RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad day in the woods

Moderator Emeritus

Loggers always reminded me of the Marines. There's nothing they think they can't do, and very, very little that they ACTUALLY can't do! You guys have my respect and admiration. FWIW.

Boolit Master

Hope you didn't grease yer backside either. Get your rig righted and back at it.

Wish I was up there I'd give you a hand. Didn't know it was that warm up there. Just a little spell or has it been like that for a while?
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

In Remembrance
    The weather has been off and own, but all in all unreasonably warm for the interior, 24 below or so is the coldest it has been this year, with days pushing 30 above, even as high a few days at a time, several times. A couple of days have even hit 35 and 40.

Moderator Emeritus

Local county road grader was pushing back the snow with his wing. One spot by my house drifts bad so he decided to push it back into the field with the front blade. It has been unseasonably warm here too and he discovered the ground is not frozen and buried it pretty bad. City guy brought down the front end loader and was able to finally get him out after breaking 3 chains. He was luck and the back was only down about 6 inches, front sank to the axle. They were in there later with a cat to push the drift back and smooth out the holes. Some broken chain parts just missed my house, I heard them ping off the tower and found them at the base. Took them over and they asked where that came from, it landed 75 feet from the grader. After that they tossed some blankets over the chains to stop flying parts.

In Remembrance
    Good thing they worked for the city or county, using a chain would have got them fired on most real jobs, hopefully they learned something before they kill someone.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icy roads jan 29 2016.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	159502

A 4X4 parked in the bush at 56 degrees north...
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Should I send Girty up there to help you out?

Just glad you were able to walk away all in one piece.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Starmac I take it you were not going to fast, you never mentioned anything coming through the winsheild. Anytime you walk away from a semi rollover it is a good day just a bad moment. Hope you get it out this weekend.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderator Emeritus

City maintenance guy is not very bright... he flushed hydrants in the middle of a snowstorm. Started at 30 degrees, 1 hour later it was 0... giant ice skating rink in the road. And he froze that hydrant and broke it.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Good thing they worked for the city or county, using a chain would have got them fired on most real jobs, hopefully they learned something before they kill someone.

In Remembrance
    Well we got it unloaded and stood back on it's feet this evening. Reloaded it and I brought the load to town, but it was way to late to unload.
    I will be giving her a good going over, but as it stands one low beam and one cablight aren't working. Both of these are on the uphill side go figure.
    The mirror bracket is toast and the turn signal on the bracket isn't working, but not broken, probably a wire.
    We broke 2 of the three id lights on the trailer unloading the logs, but they still worked, again go figure.
    The mirror bracket is the only thing that got bent, but the snow was mid thigh deep.
    A guy couldn't get any luckier. lol

Now some more guys couldn't get any unluckier. Three guys in a late model chevy pickup came by and stopped, while I was waiting for the log loader to show up. One of them had a bull permit, so they were looking. I told them they would be meeting a log truck and a loader, so try to find a place to get out of the way. I also told them they would be blocked in for several hours after the loader got here, so they decided to turn around and go back the other direction. They started backing into the turnout I was in and the driverside wheel flipped out, sitting the pickup on the ground blocking the road. The lower ball joint had broken. I pulled them out of the road (now they are blocking the only close place the loader could turn around, but stuff happens.
    I let them use my sat phone to get a tow truck (expensive) headed that way. By that time we were working on it and had the road blocked, so the towtruck had to sit there three hours or more, before he could get to them. I knew the tow truck driver, so hopefully he didn't nail them too hard.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like the only way you would have been luckier would have been to not tip over in the first place.

As for the guys with the broken ball joint-- I think they were pretty lucky to break down next to somebody with a working phone that far back in the bush.

Roobert

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you got it back upright and running with minimal damage. Hope you don't find much more damage.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Glad everything is okay. Pics would be nice every now and then. Beautiful place, just don't know if I could live there.

Boolit Buddy

Glad to hear the damage was minimal, I will give you a ring when we get to Fairbanks on the 10th.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Let's see; you didn't get hurt, minimal damage, about 3 days down time. Other then you flopping on your side as a wakeup call, I believe your guardian angle was busy. Good to hear there was not any serious damage.
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

You're lucky, If you hadn't dumped her in the ditch you might have made it to the scale passed on to the mill and made money.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12