WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: 38-55 with the Lyman 375449

38-55 with the Lyman 375449

I'd like to use a Lyman 375449 (Lyman 2-Cavity Bullet 38-55 WCF (377-379 Diameter) 264 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check) in my almost completed Ariska Type 38 (AKA The Japanese Cowboy). I can't seem to find any loads for this bullet in my books. I was thinking about starting off with 9gr Unique. I figure the action can handle pretty much whatever.

Does anyone use this bullet with a 38-55? If so, how do you like to load it?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

map,

I do. I love this boolit, except the 375 part. The bore on my rifle is .3795 and after working on the mould a lot the biggest I can get is .379+. It works though so I shouldn't whine.

For some years all I used was about thirty grains of AA 2230. That pushes my 449 to about 1,800 fps. My 449s weigh 285 lubed & checked.

I've used a .381 round ball over nine grains of Universal Clays which was too hot. Over 1,400 and leaded.

I'm just starting now into light loads with the 449. I've tried eleven grains of Universal Clays and that gives me just over 1,300 fps with a bit less than one inch groups at 50 yards.

I'm using a Winchester 94 so I'm sure your Ariska is much stronger. Unique and Universal Clays are pretty close in burning speed and other characteristics.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and keep us posted will ya? I'll report back too.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I use this bullet cast of wheelweight alloy (about 280 grs.) in my 1885 Browning Traditional Hunter. I haven't cast the bullets in a while, but I think as-cast diameter is around .379" and I run them through a lube/size die that is slightly larger. I use 19 grs. 5744 (1390 fps), 28 grs. H4895 (1490 fps), or 21 grs. IMR4198 (1460 fps). I've tried many, many, other loads but these have been the most accurate in my rifle, and in the order listed.