RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Henry Big Boy .41 Mag

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Carl
    Good to see one of the carbines in a real photo.
    How does that large lever hole feel ? Do you have a Henry with the regular size lever to compare it to ??
    Thanks.. Like those Rugers sitting there.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Mega jealousy CrazyCarl....lol.

congrats brother...thats a nice looking trio too!
    "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"
    Phil. 4:13

MY 'Staight shooter' FEEDBACK LINK .
    Thank you for utilizing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Boolit Mold

Thanks, guys.

I don't have any other Henrys, but I didn't even notice the lever (in comparison to my Marlins). It just cycles as smooth & sweet as can be. Nice trigger & recoil is negligible with "normal" loads. I don't get along with buckhorns too well, but it was very accurate offhand at 25yds. I'll get 'er out for an extended session soon, but just a quickie range session yesterday convinced me there'll be a 20" .41 in my near future, along with a .357 carbine (my "little" Blackhawk is lonely, too. lol!).

That Bisley SBH Hunter is a beast. Very accurate & just soaks up the recoil.
    Last edited by Crazy Carl; 04-23-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170428_220831.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	194263Can I play too? I picked up this little devil at a LGS yesterday. The gun is as new. I think unfired but no box. Paid $610 plus tax. I do have the older Marlins in 357 and 44 and always wanted the 41 but was snoozing when I should have been buying. It did come with a scope mount. It is going to be fitted with a 2-7 power Leopold.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Truckerdave
    That will make one fine corn cruncher basher.
    We found our's to have a real liking to a 265 gc at 1800+ fps with 296.
    Still watching for more carbines to become available.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

I have a Marlin in 41, and love it, but I would not mind trying one of those Henry's. My Marlin does NOT like any swc type bullets, I do wonder if the Henry will feed them. A couple years ago I found a Lyman 41028 mould that casts a rnfp style bullet that the Marlin just loves. JW

Boolit Master
    My Big Boy Steel .41 has fed every type of bullet I've tried and done so very smoothly. Even XTP's. It's also been very accurate and for me the easiest most natural shooting rifle I have.

Has anyone here tried a Keith type boolit through the Henry .41? My Marlin is pretty finicky about what it will eat, and I ended up buying a RNFP mould just for it, but I much prefer a Keith SWC. Surely by now a few of y'all have tried it.

My favorite "magnum". I would love a 94 Marlin Cowboy so chambered. Or a carbine. I like Henrys but dang they are heavy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dot6 View Post
    Has anyone here tried a Keith type boolit through the Henry .41? My Marlin is pretty finicky about what it will eat, and I ended up buying a RNFP mould just for it, but I much prefer a Keith SWC. Surely by now a few of y'all have tried it.
    I've shot regular 210-215 gr SWC, 220 gr Keith style swc from matts bullets, and rim rocks 240 gr Keith with a 20" Henry I used to own, and the 16" I currently have. Both guns ran about the same.

No problems with a he swc, but the I crimped the 240 Keith bullets in the first groove (so the overall length is pretty long, just fit in the cylinder of my 57 with a couple of tenth s to spare) and found they would hang up occasionally, maybe 2 out of a full tube. Had the same problem with 265 gr lbt's. With the 265's I found if I crimped a bit higher, they would feed more reliably.

Fwiw, no problems feeding any jhp I've tried (gold dots, xtp and sierra )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've run a thousand or more SWC's through mine, no problem. But, I prefer truncated cone flat point bullets, they do feed a little smoother and are a little more accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

Got out to the range today and was holding 2" at 100 yards with 232gr WFN as sized and lubed using Hard Ball Alloy and Tac 2 from Randy Rat sized at .411 launched with a CCI LPP and 17.8gr IMR-4227. Gonna use it as my short range deer rifle again this year.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Sounds like a good combination for short range. Should be moving along pretty well and do all you need done on those corn crunchers.
    If that WFN is the one NOE sells have it also but not yet used as we bought it after returning down here. But next June the 41 Henry goes out with the Marlin for a swim.
    Hoping to have one of those 16 inch 41 carbines sitting at the local FFL when we arrive.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Grand Master

Missionary

It is indeed that mold. It had proven to be more accurate for me than my Lyman 410459 mold.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456