RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Blue Dot and Standard .45 Colt Load

Boolit Buddy

Blue Dot and Standard .45 Colt Load

In reference to .45 Colt loads, I have read that a 270ish grain cast boolit on top of 12.5 grains of Blue Dot is considered a standard pressure load. One article in particular was written by Brian Pearce. Are there any factor information sources that support this data?

Alliant only shows this:

.45 Colt, 250 gr Speer LSWC, Brass-Winchester, OAL 1.6, Barrel 5.5", CCI 300, Blue Dot 12.9, 1,028 FPS

QUESTION: Does anyone dispute that this load is a standard pressure load for the .45 Colt (14,000 psi or less)?

Thank you
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 01-25-2016 at 02:14 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Alliant has decided that some powders previously used for pistol are now only to be listed as shotgun powders. Try to find an older manual or trust your article.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

S.S. according to Alliant's free "Reloader's Guides" that I have, dated 1996 and 2002, they list 11.5 grains with a 250 grain lead bullet and capped with a WLP. Minimum OAL length 1.55" , generating 12,200 C.U.P. and a velocity of 890 f.p.s.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    For standard pressure loads BD is a poor choice anyway. It is very wasteful of powder. Quickload calculates that a load such as you suggest would leave 25% of the powder unburned. For standard loads Unique and Herco would be much more appropriate with close to 100% burned..

Boolit Grand Master

I previously used BD for many different firearms. This was the Hercules stuff but when I bought the newer Alliant BD the powder seems to burn differently. Alliant did test the new BD and put some restrictions on the 357 mag. and advised to not use it at all in the 41mag.
    So keep a watchful eye on the fired cases for signs of excess pressure. The 45 Colt may do fine but I have no experience with it with this cartridge. As stated in the above post Unique ( my choice) or Herco should work better, along with some other brands of powder in the proper range.

Boolit Master
    9mm=lots of unburnt powder

Boolit Master
    I have used 12 grains Blue Dot with Lyman #454424, about 260 grains ww alloy. Muzzle velocity was 780 fps, 4" barrel S&W. That was years ago; my old notes indicate that it was not a particularly accurate load. I also used it in 9mm with a variety of cast bullets and weights; high velocities but accuracy wasn't great with any load combinations. I don't recall any unburned powder.

Speer 14 lists their 260 grain jhp with 13.0 grains Blue Dot. I've used this load and agree that it's a max 14,400 psi load but seems perfectly fine in my midframe Ruger Montado.

I've used 13.5 grains Hercules BD with the Speer 250 grain Gold Dot, and 12.5 grains with the 265 WFNGC bullet that Beartooth Bullets sells.

But mostly, I use 6.8 - 7.0 grains WW231 with a 250 RNFP bullet.

I agree with Doug, my Speer and Lee load books say 13 grains for 250 to 260 gr bullets. So 12.5 for a 270gr bullet sounds just fine.

I have shot many 12.5, 12.8, and 13 gr loads with Lee 250 RF / 255 SWC and found them quite enjoyable. Especially if I was in the mood for full snort loads after too many of my wimpy cowboy loads.

These loads burned clean and really sent bowling pins flying
    Last edited by TMenezes; 03-01-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    I know this is an old thread but I have a question about Alliant Blue Dot used in standard pressure loads in the 45 Colt.
    The Alliant 2019 Reloader’s Guide still shows the same data shown in post #1 of this thread.

My question is:
    In the 45 Colt, would the higher powder charge weight shown for a maximum standard pressure load generate higher muzzle velocity in a long barrel rifle versus maximum charge weights of a faster burning powder still operating at its maximum standard pressure?

Some of the above posts mentioned unburned powder both real and calculated.
    I thought about creating a special custom load to be fired in 24” barrel of my Winchester M73 in order to achieve the highest rifle velocities possible and still keep pressure at the standard 45 Colt level. Maybe the higher charge weights of Blue Dot or 2400 or another powder could be but to better use in a long barrel rifle to get the highest MV.

Currently I’m using max charges of Hodgdon’s CFE-Pistol and getting 1192 fps in my rifle and 994 fps in the 5.5” barrel of my Ruger New Vaquero.

Boolit Bub
    I used 11gr with 255gr cast works well and accurate just meter's like ****.