RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 64 38 Special on the way

There is not much I can add as what has been said is true. I have several K frame Smith's and The 64 that I have is one of my favorites. I like the Lee 158 grain FN over 3 grains of Win 231 for plinking. It is my carry anywhere, don't have to worry about sights getting beat up, do whatever gun. You will like it and... don't every let it go !
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master
    Don't have a 64 but do have a 4 inch HB M10 and it shoots wadcutters over 3.5 of bulles eye to the sights at 20 yards. They are keepers!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Don't feel bad , I've been one since my 20s

OffTopic (even more) ,,,, You use your T035 or is it for shows?? I replaced mine and have been considering a restoration, just for fun.
    Mine is a 1955 and it runs like new. The previous owner applied the later red and gray paint and Massey Ferguson 35 decals so it's not really show worthy. The correct scheme is gray sheetmetal, dark green castings, and metal Harry Ferguson name plates. I use it for mowing, pushing snow, and blading the driveway. The only problem it has is the 3 point lift sinks when you press the clutch. Probably needs the lift cylinder resealed.

Harry Ferguson and Massey Ferguson tractors and machinery have always been part of my life. When I was a wee lad we had a TO-30. My grandfather bought an MF-165 new in the early 70's, I spent alot of my youth cutting and baling hay with it. My sister and her husband have the 165 now and still use it alot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply, seems lots of us in this hobby also enjoy many varied things from times past. Like the old fixed sight SW revolvers, a good tractor still works just like it was designed to. Just not as "flashy" an no plastic
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Just put 50 Dardas 148g WC's over 3g Win 231 thru my Detroit PD Marked M64 this afternoon with friends at LGC.

I'm really happy with the 64-3 I picked up last year. Don't like the Houge grips that came with it but I'll change those eventually.

Boolit Master
    It finally arrived today: Model 64, 4" barrel, 38 Special + P
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0006.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	160338
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Looks nice! Bet you can't wait to get to the range.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned
    That's a fairly new model 64. It might even have the two piece barrel, I can't tell from the photo.

Yep, thats a late model all right. Has the new style latch thumbpiece and stupid frame lock. As far as I know the .38 Special K frames do not use the two piece barrel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    The new model 64's do have a two piece barrel. Not sure if the one pictured does.

Boolit Master
    It's a 2001 or later model. According to the owners manual that came with it S&W added the internal hammer lock in 2001/2002-- and this has it. Don't know about the barrel (I'm new to S&W and don't know how to identify a two-piece barrel).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    If it is a dash 8 it has a two piece barrel. Look at the frame under the crane with the cylinder open and you will see the model number followed by a "dash" and another number. 64-8 (model 64 "dash" 8). The dash numbers denote design changes.

The two piece barrel has a barrel shroud and a barrel. Traditionalist do not like them but there's nothing wrong with the two piece barrel.

Banned
    two piece barrel from the muzzle.

Photo lifted from internet
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-10-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a 64 this last year. Its turned into my main tromping around the home stead gun. Ether in a tanker holster or a belt holster. I keep it loaded with 3 125gr jhp's and 3 CCI shot loads.
    The Stainless steel means you dont have to worry about scuffing it. You can buff them right back into shape.
    I also found the trigger on mine is excellent even by Smith & Wesson standards.

Boolit Grand Master

Fine, solid, no frills guns. I love them, but the silver blade in a silver notch of my M64 were near impossible for me. I fixed it with Chevy engine orange on the front and flat black for the rear notch.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

P&P, I did not know the .38's had two piece barrels now. I thought that was a fix for cracked forcing cones on .357's. Seems to me like it would be an unnecessary complication on the .38's.

Banned
    Another image stolen off the internet. This is the barrel that is inside of the barrel shroud. The shroud has the front sight, front lug and all of the markings on it.

It's sort of like the set up in a Dan Wesson but instead of a barrel nut the muzzle end of the barrel tightens up on the shroud. S&W uses a tool that engages the rifling inside the barrel that acts as the "wrench" when they assemble the barrel and shroud to the frame. The barrel is held in tension between the frame and the shroud. It is probably done to save time during assembly but that's a guess on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Another image stolen off the internet. This is the barrel that is inside of the barrel shroud. The shroud has the front sight, front lug and all of the markings on it.

It's sort of like the set up in a Dan Wesson but instead of a barrel nut the muzzle end of the barrel tightens up on the shroud. S&W uses a tool that engages the rifling inside the barrel that acts as the "wrench" when they assemble the barrel and shroud to the frame. The barrel is held in tension between the frame and the shroud. It is probably done to save time during assembly but that's a guess on my part.

It also makes the barrel a little more ridged but that may be a secondary consideration.

Boolit Master

Model 65

Here's my Model 65 (no dash) that I bought in 1977 while an LEO. It's been a reliable and accurate handgun and has served well. Now days it generally just gets fed 38 Specials so it might as well be a Model 64.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast