Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #@#$!*!! Smithy Milling Attachment

Boolit Buddy

#@#$!*!! Smithy Milling Attachment

I am making up a brass mould and yesterday I was milling the channel in the blocks that the jaws of the mould handle fit into.

For strange reason, the quill of the mill actually DROPPED (cut much deeper)while I was doing the milling, and consequently, one of the blocks was ruined. I still can't figure out what was the cause of this mysterous drop, as everything was tightened down and the QUILL SHOULDN'T HAVE DROPPED DOWN AND CUT DEEPER!

Has anyone that has a Smithy Granite lathe/drill combo machine had this problem?

If so, what is the cure?

THANKS

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd like an explaination on this, too. I have ruined a couple high dollar stock blanks on the profile machine, from the cutter slipping. I'm kinda a gorilla, and know danged well they have been put in tight!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Too heavy a feed rate will often pull a mill from a collet.

Boolit Master
    I had a Smithy for about 10 years, Ive found out that it cannot take anything resembling a medium or heavy cut.

A couple months ago I finally had enough and sold it, bought a Bridgeport, that is the cure.

Banned

It is the friction locks. I have the CB1220 XL and found I have to really crank down the locks to the point that I have broken a handle. Trying to cut too deep will let the cutter pull the quill down if the locks are not tight. I have had the mill head swing when cutting too, ruining a part. This cheap machine also has a bad heighth adjustment that will unscrew when cutting and if you loosen the lock for the mill head to swing it, it will drop to the adjustment ring unless you run the adjustment ring back up first.
    I just bought a slightly used Granite but have not picked it up yet. It looks like it will be 100% better then this piece of junk. I can't afford a Bridgeport or even find one.
    Let's face it, the Smithy is a hobby machine and not built to last although the higher priced ones are better. Even the cast iron is harder on the better ones.
    So far a cutter itself has not come loose.

Boolit Grand Master

44 has it, everything has to be tight and no heavy cuts. I have a CB mill and have made a clamp unit for the quill that works quite well. I gave up on the 1220 as I found that the first indication of too heavy a cut was the head of the machine starting to rotate. All that aside i have done a lot of work on a 1220 that I would have hated to do with my mexican milling machine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    my mexican milling machine.

Mexican milling machine..? Is that a 10" mill bastard file?

Boolit Master
    + 1 on the light cut rec.
    I've had the same thing happen on a Bridgeport with nice new, sharp, tooling and everything locked down as tight as I could stand it. For the handle slots, you could use a side mill cutter. You still might not want to make a real heavy cut, but at least the cutter wouldn't be trying to pull itself down into the work.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a Smithy, but I believe my X2 Seig is constructed similar. Try this: move the head down a couple inches using the (tri-handle)coarse feed, then engage the "fine" feed. start down feeding with the fine feed, go down maybe .070 or .080 or a bit more. Now, reach up and pull down gently on the tri-handle coarse feed. If your machine is like mine, it will "flip"or "clunk" down, maybe .050 or so, enough to cause a "gouge cut" like you describe. The solution here is simple: 1) As you are down-feeding with the fine feed, gently apply pressure with the coarse feed handle, and lock at each cut. Or, 2) Spend mega-$$$ and get a bigger, fancier machine. Either way, your problem should go away or at least be minimized.
    lathesmith

I’ll jump on the band wagon here. I’ve had right handed end mills suck their way out of collets on a Bridgeport before. That’s what happens when you get too horney with the feed rate.

A Smithy is not exactly known for being the most rigid machine ever built, so with them you have to be a little extra gentle. Take smaller cuts. Use smaller tools when practical. Use roughing profile tools for your roughing cuts. Take very slight climbing cuts or very slight face cuts for finish passes. Keep everything locked down as tight as you dare when cutting. Take it easy on the feed rate.

That sort of thing doesn’t happen when you run an end mill in a solid holder on a machine that has a NS-50 taper spindle, but then that’s like comparing a dump truck to a wheelbarrow. Be gentle with your wheelbarrow.

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    We used to call them German Mills.

...Long story

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Everyone for your responses.

From now on, will make 'light' cuts and slow feed rates!

Unfortunately their's a glut of used equipment on the market due to our exodus of manufacturing jobs.
    In some cases the equipment even goes to
    China.
    My last “good job” that was one before my last crappy job. Went to China. As did the job before that.
    After they came in , unsolicited, and bid the product cheaper than the raw materials could be purchased here in Illinois they bid on the entire contents of the factory. It all went East in a Westward direction.

Of course the small equipment sells better than the big machines that would take up a pole barn.
    I saw a 1.2 million dollar milling machine go for five figure money a few years ago.

When I still had a job in a machine shop we would receive fliers in the mail every month filled with auction items. So if you're looking for a machine you might stop by your local machine shop and ask if they've any auction fliers laying around. Although most of the bleed out stopped around two years ago since theirs nothing left to shut down.

Sorry if I sound bummed out.

From an embittered man holding on to his guns and religion. lol

Boolit Master
    I was fortunate, I had used my Smithy CB1239 for about 10 years. Finally decided to suck it up, sold the Smithy for 2K.

Shopped around and found an older Bridgeport for $2700 including the VFD for 3 phase and a DRO.

The only bad part is no lathe, so far ive managed.

Many smaller shops are going to CNC and there are a lot of used knee mills out there for a reasonable price. The 3 phase scares a lot of folks off but with a VFD or some other converter its a pretty painless switch.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    .............Naw, that's a Nicholson Mill

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post

From an embittered man holding on to his guns and religion. lol
    I salute you for that sir.

Boolit Master
    thats a pretty common thing I've noticed; especially in aluminium, particularly the softer grades. Last summer I had to make a bunch of gauge-type blocks for a double sine plate set up I used to make tool holders. I would face one side, flip over and mill to rough dimensions and then take the last .055" .010" at a time and leave .005" for a finnish pass. Never had a block that came out bad. This was on a Clausing 4VSQ.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

Don't have any experience with a Smithy or any other all-in-one machines but I have had milling cutters used in friction collets screw their way down into soft materials such as copper, brass, and aluminum.

Solutions:

1. Use straight flute cutters, not helical flute.

2. Use mill holders with set screw and use milling cutters with a 'Weldon" shank. These have a flat on side.

3. Break edge of cutter LIGHTLY with a fine cut stone.

4. Take lighter cuts and just be patient.

This won't keep head from moving on less rigid machines but will help retain cutter in holder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ANeat View Post
    I was fortunate, I had used my Smithy CB1239 for about 10 years. Finally decided to suck it up, sold the Smithy for 2K.

Shopped around and found an older Bridgeport for $2700 including the VFD for 3 phase and a DRO.

The only bad part is no lathe, so far ive managed.

Many smaller shops are going to CNC and there are a lot of used knee mills out there for a reasonable price. The 3 phase scares a lot of folks off but with a VFD or some other converter its a pretty painless switch.

Looks like a nice step pulley mill. I love those old guys! I have an early Variable Speed that has been doing a fine job for me. FORTUNATELY I was familiar with the past maintenance on it so I got a pretty good one. I still need to find the time, money, and parts to fix the power quill feed. Usually I have one of the first 2 but can't manage to put them together to aquire the third. Such is life!
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

I actually prefer those step belt J-heads to the vary-drives. The step belt setup goes forever with little attention. I’ve had to rebuild a vary-drive before. It was no small task. Somewhere I should still have pictures that I took during the disassembly so that I would be sure that I wouldn’t forget anything when it went back together. These days, you can get a small variable frequency drive for a few hundred bucks & make the step heads do the variable speed thing too. The only down side to the drives is that when you run the motor below nameplate RPM, you run at less than full horsepower. An added up side that they have is that most of them can be run with single phase power going in & still give you 3 phase out. Unfortunately, if you need single phase out to the motor, then the variable frequency drives are not an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast