Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Henry Big Boy .41 Mag

Boolit Master
    Looking at mold designs for the rifle ,I am thinking this would be a good one.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=41-250L-D.png

Does anyone have this mold for their Marlin rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I guess I am gonna deal with the removable tube magazine. I ordered one this morning. No idea how soon...or late it will arrive. Looking forward to getting it and the NOE Keith mold.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    KO41, whew...tell us more about that lovely collection of .41's; especially that custom stocked one...how do they shoot? Looks like you're a Skinner aficionado!

Rod
    1894 Cowboy Carbine Limited ordered new. All the S.N. I wanted were gone so I got #999 of 1000, Davidsons kept #1000.
    1894FG bought new at local gun store for $425.
    Used 1894FG I bought for a project, semi-inlet stock from Tree Bone Carving that I did final fit and finish.
    1894S from second run with rubber buttpad..
    I get good accuracy from all of them with jacketed bullets. Best cast bullet so far has been the Ranchdog TL411-255-RF.
    There are some more photos with targets scattered about in the .41 Magnum Data center http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...al-data-center
    I really like Skinner sights and peep sights in general, I also have Skinner sights on several other rifles.

But for the Henry, I think I am going with a scope.

KO

Boolit Master
    Too bad it doesn't come with a pistol grip stock. I have companion rifles for most of my pistol calibers but for the cost of a 41 rifle I don't think it needs a companion that bad.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    Too bad it doesn't come with a pistol grip stock. I have companion rifles for most of my pistol calibers but for the cost of a 41 rifle I don't think it needs a companion that bad.
    I had hoped for a regular brass Big Boy Carbine or a would have preferred a Big Boy Steel Carbine, but I will still get this one because I have many revolvers that are still without a companion rifle.

KO

Boolit Grand Master

I want one! I had to let my Marlins go and miss them. The Henry is a reasonable alternative with traditional rifling and likely a better twist rate.

If they turn out to be quality guns I may have to part with my Ruger 44mag carbine to get one. I have been wanting a match to my 41 3 screw.

Moderator Emeritus

Gee, I wish I wouldn't have seen this thread.

I have the marlin 1894s

I guess if I stumble onto a Henry sitting lonely at thegun store, I suppose I'll let it follow me home, but I ain't gonna order one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    What do you guys think the average retail will be for these? $850.00 seems like a lot to me. Can't you find an old Marlin 1894FG for around that?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    What do you guys think the average retail will be for these? $850.00 seems like a lot to me. Can't you find an old Marlin 1894FG for around that?
    The quotes I got from two stores were $800 and $678. I haven't seen a Marlin 1894FG or any Marlin 1894 .41 Magnum in any store or at a gun show for many years. On the auction websites you will probably need to spend ~ $1500 for a 1894FG.

KO

Boolit Master

Hmm, my dad is going to want to see this thread. It would go nicely with his .41 blackhawk and redhawk. A friend of mine got a .44 big boy steel and it had some of the nicest checker ing I have seen on a production gun. Very well executed.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ko41 View Post
    The quotes I got from two stores were $800 and $678. I haven't seen a Marlin 1894FG or any Marlin 1894 .41 Magnum in any store or at a gun show for many years. On the auction websites you will probably need to spend ~ $1500 for a 1894FG.

KO
    Somewhere around $700 sounds about right for my dealer..
    I am excited about the idea of a Henry since I never owned one.
    Last edited by Clay M; 01-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My dealer tends to be a touch high and he gave me a price of $750ish IIRC. He ordersd mine during the trade show in texas this week. Will have to see what the actual price is when it actually comes in. No idea how quick they will be filling orders.

Boolit Master
    The loading tube that so many seem to worry about is a non-issue to me. All I care about is the gun being accurate, and functioning well. I already have plenty of Marlins.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My local guy sells the steel frame Henry for around $620.00, the Remlin 1894 for $575.00. I think the Henry is well worth the extra $45.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

So much for the wife getting that operation...
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DW475 View Post
    You guys got me fired up for that Henry .41 mag. Placing my order so my Ruger Blackhawk won't be lonely anymore!
    Ditto on that! I missed out on the Marlin .41 when they came out due to budget issues and my .41 Blackhawk has been feeling left out cause the .357 and .45 have big brothers.

I wonder how the Lee 240 grain SWC will fare in this rifle (though my mold was dropping them at closer to 250 from wheel weights)?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    All data is flawed, some just less so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    Looking at mold designs for the rifle ,I am thinking this would be a good one.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=41-250L-D.png

Does anyone have this mold for their Marlin rifle?

...I do...EXCELLENT design. Functions very smoothly through the action. I have only only shot a few rounds out of the carbine but have shot quite a few out of a custom Gary Reeder 5.5" 5 shot. I'm using 22.0 grains of H110 and getting 1450 from the Reeder.

As to the Henry rifles...I have three of the Marlins, LTD, S and CCL (had a FG but just don't like pistol grip stocks on lever guns) so I don't plan on buying one soon. That would have not been the case if they had offered the loop lever 16.5" however... I handled a 20" .44 and a 16.5" .45 Colt last week and really liked the handling and balance of the shorter gun. I emailed the company last week and they said for now the .41 would only be available in 20"...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    ...I do...EXCELLENT design. Functions very smoothly through the action. I have only only shot a few rounds out of the carbine but have shot quite a few out of a custom Gary Reeder 5.5" 5 shot. I'm using 22.0 grains of H110 and getting 1450 from the Reeder.

As to the Henry rifles...I have three of the Marlins, LTD, S and CCL (had a FG but just don't like pistol grip stocks on lever guns) so I don't plan on buying one soon. That would have not been the case if they had offered the loop lever 16.5" however... I handled a 20" .44 and a 16.5" .45 Colt last week and really liked the handling and balance of the shorter gun. I emailed the company last week and they said for now the .41 would only be available in 20"...

Bob
    What gas checks are you using with that mold?

Quote Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
    Ditto on that! I missed out on the Marlin .41 when they came out due to budget issues and my .41 Blackhawk has been feeling left out cause the .357 and .45 have big brothers.

I wonder how the Lee 240 grain SWC will fare in this rifle (though my mold was dropping them at closer to 250 from wheel weights)?
    Ah ha! The Lee SWC. That thing can be a brute seated out and loaded with lotsa 296.
    I'd think it would work great in the Henry. The old Lee round nose too.
    I'd love to load them slow and coast 'em in.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast