WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman Mold Master is back together

Lyman Mold Master is back together

My old Mold Master 10# pot died about 6 months ago and I have not been able to get it back together until just now. The mica had fallen apart after 35 years or so, and no parts were available. I had it straight wired but it looked unsafe to me. A shooting buddy discovered the other day that mica was in microwave ovens and told me about it. I went to the local Gas and Electric parts house today and sure enough they had a sheet that was .010 thick. They sold me enough to make a replacement part for $3.50. I was amazed that he cut it with scissors. Since it was so thin I used 4 layers for additional strength. Put it back together and plugged it up long enough to see if it was heating, and it was.

Just wanted to share this bit if information so someone else might be able to repair one of theirs.

If I have time tomorrow I will see if it melts lead as it should.

Have a blessed day.

great save of a nice old pot/i have one also and wondered how to keep it running with no new parts.

Le Loup Solitaire
    They were one of the best pots made. IIRC the model was made by the same company that built the Saecos. Certainly worth caring for and restoring when/if necessary. Spraying the outside metal parts with Rusteolum HighTemp BBQ paint keeps any rust away. LLS

Sad news on the old Lyman pot. It won't heat hot enough to pour. Tried it again today, it would melt the rejected bullets that I dumped in it, but wouldn't melt a 1 # ingot. I finally unplugged and removed most of the lead. The Lee ladle pot melted the ingot just fine. Is there any hope, any advice? I sure would like to get it going again, pouring with a ladle has not worked out for me.

Boolit Master

Just sounds like your thermostat switch is shutting off too soon. BTW what was the purpose of the mica. I have one of these old pots but have not looked at it in years.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

The mica holds the pins that are connected to wires that are in turn connected to the thermostat. The pins (2) are threaded on one end and they protrude through the mica to connect to the wall plug in wire. The mica is not a conductor and is very heat resistant.

It is hard to explain.

Boolit Master

there is a fellow in the swapping and selling section who overhauls those pots,check with him.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle