Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not pretty but it works well - case cutter

Not pretty but it works well - case cutter

So my neighbor gave me a Lowe’s gift certificate for plowing his driveway last winter when his nephew was house sitting while he and his wife wintered in Hawaii. I told him it was not necessary, that’s what neighbors do, but he insisted.

I picked up a Dremel model 4000 and the quick-release accessory blade kit with the gift certificate.
    Last year I bought a mini chop saw off of eBay with the specialty fixture to cut down resized 223 cases to 221 Fireball or 300 Whisper. Da@% saw broke after the first use.

I found the red Dremel holder on eBay and thought I might make my own brass cutter.
    The setup doesn’t look like much but it works really, really well. I used file folder carriers from an old file cabinet as the guide rails and a 1”x3” piece of scrap wood as the slider. Using the Dremel I eyeball cut a recess into the wood. It nests the case perfectly and is tightly secured by light finger pressure. The small piece of metal on the back end of the case acts as a stop so I get the exact same length cut on every case. From there it was just a matter of screwing the guide rails to the table. Very simple. I will likely mount the whole assembly on a piece of hard maple shelving I have for easy storage.

Getting the reforms cut to length was the biggest problem converting 223 Rem to 221 Fireball. I tried a mini tubing cutter and the mini chop saw before I arrived at this solution.

I wish I had never purchased the el cheapo mini chop saw but that was an integral part of the “system”.

I really like this Dremel.

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Banned
    Looks like its going to be more trouble than its worth. Just my opinion here. I also purchased a small chop saw and a fixture off ebay for cutting down 5.56/.223 brass. It has worked flawlessly with the exception of the time I accidentally got several brass coated steel cases and promply trashed the blade. As a result of this action I use a 10 oz speaker magnet and make a pass over my brass I wish to cut back and remove any steel cases that I find. Haven't lost any blades since I started doing this. Your holding the case how? Hopefully not by hand as that would be very dangerous as is the blade out there in the open. I see A potential finger cutter with this setup.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    You're right, it's not pretty..........it's inspired. I say that because virtually all other case choppers rely on the cutter being moved. You've taken the idea of a saw mill and implemented it with a readily available tool, which many of us already have. I'm going to build one and the only change I'm going to make is to substitute a piece of angle metal, arranged as a "V" shaped trough to help hold the case. Final trimming will be done in my regular tool.

Is there a specific name for the Dremel holder? In other words, what search parameters will work the best?

Auw, don't you just love it when a plan comes togather.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    Thats a nice K.I.S.S brass cutter ! Maybe u can put a little wooden block on the slideblock so the case can rest to it . Less chance of cutting your fingers and always a straight cut .

Thanks for the good words.

I like this a lot better than the chop saw approach. I can see everything that is going on unobstructed.

The V-groove I put in the wood block holds the case surprisingly secure with just a small amount of downward pressure. Hands are well out of the way during cutting but a safety guard is not a bad idea. The Dremel makes short work of cutting on high RPM. The cutter is not the least bit labored.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Here's an eBay link to the clamp I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dremel-tool-...wAAOSwDNdVia00

Boolit Master

That is a good set-up. I just cut down 100 L.C. 5.56 cases for the 7.62x40WT with my Dremel.

Still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my barrel!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    It has worked flawlessly with the exception of the time I accidentally got several brass coated steel cases and promply trashed the blade.
    I keep a magnet on the feed tube clamp on my collators to catch them, this one is with a 9mm case but it works the same with .223, it doesn't let the case drop and shuts off the collator.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I'm going to build one and the only change I'm going to make is to substitute a piece of angle metal, arranged as a "V" shaped trough to help hold the case.
    The reason I cut the groove into the wood instead of using a metal V was to accommodate the mild taper. The resultant cut is pretty square. Probably won't matter because ... like you said ... the final cut is done in the finish trimmer. From here I have to do the final trim then neck turn with the K&M tool.

Boolit Master

I love it.

and learned about the dremel tool holder also. Need one of those...I'll think of the reason why soon.

Hope you're wearing hearing protection; those dremels put out ear-damaging sounds at 3/4 and up speed
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned
    Looking at this again after my second cup of coffee I see it differently. I do like the slide action and your groove you cut in the wood block. The saw blade out there where it could cause harm to a finger, joint or such still bothers me however. I do like your innovation in putting it together the way you did. When correctly setup one should never have to re-trim or do a final trim on the brass. My setup as follows... the chop saw to length followed by the Hornady Case prep Trio and their ready to lube and run thru the sizing die. Mine do not require any additional trim and deburr operations as they are sized to minimum length after being run thru the sizing die and finally checked with the go no go gauge.

Boolit Master

It doesn't have to be pretty. All it has to do is cut the case to a rough length. I like it - and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to boot.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post

Hope you're wearing hearing protection; those dremels put out ear-damaging sounds at 3/4 and up speed
    You're right, ear plugs work well.

Boolit Grand Master

I think this tool is a better idea/design than a chop saw (lifelong machinist/mechanic). The shell holder/slide will make loading the case easier than holding it in a vise and should be easier to keep the case square with the cutting tool. In many instances, simple is better...

BTW, workmanship looks good!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Refine it a little if you think you need to but I like it. Clean and simple.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Looks good!

My issue making 221's is reaming the necks, I was using a Hardinge lathe at work but no more home project rules have ended that. Time consuming at home compared to how it was.

Boolit Master
    Nice job! Very clever use of existing equipment.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    I have one of those Dremels, too, thanks to my son. He got it for me as a Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    My issue making 221's is reaming the necks, I was using a Hardinge lathe at work but no more home project rules have ended that. Time consuming at home compared to how it was.
    I use the K&M tool that reams and turns at the same time. Some complain it is hard to adjust but I've never had that problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast