Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Finer bead front sights?

Boolit Master

Finer bead front sights?

Does anyone know where to get standard dovetailed front sights with slightly finer beads? The basic ones by Williams, Marbles, etc. all seem to have 1/16th beads. I'd like something just a bit finer, say about 3/64ths or so. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it can be.

Boolit Master
    I've not seen or heard of any.
    I'd first check Brownells catalog. Then if they didn't have anything,,, I'd get the 1/16th,,, and slowly, gently sand away the bead a bit.

Boolit Master

Have you checked with NECG? not sure they would have this, but they do sell quality products.

Boolit Master
    About two minutes with a jeweler's file will see a 1/16" bead become 3/64". Just saying.

I routinely replace the beads on my hunting rifles with gold from my old wedding band. Gold doesn't tarnish like the base metal factory beads, and the new beads can be filed to any size I want in the process- not to mention finally finding a good use for that darned wedding band!

Rifle sight beads have long been standardized @ 1/16" (fine) and 3/32" (coarse), so as gnoahhh posted, you'll have to work one out on your own - unless you install a (Lyman) globe front sight with one of the fine inserts that give you the sight picture desired..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    About two minutes with a jeweler's file will see a 1/16" bead become 3/64". Just saying.

I routinely replace the beads on my hunting rifles with gold from my old wedding band. Gold doesn't tarnish like the base metal factory beads, and the new beads can be filed to any size I want in the process- not to mention finally finding a good use for that darned wedding band!
    Right on, I traded my old wedding band and the engagement ring I gave her for a rifle and a box of parts, 03a3 stuff and some ammo. Felt like I got the better part of the deal