RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: .32 S&W long reloading with Hi-Skor 800x

.32 S&W long reloading with Hi-Skor 800x

Has anyone every reloaded the .32 S&W long with 800x?
    I know it meters like cornflakes and I weight most of my charges already so that is not a problem.
    It seems like it would have a lot of potential.
    I really want some Chrono information.
    I had six rounds loaded to test yesterday but in a bone headed move left my Chrony battery at home. I waited two months for a chance to test them and it may be two more before I get the chance again. They shot well but I really wanted that data.
    Any Green Dot Chrony info is also welcome.
    I am shooting a 1953 model hand ejector. Lee 90311 90 grain SWC as cast with 45/45/10 lube.
    Thanks,
    SPJ

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition (1980) has some data with Green Dot under a 93 gr (313226) in a 4" S&W Model 31.
    There is a caution: Use maximum loads only in Solid Frame Revolvers.
    starting load... 1.8 / 528 fps
    maximum load 3.1 / 893 fps

As a precaution, reduce max load by 10% to start in a solid frame revolver.

I could find no data for 800X.

I learned my lesson early on regarding the battery in my chrono. (went dead).
    I now have two spares with me just in case.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Thanks w30wcf that is what I was looking for. Lyman #3 shows the max charge of Green Dot at 3.0 with a 92 grain in the .380 auto
    which corresponds to the Max 3.1 grain for a 93 grain the 32 S&W long. So following this logic down the rabbit hole I looked up the .380 auto on the Hodgdon sight and found a max load of 700x with a 90 gr JHP at 2.9 grains. I went back to Lyman #3 and the S&W long with a 90 cast SWC the max charge of 700x is 3.0 grains. Again very compatible. Which takes me to the final comparison Hodgdons list the .380 auto using 800x at 4.1 grain max with the 90 grain JHP and my my conclusion that 4.1 with a 90 grain cast SWC in the 32 S&W long should be OK. So reducing 10% I get 3.69 grains and since it is uncharted territory I am thinking 3.3 - 3.6 will make a nice ladder test assuming I can remember to take my Chrony battery next time.
    Everyone feel free to point out the errors in the above thinking.
    SPJ

Boolit Master

I use 2.5 grains of Green Dot with a Saeco 325 (95 grain) in an I frame.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

My son has his CC class next week and that was reason enough to get out in the cold today and shoot. That kid is going to out shoot me one day soon and I don't know if I should feel sad or proud, but I digress.
    I finally got to Chronograph some loads today. I did not shoot for accuracy I just wanted Chrony data. Once I see something I like I will work out an accurate load.
    Thanks for the green dot load Jeff. Out of my S&W I frame hand ejector with a .004 cylinder gap shooting 90 grain SWC lee cast, tumble lubed with 45/45/10 I got an avg. 816.6 fps and SD of 28.3.
    next up same bullet and lube.
    3.4 of 800x avg. 820 fps sd of 24.9.
    3.5 of 800x avg. 850 fps sd 33.5
    3.6 of 800x avg. 840 fps sd 24.0 That is right where I thought it should be.
    then I tried Universal & Unique.
    2.5 of Universal ave. 603 fps sd 37.6
    3.5 of Unique ave. 963 fps. sd 15.1
    Last on the list is a pulled powder that will remain nameless.
    3.5 of pulled powder avg. 515 fps sd 16.7
    3.6 of pulled powder avg. 527 fps sd 32.5
    3.7 of pulled powder avg. 553 fps sd 16.6 I wasn't shooting for accuracy but these loads were obviously quite accurate. I am going to work these up a little more and try to find a sweet spot.
    My conclusion is that 800x in the 850 fps range is a useful power for the 32 S&W long in a solid frame revolver. With so little load data out there it is nice to have that knowledge.
    Thanks for the input Jeff and John (I am a big fan by the way and I have shoot all of these powders and more in SR .30wcf loads.)
    I enjoyed working these loads up and I will post again when I have a chance to shoot for accuracy.
    Last edited by Steppapajon; 02-14-2016 at 12:35 PM.