Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC and my Glock

Boolit Master

PC and my Glock

Powder coating has been around for a while now, I've coated the .358, .452, .429 .30, .243 calibers with success. I wonder if anyone is coating for their Glock Polygonal barrels.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Yes, I'm almost certain I've read accounts of people doing that. You still have to make sure your bullets fit your barrel, but supposedly it works pretty well.

Vendor Sponsor

yes Glock 19 and a Noveski 300 Blackout pushing slightly over 1900 FPS, PC, no gas check, and Polygonal rifling very very accurately
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Been shooting PC bullets in my Glocks for two years now, just like a jacketed bullet only better.

PC is not just a replacement for grease on a bullet, it is actually a jacket that has bonded to the metal. Even though PC is cured at 400 degrees it is a thermoset plastic when once cured it's properties change. After PC cures it can withstand temperatures over a thousand degrees, which protects the bullet base from gas erosion like a gas check. The tough, hard PC coating also resists the shear force that tears away at the alloy of a standard lubed bullet allowing greater pressure than what the alloy would dictate. When PC bullets are tumbled and cooked base down the PC on the base of the bullet tends to fill in the imperfections left by the sprue cut and leave a flat base. The flat base gives better accuracy just like a gas check because the bullet is steered from the base.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot two polygonal rifled pistols with PC'd boolits. I had to work to find the right size as slugging isn't easily measured. Both pistols are H&K P30L's in 9mm and 40S&W. PC works fine and no leading.

Ed C

Personal experience with PC boolits in Glock 22 .40sw and Glock 20 10mm auto have been great! I've used several different brands of PC with a 175g Lee boolit sized .401 and all have performed just like jacketed only much cheaper especially in the 10. Ive loaded both calibers with Longshot and Power Pistol with great results. The 10mm loads are an estimated 1225-1250fps (based off of Hogdons data, don't have chrono to confirm) with no leading at all

Boolit Master
    I tried Lee 200gr SWC TL with HF red and 12bhn (pre coated) boolits in a Glock 30S? A slim 45auto. I checked the bore after each magazine. The barrel was as clean after 50 rounds as it was when we started except for the typical gun powder fouling.

I know 50 rounds does not prove anything but from my experience with shooting cast boolits it does show very good promise.

Motor

Boolit Master
    No leading in glocks even when I was tumble lubing. That included some hot 10mm

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone, from past experience with other firearms and a seeing such clean bores I thought this would be the response. Only thing that would possibly make this any better would be the use of Ben's lube BLL and I've used this with success. This is going to give me the chance to shoot my Glock more. Thanks to all again.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot PC in G34, G35, G22, G23, G27 and G42 with ZERO leading or fouling. I've pushed 95 grain pills to 1450+ FPS in my 34 with excellent accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by khmer6 View Post
    No leading in glocks even when I was tumble lubing. That included some hot 10mm
    I second this.

Boolit Buddy
    My only Glock was stolen a couple of years ago, but my Kahr PM9 is a polygonal barrel. I can EASILY push that little 105 grain Lee semi wadcutter out of my tiny subcompact barrel at over 1450....so fast it shoots about a foot low @ 7 yards...with ZERO leading.

NONE.

After a range session, the barrel seems cleaner than with Jacketed.

I shoot PC out of my G20sf @ 1200fps.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Oh people actually think about things like this?

Heck, I just coat and it is good for ALL guns as far as I am concerned and I have had no issues with doing that. I do want to get some GC for the .357 loads, but the last ones I shot seemed to work out fine for me with NO gc... Matter of fact, .357 is NOTHING compared to my .44 mag it seems now. I think I have been broken because .357 and .38 spl are both bunny farts in my book now. Of course, I need to make some H-110 loads for the .357 so maybe there is hope for it still...

Boolit Buddy

Had nothing but trouble shooting PC out of my Glock 36 (.45 ACP). Sized bullets to .452 and it does not like them. This is a factory barrel. Is this what I'm having problems with?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DxieLandMan View Post
    Had nothing but trouble shooting PC out of my Glock 36 (.45 ACP). Sized bullets to .452 and it does not like them. This is a factory barrel. Is this what I'm having problems with?
    Need specific information, are you having leading, feeding, chambering or accuracy problems?

Boolit Buddy

It's a chambering problem. Bullets will not chamber correctly. OAL is fine, they fit the sizing die fine but they will not feed into the chamber. My other .45 has no problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by DxieLandMan View Post
    It's a chambering problem. Bullets will not chamber correctly. OAL is fine, they fit the sizing die fine but they will not feed into the chamber. My other .45 has no problem with them.
    What bullet? You may be using too much powder causing the nose to be too large a dia for the bbl throat. As noted above, I am shooting PC bullets in my stock G20sf, no issues & with better accuracy than a plated bullet.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy

I'll try that and that may be an issue but some PC bullets will work fine in the same Glock and others will get stuck.

Boolit Master
    A 45ACP headspaces off the mouth, so I determine the best OAL for a bullet and gun combination by sizing and trimming a 45 ACP case to exactly .895". Then I use a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel make two opposing cuts starting at the mouth of the case and going back a little past the seating depth of the of the particular bullet I want to fit to the gun. With this altered case you should be able to just start a bullet into the case mouth by hand. There should be enough tension between the cuts to hold the bullet at it's base. With the gun barrel removed push the case into the chamber. The bullet will be pushed back into the case and stop when the bullet engages the lands of the rifling. Remove the case by catching the cartridge rim with any tool, being careful to maintain the overall length of the case. Using a dial caliper or micrometer measure the length of the case and bullet. What you have now is the maxium OAL for that bullet/barrel combination. This should allow you to find the problem with your Glock 36. As a rule Glock barrels usually have a generous chamber throat. This technique works equally well with 9mm, except the length of the case is trimmed to .750".