RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 64 38 Special on the way

Boolit Master

S&W Model 64 38 Special on the way

My oldest son-- Police officer and part time owner of a gun shop, is sending me a S&W Model 64 in 38 Special (4 inch barrel)-- just as soon as I arrange FFL. He says it is in great condition and should be fun to shoot. Any thoughts from those of you familiar with the Model 64?
    Hick: Iron sights!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Model 64 is one of the later production, better K-frame duty guns. If was been inspected and tweaked early in its career, by a factory trained police armorer, you have a good, dependable home defense gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Attachment 159758
    The Model 64 is a stainless steel, K-frame chambered in 38 Special with fixed sights. It is a great gun and basically a stainless steel version of the model 10. I think they all came with the heavy barrel but I'm not sure. Maybe Outpost can chime in.

They are very solid guns and one of the great workhorses of American handguns.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Attachment 159758
    The Model 64 is a stainless steel, K-frame chambered in 38 Special with fixed sights. It is a great gun and basically a stainless steel version of the model 10. I think they all came with the heavy barrel but I'm not sure. Maybe Outpost can chime in.

They are very solid guns and one of the great workhorses of American handguns.
    All the Model 64s I have seen were heavy barrel, either 3" or 4" with full length ejector rod. Generally the 3 inchers were round butt and the 4 inchers square butt, but they are found both ways. They also made a factory DAO version with bobbed hammer. I used to have one of those in 4" barrel, round butt with lanyard loop, matte finished with "Fuzzy Ferrant" Secret Service grips. I let it go when I retired.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

HONCHO EMERITUS

The Model 64 was produced with the original tapered barrel only during the first couple years of its production. I have one. IIRC there was a post on the S&W Forum stating they were made with the tapered barrel from 1968-1970.

It shoots dead on the fixed sights with anything 158 grains.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the great info-- I'll have to go find some 158 grain to load-- don't have any at the moment. As soon as I get it I'll post some pictures for comparison.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    Hick, if you're a caster, the newer RCBS 38-150-SWC (which tends to drop bullets close to 158 grains) or its near twin the Lyman 358477; are great bullets. There are others but a SWC around 158 grains is a near universal bullet for a K-frame 38 Special.
    I hand loaded for decades before getting into casting and there are some good bullet choices out there for hand loaders that don't cast.
    I had mixed results with commercial cast bullets and can only tell you that if you don't like the results move on to another brand.

A 4" model 64 has a lot going for it. The stainless steel helps to make them very durable. It will do everything a model 10 will do and rust is less of a concern. They are very accurate revolvers. The fixed sights will not get "out of adjustment" . They can be loaded for a variety of jobs (target, small game, self defense). A 4" K-frame has enough sight radius that they are easy to hit with but not too long to carry (I don't care for 6" barrels). The gun is plenty strong but no heavier than it needs to be. It really is one of the great "All-Around" handguns.

Boolit Master
    I use a 3 inch RB Model 64 for a house gun. They are great guns. Mine is from 1982.

The last new Smith and Wesson I bought was a Model 64 in about 2003. I own and have owned many score of Smith and Wesson revolvers and this one is as good as any I have ever owned. It is a 4" HB with the round butt. My shoots to the sights with most loads that approximate factory stuff. I have long ago settled on just three loads in the 38 Special, all with Bullseye powder.

160/Lyman 358311 RN over 3/BE for fun range use and plinking
    150 WC or 150-160 SWC over 3.5/BE for loads with better performance on things that have flesh, blood and nerves. The WC is loaded in WC brass.

I think you will like yours. At last count, I had twelve Colt and S & W revolvers in 38 Special. The thought of just having one is to horrible to bear. Without a doubt the 38 Special is my favorite cartridge, followed closely by the 45 ACP.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 2-3" 64 is one of the best carry revolvers ever. Apparently alot of folks agree with me as they usually go for over $400.00 on GB, even well worn LE guns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have a 2" round butt version, it has been a great gun for me. Quite accurate, and shoots right to the sights with 158 gr. loads.

Boolit Master

That was very nice of your son to set you up with a Model 64!

I have a 4" Model 65 from my LEO days. It is the same revolver as the Model 64 other than it is in .357 Magnum. Great revolvers. Mine is now just over 40 years old and still shoots just fine. Fact is, I'm able to type this post thanks to that revolver.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Anyone else notice that there seems to be a revolver renaissance going on? At my local shop, snubbies are the best selling category of guns. They also sell every GP-100 they can get ahold of. Used revolvers are never under the glass long even if they are priced close to new. Back in the early 2000's it seemed no one wanted revolvers even though the magazine ban was in effect. The busiest shop in Lexington had bunches of name brand wheelguns in nice condition at very good prices. S&W 66's for $250.00, Ruger SP-101's for $225.00 were passed up in favor of bottom feeders and $75.00 pre-ban mags.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I have noticed that ,, dangit! Days of picking up a pristeen M10 for 125$ (I Did), are past
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

That's the way it goes. There were also bunches of very nice Marlin and Winchester .30-30's for $200.00 or less. I did score a couple of gems from that time that are still with me. A 1976 Marlin 1894C in honest 98% condition for $250.00 and a 1978 1895 that may have been unfired for $400.00. My best friend bought a Ruger GP-100 stainless with the uncommon 6" half lug barrel for $260.00.

Got a 1950's vintage Marlin 336 Sc for $230 OTD in those days. It aint for sale.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Ahh, the good old early 2000's! Wow, I'm an old geezer at 37.

Boolit Master
    Don't feel bad , I've been one since my 20s

OffTopic (even more) ,,,, You use your T035 or is it for shows?? I replaced mine and have been considering a restoration, just for fun.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

You will be pleased with it, I have a few 4" 64's and a 2" M 64. I use a 4" as a house gun and carry one when working on my land. I have wood grip on my 4"ers and rubber on the round butt 2". I purchased my 4" 64's as LE turn-ins about 10 years ago, they were about the same price as the M10s (within $15 or so). The nice thing about a M 64 as compared to a M 10 is that blemishes can easily be repaired with no need to re-blue. The blued finish on M 10 turn-ins were pretty well worn. The finish of 64's were shiny due to holster wear but can easily be corrected by blasting the top rib and brushing the other surfaces. My 2" M 64 came from a pawnshop, it had some concrete rash and rust in various areas. After some work with pattern files, radius nosed punches, and a sandblaster, you can not tell there were any defects.

Boolit Master
    Like the other guys said. Mine shoots dead on as long as I stay with bullets at 158 grains.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast