MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: No good rotten day at the range.

Boolit Master

No good rotten day at the range.

Today was one of the few times I have ever left the range in a worse mood than when I arrived. I could not keep 5 shots on paper at 100, but managed to put 4 boolits through 3 of the 4 pieces of pvc pipe that I use as a target frame. I figured out I was shooting high when the top of the frame exploded. I figured out I over adjusted when I blew a chunk out of the bottom frame. Finally, cut the left side of the frame in half, but it was good elevation. Back to the reloading bench this week and it will be three weeks until I can make it back to the range.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I'd hold off on buying a chrony.

I've had days like that, too. Some days it's just best to pack it all up and do something else.
    The enemy of good is better.

I feel your pain. I've got a 20 mile drive to the range I go to and I've had days like that. Sometimes I just pack up and leave before I even get unloaded. I went out last week to try some 45, 357 and 9mm that I had PC'd. I forgot the 357 rounds on my bench (but did bring the gun), forgot the HP (9mm) in my safe but did bring the rounds, I did have both the 45 and the rounds but had only loaded 20 of them, (they shot very good, no leading or mess, so I'm pleased with that). I did find a good amount of brass (9mm, 45 ACP,223) and got outside for awhile, so it wasn't a complete loss. My wife was shed of me for a couple of hours so she enjoyed it.

I have forgotten magazines for the UZI. Have you ever shot a supressed UZI single shot? Not fun.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Last year, I had just installed a 209 shotgun primer ignition system, on a Knight muzzleloader I had used caps on. I was very excited about trying this out.

The first conversion kit I got, failed to include the breech plug in the box, but the vendor rectified that in short order. So the exercise was not off to a really good start.

So, I grabbed my black powder possibles kit (different range bag than my centerfire kit), and head to club range 37 miles away. I get there and the real fun started.

I realized I had not included 1. Targets 2. Hearing protection, and worst of all 3. 209 primers. I discovered all these things missing in sequence. I figured I could improvise hearing protection, by plugging my ears with rolled up bits of paper towels I had. I could improvise targets by drawing on a paper towel sheet with a sharpie marker. But, no way to improvise 209 primers. The closest place that had loose 209 primers was....my home at 37 miles away.

So, with the wind completely taken out of my sails, I just drove back home and called it a day. Totally disappointed in myself, for getting in such a rush that I forgot to check my stuff for essential items. Next day though, was far better. Some days we are the dog, and some days we are the fire hydrant they say...
    100,000 BC: stone tools. 4,000 BC: the wheel. 900 AD: gunpowder — bit of a game changer, that one

Peter Weyland, 2023

Nothing to worry about, because for once, I have the proper tool at hand. Looking for a little heat?.......Any questions?

Burt Gummer, Tremors 3

Last summer I had just started shooting a group of test loads for my SBH 44 Mag when the front sight flew off. Done with the 44. So, I broke out the Bisley 45 and commenced a similar regimen, when a boolit stuck in the barrel! Forgot the powder!?...on test load? Just packed up and drove home.

I also forget things quite often when going to the range, so I've started using a list that I typed into my phone so that the basics are remembered.

Boolit Master
    The secret to not forgetting ammo is to never clean all the loose rounds rolling around the range bag. I have shot a cupple matches on left overs lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    I'd hold off on buying a chrony.

I've had days like that, too. Some days it's just best to pack it all up and do something else.
    That is what I love about this site. Someone always has good advice
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Grand Master

Well I wasnt quite as bad Yesterday. I went to the Club with my 40-65 and told my friend I had 60 test rounds of Paper Patched loads to test. I was pretty much set up when he got there. I fired 10 shot groups on 2 targets twice. One had 5 of the 10 touching in 2 cluster showing promise for it. Was waiting to go down range, I picked up the last box of ammo thinking it was the 58 grn batch of 40-65 test loads. One of the old hands showed up and asked to look at ammo. Asked if I had bought another CPA rifle or had another barrel fitted. He showed me a head stamp and smiled saying youll need a prybar to load 45-70s in that 40-65. SO I didnt get to test the last step up yesterday.

Boolit Master
    Over the last few weeks I have been swaging some 44 cal bullets from 40 S&W brass using btsnipers die. At twenty five yards I was barely on paper. A dissapointing day to say the least, but will keep at it someday it will get better.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Well I had several of those last year. Lived about 30 miles from the outdoor range,. It is unmonitored and I won't get out if full, and I mean two deep shooting from the 7 seating areas. Have seen twice that number vying for positions. I just leave. Now that I've moved, I have a nice quiet place to shoot when I want to. Forget something? Walk back to the house..... Nice.

Boolit Bub
    It's about 10 miles or so to my range, all in all a nice drive. One day I arrive, range is hot so I drag my gear out get my stuff on the bench, fondle my guns (can't when range is cold). Build my target frame....ok it's 4 thumb screws.......staple my target on. Wait for range to go cold, all set. Suddenly club VP runs on the site......"CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE!!!" No shooting today. Some county workers complained about bullets whizzing by. I had to go home, as did others. Turns out, no bullets were whizzing by. BS story. Gun haters.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I have forgotten magazines for the UZI. Have you ever shot a supressed UZI single shot? Not fun.
    Yeah, been there, done that. Try a Lewis with no drums, I need a stupid stencil for the forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    No and Yes - but I have forgotten a mag for the M14S and drove back to nearest gun store and they sold me a M14 magazine which I drove out to the shooty spot and discovered it didn't really work well with "my" M14 - but I did manage to beat it into place and stripper fed it from there. - Hey a bad day at the range is better than sitting home wishing you were on the range.

But I'm to the point now that I need a check list for each trip.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."