Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rem 788

Thanks for the input guys.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    For about 12 years, a 788 in .22-250 was my every day tractor and truck gun on the ranch.

Early on, I needed a trigger upgrade. When our local gunsmith's efforts did not net the results I was wanting, I had him install a Canjar single set trigger and the local coyote and grey digger population started taking a beating!

I still have that rifle and trigger and plan to get her back up and going with a new barrel ...... my j-word slugs are turning sideways at close range ..........

Three 44s

Banned

I ran across two in a local shop yesterday, one of the short ones in 7mm-08 which had a synthetic stock on it and a standard one in .243. I can't really use either, but someone will get a good rifle at that shop.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought one just after I got out of the Army. A left hand 308 Win with a 4X Weaver on it. Traded it to a lgs for what I don't remember.
    I saw a lh 6mm at a lgs here in phx a couple of months ago right after I bought a 96 Mauser from them. Had to pass on it as the gun budget was already depleted.
    My only complaint with my 788 was the magazine would rattle a little when carrying it with the sling. So I carried in it my hands most of the time. Sure was an accurate rifle and fast to chamber another round.
    I do agree they would be a much friendlier gun to use than some of these cheapies made now. My son has a Savage Axis in 270 Win that shoots factory ammo into less than moa groups consistently so all is not bad.

Mine is a .308

It drives tacks with J words.

Never really put too much cast through it.

I need to change that.

Got the bolt stop problem fixed by the way. Thanks guys.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Buddy
    Took my 308 up to the gravel pit today and shot it. Haven't been able to find the stool for my shooting bench though so shooting off the hood of the bronco. I'm using load's from Lee's book using BLC-2 and they get what I though was a bit hot for cast. The bullet's are Lee 180gr and tumble lubed. Fired 25 rounds through it and not one speck of leading. Five shot's each from 32.0 grs to 36.0 grs. Lee claim's 2150 fps at 36 grs and pressure of 34,700 lbs. have some powder coat on the way. Wondering what will happen with it. Compared to alox, I'd think there's less friction in the bullet's travel through the barrel. Wonder if it will effect velocity. Illl set up my chronograph when I find a stool to use. BTW, absolutely no sign of pressure.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 788 in 223, Its a fantastic shooter, I read a blog a few years ago on how Remington put them out as a CHEAPER (lower line) rifle, they stopped selling them because they were to good and cut into the higher end rifle sales. So i read.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSWAGER View Post
    I have a 788 in 223, Its a fantastic shooter, I read a blog a few years ago on how Remington put them out as a CHEAPER (lower line) rifle, they stopped selling them because they were to good and cut into the higher end rifle sales. So i read.
    I read the same when researching mine when I first bought mine. Never could understand why you wouldn't just increase the retail and leave a great gun on the market.

Boolit Master
    What makes me sick is I owned one in 44 magnum. Let it get away that's what makes me sick that gun would drive tacos at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    What makes me sick is I owned one in 44 magnum. Let it get away that's what makes me sick that gun would drive tacos at 100 yards.
    I want a taco driving rifle!!!!

All jokes aside, a 788 in 44mag would be sweet!!

Boolit Master
    Biggest issue with 788s is finding magazines for them. I have seen mags for the 44 caliber go as high as $200. For my 223 my extra mags cost $80 and $50 respectively. Since there are so many out there and so popular you'd hope someone would make aftermarket ones.

Boolit Master

Sufferin' Catfish! Numerich has 788 magazines in stock for reasonable prices! http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...573.htm?page=2

Boolit Master

They're repops, but they work. I bought a few last month

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Sufferin' Catfish! Numerich has 788 magazines in stock for reasonable prices! http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...573.htm?page=2

Quote Originally Posted by bstone5 View Post
    Years back they were cheap at gun shows now they have got expensive.

Wish I had purchased a few more when they were cheap.
    I had a couple of the .22 Rimfire versions and loved them. I've wanted a center fire forever. Saw a .308 in fair condition at LGS last week, made my heart quicken--$650!!

Just. Step. Away. Broke my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    I had a couple of the .22 Rimfire versions and loved them. I've wanted a center fire forever. Saw a .308 in fair condition at LGS last week, made my heart quicken--$650!!

Just. Step. Away. Broke my heart.
    Got one in 308 I'd have to sell if someone offered $650. two mags!

I have a 788 in 44 mag.
    It is a great rifle and very accurate .I have had at least 5 new hunters take their first deer or hog with it.
    I have been after one in 30-30 but the prices have really jumped on them.
    Picked up a Savage 340 in 30-30 it is nice but not a 788. I am going to use it to shoot my cast boolits.
    Saw a 788 243 win at last gun show for $325 but passed it up. I do know the guy that had it might have to go pick it up.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have two, one in 222Remington, scary accurate and deserves a better scope (haha! It has one of those old TV screen scopes), the other in 22/250 with a dodgy and annoying magazine which I haven't persisted with as I have three other 22/250s (twit!).

Great guns, but be careful afield as a few friends lost bolts which pretty much leaves you with some spare parts. Always wanted one in 30/30, but have never seen one in Australia.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I had a 788 in .243. Local gun shop helped me work up a varmint load for it. Hornady 60 grain boat tailed hollow points, 30 grains of dupont 3031 and CCI primers.

Busted many a crow out to 300+ and if the wind was down 400 yards.

Explosive is the only word that describes that bullet hitting something.
    IMR3031 in the 243 has given me amazing accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I've heard the same story about Remington discontinuing the 788 as it was too accurate and cutting into the sales of the model 700. Had one years back and used to pot chucks on my uncles farm in Pa. Scary accurate, my uncle tried it out and bought a savage 340? in 222 which he made a boot for his tractor and carried it every where he went on a 160 acre farm. Came in handy during calving time as he had to get momma and the calf back in the barn as they had a big problem with wild dogs going after the cattle. Frank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast