MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Sizing after casting

Sizing after casting

When I cast I drop then in a bucket of water them after they are dried I lube and run them in sizer. DOES any one else do this

Boolit Master
    Lots of people. Some guys wait a while with some alloys because the hardness can change. This is worth reading, especially "Heat Treating and Water Quenching" http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm
    Last edited by JSnover; 01-31-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I do it all the time. Not because I want them harder, but because with a Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot and a 6 cavity mold, I have a tough time dropping them onto a towel to prevent them banging into each other, then shoving them over for the next batch. Dropping them into a towel lined bucket of water is much easier. I powder coat so any hardness gained by water quenching is probably lost in the baking process.

Moderator Emeritus

I tried this but once, and, well, didn't get the instant gratification from dropping bullets onto a (dry) towel. Many casters -- no doubt including you -- get a very, very high percentage of "keepers". Me? I generally drop about 600 bullets in a good casting session, but sadly for me, only about 400 +/- a few are not put in the re-melt can! I reckon, if I dropped into water as you do, I'd have ~200 wet bullets to return to pot - for which I'd have to wait, and wait, for them to dry. For a good part of my casting, too, I add the step of installing gas checks, as well. This -- the gc install -- is an integral part of my quality control.
    That dropping in water works for you -- I'm impressed. I've read Fryxell and others re the many advantages of water quenching as you do. Perhaps when hibernation in this latitude ends and I can resume casting -- I'll again try it. You did not indicate what you're casting: e.g., pistol vs rifle bullets?
    geo

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Lots of us do that.
    I got ahead of myself a couple weeks ago doing it, though. I cast a batch of bullets for my 6.5 Swede and water quenched them. I loaded some up, and they didn't shoot worth a darn. Then I remembered my Swede likes soft bullets, so I had to put them in the toaster oven and anneal them. Shot fine after that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I water drop them all. Rifle boolits especially. Just another habit. Now starting to PC so I guess it doesn't make a difference now. I'm still learning.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!