hour--- neighbors would go by the front yard, and see my head on a stick.

I was forever banned from doing 'boolit stuff' in the kitchen after the 2nd .45ACP cooked off in the oven.
    I'd washed a bunch of range brass that I'd picked up in the sink, and was 'speed drying' them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    That would have been a kind title for this disaster waiting to happen.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    As already mentioned, to have efficient ventilation and fumes exhausted, you need an opening to the outside to allow the same amount of air to enter the room as is exhausted. In colder temperatures you’re going to be cooling the room down significantly, unless you are off setting it with a powerful heat source. If you have a wood stove in the room, it shouldn’t be to bad, but if you are heating with a more expensive fuel, beware.

I cast outside and it does get cold sometimes. I’ve thought about getting a radiant type heater to focus on me. To have adequate airflow to cast inside is one thing, but to to do it when temperatures outside are below freezing is another.

One of the guys I worked with is a Tinbasher who has a specialization in ducting. we built and installed this from scraps from the shop had to buy $20 in ducting and a wall vent. fan is an old squirrel cage fan from the scrap pile to. And added the great to help trap smoke near the fan as it would tend to role at the edges and waft out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	279570
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	279571

Your a legend, and your wife is a mythical unicorn congratulations. I was banned from the kitchen after washing my SBH, and Dakota buntline in the kitchen sink after shooting black powder.

My casting bench has lead particles, slivers, pieces, chunks, dust and debris for 3' on either side of the pot and all over the floor. My kitchen would be a hazmat zone in about an hour.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    My casting bench has lead particles, slivers, pieces, chunks, dust and debris for 3' on either side of the pot and all over the floor. My kitchen would be a hazmat zone in about an hour.
    I have to agree with you. Lead particles do seem to end up a ways from the pot. That’s saying nothing about the Tin Fairy making an appearance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    Or if you build an overhead vent and pipe anything out you can hard wire an inline air duct fan. Bought mine at Menard for $28
    this with a length of 4" flexable ducting mated to a outdoor dryer vent works great for me, when not in use I roll it all up and stuffit in a tote bin under the bench dryer vent has flapper so hole thru foundation is closed up. Why take a chance? what happens if your like me using ingots purchased and you drop one in the pot and its a "smoker" it nearly ended my casting before I got into it, swmbo was just furious coulnt see across basement for smoke before I got the pot covered and out the door.LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12