MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7-30 Waters: good, bad, ugly?

7-30 Waters: good, bad, ugly?

I found a super 14 Contender barrel in decent shape with an older Redfield 2x6 mounted using a decent base and three rings. Barrel looks great but has some bluing off the muzzle. (That could be easily recrowned someday...)

i have no dies or 30-30 brass to form, but I just got a Lee 7mm soupcan and am close to loading up some 7mmTCU for my 10" barrel.

I don't hunt, but I live in whitetail country and antelope a short ways north. Hopefully a prairie dog outing coming this spring. Otherwise it's paper and targets out to 200 yds.

any random thoughts on the 7-30 Waters?

The 7x30 Waters is a fantastic 200 yard Whitetail round. I have a Contender Carbine and long for one in a levergun. The single shot has the advantage of having many more bullets options. Another great caliber that did not deserved to be ignored.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 23" carbine barrel in 7-30 Waters. I really like it. I also picked up a Super 14 barrel in 7-30 Waters but I haven't shot it yet but based on the carbine barrel I should really like it.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-01-2020 at 07:54 PM.

I'm anxiously awaiting two new barrels from Bullberry; one is chambered in 7-30 Waters. Both are 14" Contender barrels. I'm looking at a pile of components and dies right now, just itching to get started. Obviously, I think the 7-30 Waters is a great choice.

I am debating how I can swing it. It's in another town, but I have to drive there later today. It also comes with a nice forend as well. I would just have the later expense of dies and finding some brass to form.

Midway has Federal 7-30 Waters ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Brass is everywhere and dies aren't too expensive. It's a nice round. Wish the still made that float nose 139 Hornady. I haven't seen that bullet in years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Brass is everywhere and dies aren't too expensive. It's a nice round. Wish the still made that float nose 139 Hornady. I haven't seen that bullet in years.
    so do i!!!! the last 139gr fp i got was from a local gun shop, they had dust on it. i think hornady discontuned it.

my dad has a 7x30 waters in tc contender with a 14" barrel and a muzzle brake. it shoots a 115gr speer hp with imr4895 and does it kill deer. he takes them behind the shoulder, even tho he has killed a couple with shoulder shots. he is thinking about getting 139gr sst.

My super 14 7-30 is a shooter . I have done 4 shots in 1 1/2" @ 200 yd. with 120 sierra ' s . It shoots cast great as well . If it was me I would be on the way there.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

PM incoming

Boolit Master
    I bought a new '94 Winchester (24" barrel) in 7-30 Waters not long after the rifles were introduced. I shot only cast bullets in it. As I recall, they were reasonably accurate. I quickly tired of the cartridge and sold the rifle. While I'm looking for no arguments, I'll mention that I've killed a couple or so small Texas deer with 180-190 grain .30 caliber cast bullets. I consider .30 caliber as a humane minimum for deer hunting with cast bullets. I suspect the 7-30 Waters would be a great deer round with jacketed bullets at maximum or near maximum velocity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I bought a new '94 Winchester (24" barrel) in 7-30 Waters not long after the rifles were introduced. I shot only cast bullets in it. As I recall, they were reasonably accurate. I quickly tired of the cartridge and sold the rifle. While I'm looking for no arguments, I'll mention that I've killed a couple or so small Texas deer with 180-190 grain .30 caliber cast bullets. I consider .30 caliber as a humane minimum for deer hunting with cast bullets. I suspect the 7-30 Waters would be a great deer round with jacketed bullets at maximum or near maximum velocity.
    i'm just wishing here, but a 140-150gr ranch dog in 7mm would be great for cast. esp in the 7x30 and 7-08.

Boolit Master

I have a Martini action Waters and it shoots subMOA with 120s. I don't have my info available but I believe 4895 is the powder IIRC.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small frame Martini 003.jpg   Small frame Martini 002.jpg   Small frame Martini 001.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I have a super 14 in 7-30 Waters. It's a terrific shooter.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

sadly it didn't take off as much as i'd hoped , yup i'm a fan. it's the only 'tender barrel in my stable that i have twins of ... that may not sound like it's saying much but it really is , i've only one 7 mm mold that fits , my rcbs sil mould is too fat nosed as such i tend to shoot a fair amount of the nosler 120 grain BT's , they rock ! until i got a 7 mm mold ( that fit ) i used quite a few hornady 139 gr btsp's and various 175 grainers to fire form , like most calibers in the tc's it's just fun lolz
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    I have a Bullberry 22" contender carbine in 7x30 Waters. I use 130 speer and 120 nosler Jwords. It is accurate and deadly on Whitetails. I don't know how much you would lose with the 14" bbl. Case forming from 30-30's is a snap although the cases end up a bit shorter than factory. My rifle has never seen a factory round.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i'm just wishing here, but a 140-150gr ranch dog in 7mm would be great for cast. esp in the 7x30 and 7-08.
    NOE's 135grn Thor, by all standards, should be The One. Mine does throw a fat nose, however. Been thinking about ordering their push thru sizing set up, and doing the nose size routine.

Interesting how many variables show up, in our little casting game. The Thor bullet has a fat nose, and to get it chambered, I have to seat it with the bullet base all the way down to the first step of the shoulder. The RCBS 145grn SIL on the other hand, slides into my chamber like butter going on toast. Both boolits, of the same alloy.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Banned
    the noe 135gr thor is just what my dad needs. he only gets shots at deer at 30-40 yards away with his 'tender. its darn near what he has. i'll have to tell him about that one. thank you.

Boolit Buddy

Nothing scientific at all, but I did get in one good range session last fall. The effect on the berm, from the Thor, was absolutely stunning, in comparison to the RCBS Sil bullet, and the Lee 130 grn Soupcan. I'm saying it should be one Heckuva deer slug!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first 7x30 Super 14 YEARS ago after a gunsmith buddy let me shoot his. I've taken over 100 whitetails, elk & many other critters with mine. I found a second barrel, a 12" with the muzzle brake, at a very fair price & didn't slow down buying it. I didn't "need" it,,, but I didn't let it get away. BOTH shoot very well. I use a 150 grn Ballistic tip in mine,,,, and it's deadly accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast