Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead In Flint Mich.

Boolit Master

Lead In Flint Mich.

I think it might be a good time to make friends with the scrap dealers in Flint Mich.
    With their recent Lead in the water situation, they will be replacing all the lead pipes in one Massive Move.
    I would venture to say, there will be a Glut of lead on the market in that area.
    And if you live in that neck of the woods, it might not be a bad idea to make friends with the underground contractors that will be replacing the pipes, and maybe buy the scrap pipe directly from them, and eliminate the middleman.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Agreed. Attention Michigan Plumbers!!! I want to be your friend!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    30 minutes down the road and hadn't thought about that. Will see what I can find and let you guys know.

I was thinking the same also.it will be alot of lead to get.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

About an hour from me,but the local scrap yard has plenty at good prices so I'll continue to avoid Flint at all possible costs.

I am also nearby. I wish I had a scrapyard near me with lead at a good price Since the price of scrap bottomed out, I've actually seen a scrapyard shut their doors until it comes back up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    About an hour from me,but the local scrap yard has plenty at good prices so I'll continue to avoid Flint at all possible costs.
    It appears you and I live close, any chance you'd share the scrap yard you mentioned so I can give them a try? In the market looking for a local lead source.

Boolit Master

That lead will be treated as toxic waste. I saw a local plumber handle an example of the lead pipe with sterile gloves. It will be way too dangerous to allow it back in the public domain.

One of the benefits of long commute is lot of time for the news. I guessed (and posted) back during the summer/fall that there might be pipe removal in the future for Flint and folks in the area should keep an ear open for that happening. I'm guessing any replacement would mostly focus on lines feeding schools and other public places, especially those frequented by a high number of children. It is a total carp shoot if the pipe will end up in a scrap yard that will sell lead (or anything else for that matter) to the public.

Not even clear that the pipe will be replaced. With proper anti-corrosion control the levels of lead in the water should fall as the pipe gets lined with sediment and build up. Would probably release higher concentrations of lead if the remaining pipe is disturbed unless entire run from main to house were replaced as lead free. That aspect of things has been in the news and so far little drive for a massive replacement. But as they say watch this space.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure myself how much of the dissolved lead is from pipes, and how much is just from solder joints.

Read a safety tip like 20 years ago that if your house has copper pipes with solder joints, run the water for 5 minutes whenever you've been gone for a week or more. Or something like that.

Boolit Master
    I doubt they will remove much of the lead pipe.they will leave it be and just run new lines

Banned

All these years and I come to find out I'm a lead vulture like the rest of ya!!

The most prevalent problem for Flint has little to do with lead and more with pH, acidity and cation exchange capacity of their water, all of which can be controlled a the MUA level...Oy Vae! The most prevalent problem nationally is political correctitude and ignorance of reality. I think this may all tie in together as fear mongering and a political agenda...anyway, I will buy some of that lead pipe. We shall forge lead pipe into musket balls, as plowshares to swords!

The readings they are getting are too high to be from solder joints in non-lead pipe. Municipal systems replace lead pipe from time to time but typically it is simply a result of going to replace a line for age, damage or to expand capacity and it turns out to be lead.

Yep the water "problem" could have been totally dealt with if handled up front. Or at least reduced considerably, possibly to the point where no harm would have resulted from having things that way for the two years it was going to take to get the Lake Huron source connected.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I f they do dig up some or all of the lead pipes, then it will find it's way to the scrap yards.
    Listed as Toxic or not, there is money to be made by someone.
    They have to Pay to displose of Toxic material.
    So tons of what they call toxic, but really isn't if properly handled, will be skimmed off and sold to the scrap dealer.
    I worked in Demolition for years, and selling scrap was the name of the game.
    So, the price locally should go down if the supply goes up.

Boolit Bub
    I'd be interested if anyone finds the scrap yards that as them. Please post the yards.

I'll do the same if I find them.

Boolit Master

Anybody more worried about the public domain example it sets for shooting ranges? All the statements we make or might make to the effect of lead not leeching out from rain or contact with ground water, and BOOM, here we have a situation where (now) clean water is flowing through pipes in contact with lead, and lead is leeching out.

Sounds like two news stories away from your favorite range getting closed by the EPA for concerns over environmental lead release.

Many Romans died off due to Lead Poisoning. Maybe they shipped all their aqueduct lead to Flint just to prove that Lead IS poisonous.
    Yeah, it's STILL Bush's fault.
    And he's a racist, on top of that....
    [sarcasm mode: /OFF/]

RogerDat
    If you look at the layout of water lines, you'll notice they don't run a dedicated water line to schools (just bcuz they are schools). All taps come off the main and if the end customer happens to be a school, or that of a 'little ol lady' they don't care. It's simply someone(s) who needs a drink. Or a shower....
    If they KNEW lead was poisonous and decided NOT to run lines to schools, do you think they would lay ANY lead supply lines ?!?

I think it's all just a scare tactic by the obama administration to spend more $$$$ in a continuing effort to bankrupt the country. After all, he has and only EVER has had one goal - to DESTROY THE USA !
    Can you say - "Cloward and Piven" ?
    Don't understand that reference ? Look it up.

I also have to wonder why there is ANY human life in the area around Galena Illinois ? That's where many of the lead mines are. If lead IS toxic, there should be a dead area like there is around Chernobyl. Right ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Master
    Let me tell you about lead in the water.
    20 some years ago, I was packing to move to Arizona.
    My mother called me, and said the water pipe to her house broke.
    I said call my brother, I didn't have time to fix it.
    She said, I had a plumber fix it already.
    But he took out a 1/2" galvanized pipe and put in a 3/4" copper pipe.
    I said, that is better.
    She said No it isn't.
    He screwed this Thingy into the old galvanized pipe and soldered the copper pipe into it.
    I said , that is a Male adapter, and that is the way you do it.
    She said, But he Soldered it, solder contains lead, and lead in the water causes brain damage.
    I told her the plumber uses Lead free solder.
    She went out to my dads garage, and picked u a roll of solder that has been in the garage as long as I can remember.
    She said, the Label says, 50% lead and 50% tin
    I told her that was old 50/50 solder that they do not use for plumbing any more, and the solder looks almost black from age, and the solder your plumber used was shiny silver.
    She said, Well a plumber isnt going to bring OLD solder to my house, that is why it was still shiny.
    Giving up arguing with her, I said.
    Where did you grow up.
    Ohio she said.
    I asked , how old thas the house you grew up in was, and where were the water pipes.
    She said, the house was 100 years old, and the pipes were bolted to the walls in the basement.
    So I asked, What were those pipes made out of.
    She said Lead, and they were really heavy.
    I told her, Yes Mom, You are right, Lead in the water does cause brain damage.

Boolit Master
    Great story LAGS

I Just do not believe they will dig up and remove all the lead pipe in Flint or any other city.Yes they would get tons and tons of lead.But that would mean some one has to pull the stuff then haul it to the scrap yard.Then all the damge from the diging would have to be repaired.And they would get what 20 to 30 cents a pound.Besides Obumer sure is not going to put the lead back into the Public system to begin with.I agree it will all be labled toxic and sent off where no one will ever be able to use it for ammo.If any is dug up at all.