RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: .240 Weatherby Magnum

Boolit Master

.240 Weatherby Magnum

Picked up a used rifle that has been chambered in .240 Weatherby Magnum. Read a couple of threads on other sites about converting .30/06 to .240 Weatherby. One tread suggested that is how it was done originally, but of course there were lots of treads (mostly from people who have never owned one) saying DON'T do it!

Have a set of dies coming and wondering if anyone here has ever made .240 Wea out of .30/06 based brass?? Or, if someone has a book on cartridge conversions and could see if that conversion is included.

When the dies get here I'm going to try it.....may not shoot it but gonna try to make the case.

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    interested to see how you go, keep us updated on your success or otherwise.

Boolit Master
    I have Custom Cartridges by Ken Howell. You can use 30-06, but you also need a belt forming die on top of the forming dies. You can also use any 30-06 based case. If you want, I could try to copy the page and email it to you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    I have Custom Cartridges by Ken Howell. You can use 30-06, but you also need a belt forming die on top of the forming dies. You can also use any 30-06 based case. If you want, I could try to copy the page and email it to you.
    That would be great. RustyReel@embarqmail.com Thanks a ton!!

Boolit Master
    Dumped this project PDQ! Here was my inspiration - http://reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11215 (moderator please delete if this is a no-no).

Got my dies in today and lubed up a 270 case with imperial sizing wax. Put the die in my old Herters Super Model 3 that I use for case forming and gave it a try. Got the case to go about 2/3 of the way in but couldn't budge it any more. I could see were the belt would be formed as the case was squeezed but no way was it going all the way in. Cudos to the Imperial Sizing Wax as I'm sure most other lubes would have resulted in a stuck case.

Maybe it can be done with a larger press, or with proper case forming dies, but by the time I purchase those I may as well buy some "real" .240 Weatherby brass. Only need about 20 anyway. Going to put an ad in the WTB section.

Boolit Master
    It was worth a shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the update, if 240 brass becomes unobtainable I would give it a go.
    Purchased 100 factory rounds when I got my 240 and think I will probably be looking for a new barrel before I need more brass.