RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Homemade 300blackout cutoff jig

Homemade 300blackout cutoff jig

Getting ready to finish up my ar project, decided on 300black out. Plan and simple, something to plink something to hunt with. I was given a mid flat rate box full of once fired 556/223. So I have a lot of brass to convert. After a lot of research I came up with using 3/8 aluminum channel, scrap wood, shelve pins, epoxy putty, and grilla glue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1CE4AB6-7144-40BC-9F39-9D200EC43AA9_zpsupboknel.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	159172

Only change is I took quick steel and made a molded raised area for the brass. Kinda a prototype, right now. I need to figure out a stop so I don't cut thou the channel. Cleaning up the mounting as well

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by corey012778 View Post
    Getting ready to finish up my ar project, decided on 300black out. Plan and simple, something to plink something to hunt with. I was given a mid flat rate box full of once fired 556/223. So I have a lot of brass to convert. After a lot of research I came up with using 3/8 aluminum channel, scrap wood, shelve pins, epoxy putty, and grilla glue. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1CE4AB6-7144-40BC-9F39-9D200EC43AA9_zpsupboknel.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	159172Only change is I took quick steel and made a molded raised area for the brass. Kinda a prototype, right now. I need to figure out a stop so I don't cut thou the channel. Cleaning up the mounting as well
    Save yourself some time and buy one off ebay. I bought one off ebay and its made probably 2k 300 blkouts without a problem. I can see the I want to make it idea but in this case its a no brainer just go with the ebay one. Took me about 4 cases to get the length perfect and I haven't had to touch it since.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Save yourself some time and buy one off ebay. I bought one off ebay and its made probably 2k 300 blkouts without a problem. I can see the I want to make it idea but in this case its a no brainer just go with the ebay one. Took me about 4 cases to get the length perfect and I haven't had to touch it since.
    good job, I love making my own stuff. Retired so have time to fab up stuff, if it works great. If not nothing lost. Keep it up.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    $11. to $40 for those off amazon and ebay. channel cost $8 for 5ft (around here), scrap wood from past projects. glues and epoxies left over from other projects. right now, not doing much else so I have time.

Boolit Buddy
    This list is all about doing it yourself, good for you. I've made my jig with a piece of oak scrap and a hinge, works great, it was free and I've done about 1500 pieces so far and still have my fingers. If just buying it was best, we'd all be shooting bought cast. My favorite part of all threads is the innovator stuff, just amazing minds out there.

If just buying it was best,
    If it were about saving time just buy 300 brass.

I didn't see anything worth buying when I looked around so I built my own case cutter as well. Still haven't seen anything that comes close to it for sale.

Little update
    changed the blade out from the one that the $29 chop saw came with. Worth the $15.

Cut about half a plastic shoe box of federal brass, a few small hang ups but took advantage of them and cleared the jig.

think when I make the next version I am going to make wood base and use my channel idea

Boolit Master

Heads up; most 223/5.56 brass WON'T be a good conversion for 300 BO. LC brass is the only brass I will convert from this time forward due to brass thickness. I got to many failures in chambering my ammo when using other brass. I have several thousand pieces of LC, so no problem. Get yourself a Sheridan slotted case gauge and you'll see what I mean.

I have used many different brands, myself. This is a good thread on the subject.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=88599

what is entrusting, I found a chart some where that breaks it down from good, maybe and no go. can't find it now.

if I do have problems I have some lc headstamp already convert I bought.

what is entrusting, I found a chart some where that breaks it down from good, maybe and no go. can't find it now.
    First post in the link I posted.

Boolit Master

Most of the other brass will chamber in my H&R Handi; but won't chamber or cycle in my AR's. Never had a failure with LC brass.

I have lc brass that I bought that where already cut down and sized for 300blk. going to save for hunting loads.

Maybe I just didn't see it, but what blade did you get for $15. And from where? I bought a fiber cut off blade from e-bay. Then I saw that thereis one for metal and one for plastic and othe soft materials. I don't know which one I got and haven't bothered to put it on yet. Cost was $12 for 4 blades. So I don't expect much.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

it is a proxxon blade from amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00