RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W Model 64 38 Special on the way

Boolit Buddy
    I like your sight improvements IAS2. I planned to just paint the front ramp of my 64, but I think your style looks great, and performs excellent compared to plain factory sights.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    I like your sight improvements IAS2. I planned to just paint the front ramp of my 64, but I think your style looks great, and performs excellent compared to plain factory sights.
    Thanks! It made a huge difference in the shootability of the gun. I did it with just plain old rattle cans and masking tape and it's been surprisingly durable. Maybe because the blade is protected by the holster and the flat black is all in recessed areas.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Fine, solid, no frills guns. I love them, but the silver blade in a silver notch of my M64 were near impossible for me. I fixed it with Chevy engine orange on the front and flat black for the rear notch.

That looks good. I painted my front sight with white out thinking it would help but it didn't. Think I'll be copying yours

Banned
    The area is so small I never thought about using spray paint and masking it off. That's a good idea, I might give that a try.

Boolit Master

Model 64 and 65 Sights

I always wondered why S&W didn't use a blued steel front sight on their stainless steel revolvers. That SS in bright light is just about unusable.

After buying my Model 65, the first thing that I did was to file out a notch in the front sight and use a yellow epoxy to fill it in and then file it to seamlessly mate up with the front sight. I use a flat black paint (Testor's modeling paint) to blacken the rear sight. This gives me a very usable sight picture, although in hind sight, I probably should have used black dyed epoxy as I prefer plain black sights.

By the way, if your are just shooting at the range, you can use kitchen matches to blacken the sights or you can use a carbide miner's lamp or purpose made carbide sight blackener.

Here are a few photos showing my solution to the shiny sight problem with stainless.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    Either a mod 10 or mod 64 was my issue for decades. Utterly superb revolvers. The only thing they ask after extensive shooting is to shoot some more.

Banned
    I've used a black sharpie to darken the sights and it works in a pinch but is still a bit glossy. It lasts long enough to make it through a range session. I've also used the carbide lamp trick or a kitchen match which makes really flat black sights but again it is only a short term fix. I've painted the front sights black on a few S&W stainless guns but never thought about masking off the rear sight and painting it. I'm going to try that.
    My Ruger Service-Six's have blued steel front sights that are pinned to the front rib. Seems like a better solution. Not only are they more visible in bright light but they are replacable if damaged.
    I can cope with the stainless on stainless issue in most conditions but really bright sunlight can be a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

S&W went to pinned on blue sights on a lot of guns in later production, but I can't recall seeing a 64 that didn't have the integral stainless front.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I always wondered why S&W didn't use a blued steel front sight on their stainless steel revolvers. That SS in bright light is just about unusable.

After buying my Model 65, the first thing that I did was to file out a notch in the front sight and use a yellow epoxy to fill it in and then file it to seamlessly mate up with the front sight. I use a flat black paint (Testor's modeling paint) to blacken the rear sight. This gives me a very usable sight picture, although in hind sight, I probably should have used black dyed epoxy as I prefer plain black sights.

By the way, if your are just shooting at the range, you can use kitchen matches to blacken the sights or you can use a carbide miner's lamp or purpose made carbide sight blackener.

Here are a few photos showing my solution to the shiny sight problem with stainless.
    Nice grips, what are they?

Boolit Master

Nice grips, what are they?
    You would have to ask! I really can't remember, but they were from one of the mail order stores. They are a great improvement over the Pachmyer grips that I had on it before. They attach with a single screw through the base of the grip.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

They look like Hogue round to square conversions.

http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/S&W/kf...utt/conversion

Over the years I have picked u a few S&W classic service revolvers, the last three 64s were bought a little over a year ago for $216 each shipped. Just they were no present for Dad but two were presents for my sons and one stayed with me.

Looks like a great addition to your collection. Congrats!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123