Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scored two American veterans today!

Boolit Master

Scored two American veterans today!

I got lucky today and picked up an all original remington US model 1917 with a mint bore, but with a few bumps and bruises. Also got a gorgeous Smith Corona 1903A3. All matching with mint bore. I'm mostly a BPCR shooter, so these modern rifles will be a change of pace for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix746454102_edit.jpg   A3.jpg  

Boolit Master

vary nice
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Over the years I've had and still do a Garand, 03A3 Springfield,and a 1911A1 Ithaca all made in 1943. Never realized it until one day I ran the serial numbers. Haven't done the M1 carbine yet though. Frank

Boolit Master
    were you at the gun auction near Gettysburg pa. ?

Boolit Master

I think that you'll really like shooting and loading for these old war horses. I prefer shooting them to any modern rifle. Their Ought-Six cartridge is very cast boolit friendly and good results are quickly had with it.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Bob208 - no, I bought these locally.

All - I'd be glad to hear about your cast boolit loads for these.

Boolit Master

All - I'd be glad to hear about your cast boolit loads for these.
    For a light plinking or rabbit load, it's hard to beat the RCBS 30-115-RN boolit designed for the M1 Carbine. Over Unique powder for 1,400 fps its a great little load.

For heavier loads, I like the Lyman 311299 or 311332 designs over either 4759 or 4895 for 1,850 fps or so. These loads will shoot accurately out past 600 yards easy and are still easy on the bore.

In reality, the Ought-Six is very amenable to cast boolits of all persuasions and it's really very easy to get these old war horses shooting well if the stock's bedding, the barrel and the sights are all in good shape.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Congratulations! Very nice. Bet they didn't come cheap.

Boolit Master

Thanks Sharf.
    No they weren't cheap, but it was a good prices for such nice rifles.

Boolit Master
    Ha ha, my cursor was positioned smack dab over the "o" in "scored" in the title of this thread when I clicked on Military Rifles. I thought it said "I scared a couple of veterans"!

Nice buy! You scored a WWI and WWII veteran, what respect you must have for our "Greatest Generation"! Kindest regards.

Boolit Master

The 1917 was used quite a bit in the Chinese Army during World War II. I have observed them being used in the early 30's fighting with the Japanese on the History Channel. Some of General Stillwell's chinese troops also carried them. I would like to see the figures on how many 1917's were used in actual combat versus the 1903. I bet the 1917 was used more but I have never seen any figures to prove or disprove this. I have owned at 4 of the 1917's and they were all excellent shooters, even one with a pitted bore. All were Eddystone's and the one with a pitted barrel had a 2 groove barrel from a re barrel in World War II, the barrel being made by Johnson Automatics. You made a great buy on those two. I envy you. james

Boolit Master

Thanks guys. I've been researching the details on both rifles. The more I read, the more pleased I am. Everything appears to be correct and original. The bores on both are pristine. It's clear that the 1917 has been around the block a few times. It has its share of bumps and bruises. But it's in fine shape otherwise. If it could talk the stories it could tell! I didn't know about their use in China, very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Grand Master

The weight of my 1917 is greater than my 190a3s so the recoil even from surplus ammo is pretty light. My SC 1903a3 is a very accurate gun.
    Looks like you will enjoy these 2, I would for sure.

Boolit Master
    Good score. They are good shooters. Enjoy.

Boolit Master

What a fine pair indeed, my Remington 43 03a3 is my most use most shot rifle, with cast I don't ever have to worry bout ruining the perfect bore. It's fun and accurate.

Congratulations on two fine American veterans. Sergeant York would be very proud !

Boolit Master

I chomping at the bit to get out to the range. But there is a giant storm roaring up the east coast that's spoiling my plans! Hopefully I'll make it out Friday afternoon.

Boolit Buddy
    All six of my various old Remington war horses really seem to like the NOE 311331 cast from 11 BHN alloy and driven by 16 grs. of 2400. A .311" diameter size is the most common one for me, with preferential use of nose-first sizing in a STAR sizer. I use rifle primers, not large pistol like some in the CBA advocate. Military ignition systems can be a bit stouter than those found on 'modern' sporter or target rifles. Pierced primers are no fun at all. Jim

Boolit Master
    I have had some quality range time with a Remington Model 1917 over the last few years.

My barrel is a bit rough. The throat is quite short and the best I can measure the 5 groove barrel has deep .05" grooves, about .310 diameter.

Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast