Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Smelting Day!

Boolit Grand Master

Smelting Day!

Weather is perfect, coffee "cans" full of sorted WW's are blocking the door to my shed, I have some new NOE ingot moulds to go with my Lymans and my pile of ingots is getting a little low. Putting the final touches on my PPE plan over one more cup of coffee and I'll get started. I didn't have a face shield or welding gloves when I first used my smelting setup but will be using them today.
    A big pot of molten lead over a propane burner scares me, I guess that's a good thing.

ETA: Yes, had a visit from the Tinsel Fairy at the end of my last smelting session. Had a rusty iron saucepan nearby and decided to pour my leftover lead into it. No serious injuries but a lesson learned.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 01-30-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, had a few buckets of WW's that I'd forgotten about. I now have about 350 lbs of ingots waiting for me to recover enough to tote them inside. All that sorting was a bit tough on the manicure, tho.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

August of 2011 join date and no pics of the bounty. I just don't know what this place is coming to.

Congrats on the good day!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    August of 2011 join date and no pics of the bounty. I just don't know what this place is coming to.

Congrats on the good day!
    Thanks, I know the rules but my phone doesn't care, lol. I can't send a pic from my house, even to myself. Even then my netbook doesn't like posting pics.
    Yes, a good day but my back will try to convince me otherwise tomorrow, lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad the weather allowed you to get out. I have 600-800# of sorted weights waiting to be smelted. The ole back is dreading this, but the rest of me is about ready. Cabin fever is a good motivator!

Boolit Grand Master

Moving about is very slow and painful this morning and the irony is that I may miss a shooting trip with a buddy this morning.
    Can only smelt this time of year around here, heavy clothes would be miserable here in the summertime and you have to wait until sundown to handle the ingots with bare hands.
    Was a bit disappointed that there weren't more stick-on's. I'm running low on pure lead for alloying hunting boolits and casting round balls. Good news is my sister is having some plumbing work done and they saved some old lead pipe for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Ibuprofen is your is your friend!!
    Ask me how I know!

Boolit Master
    +1 on the IB.sounds like a real good day

Boolit Grand Master

IB indeed! I can't do the Rx stuff so thank goodness IB works very well for me.

Boolit Grand Master

As promised. Yep, it happened. Even came up with "before" and "after" pics! Even had a little bonus in one off the buckets, I guess it's an emergency WW harvest tool, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0884.JPG   IMG_0881.JPG  

Boolit Grand Master

Redemption. Good looking pile.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I like art, especially art from found objects being recycled. That was beautiful man *sniff*.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, we believe you now! Nice days work. Hows the back?

Boolit Master
    Nicely done TX hope you back dosen't hurt too bad.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Work through the pain, TX, work through the pain!!! Its a downhill slide now!!! HAHAHA!!!! Seriously, a good day's work!! And yes, IB is your little friend. Have a good one.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, back's a little sore yet but it was easier to get out of bed today than it was yesterday. OK, a lot sore but I'll get thru it. Won't be able to bend over to stow my stash for awhile but it looks good on my bench.

Perma-Banned

Yeah, you can use that "emergency" tool in the parking lot, while the wife shops.