Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FYI Bator

Chillwills. Savage, Model 40, single shot 22 cal Hornet

The weather is a problem here to, we had 11" Tuesday.

I have tried lots of loads with only had modest results.

With my gun 12.2 grs of LiLgun with heat treated [300' oven, 1 hour, dropped in ice water] Lino. This started to show good results with 2 trips to the range, them the weather move in. 1 1/4" @100 yds. benched.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to learn something specific to the Ruger rifle to load for the long throat and short box mag. problem. Short of setting the barrel back and rechambering it I am not sure what can be done with it. It is just like Ruger to be a little odd and this Hornet rifle, set up the way it is no surprise.

Had I even thought at the time about a Savage or the other options from Europe, CZ, I would have done better homework before I impulsively bought this one.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 02-04-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    Chill Wills

Chill, I have a Ruger [1973] 243 that had a very long throat, never shot very accurately, I was told that at that time Ruger wasn't making barrels for that rifles. It had an target heavy barrel and adjustable trigger from the factory and that barrel was a Douglas. Yes I did buy it NITB in73. I called Ruger at the time and told thrm that it wouldn't shoot but 1 1/2" @ 100 yds, there answer was 3/4" at 50 yds was their standard. I was getting no where with them, for years it set in the safe and wasn't used much. In 2002+- I cut off 3 threads and rechambered it for Yotes, now it will shoot less that 5/8" group all day long with J words. I have never shot cast in this gun and don't even have a mold for it. martin

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

Boolit Master
    OK I am going to ask a question and all the guys who know can have a chuckle. Hear goes are all the new lee molds in 225-55-RF the same as the bator everyone raves about? Does it shoot good in a bolt 223? I do not mind PC them if needed.

Not that it maters to anyone but I used to spend hours plinking small targets at 25-115 yards with a 22lr. (9000 round alone last year) With current market I picked up a 223/556 bolt gun with a 1/8 twist. I have no clue why I figured this would be cheaper. I should of asked this first but didnt. As always thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Bueller, Bueller, hehe I could not not resist. Most might not get this one.

Boolit Man
    Would these be able to be used in a AR15? Have not tried any cast in one yet and was just wondering...

Boolit Master
    Yes but I will tell you this. Keep in mind your ar15 runs off gas port. If you pc the bullet you should be fine. But at cost of pc and gc with hard lead is it not cheaper to just buy Jwords for 50-55 per 1K for your lead flinger. Woody290 I am sending you a pm I think will help you out.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 02-11-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    One more thing I have heard for some reason this mold drops light bullets. 48g with GC. Is this true for anyone else?

Outer,

Old style Lee Bator, I just ran on scale a 1/2 dozen. 52.1-52.3grs, my lead, AL Checks, lubed. Hope this helps
    Last edited by wistlepig1; 02-18-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: SP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wistlepig1 View Post
    Outer,

Old style Lee Bator, I just ran on scale a 1/2 dozen. 52.1-52.3grs, my lead, AL Checks, lubed. Hope this helps
    Thank you kindly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12