Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI Bator

FYI Bator

For anyone interested in the Lee Bator 22 cal. 2 holer $18 AND CHANGE is in stock at Midsouth. Hope this is a helps. wistlepig

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Buddy
    Please pardon my ignorance. What is so special about the Bator mold? A cursory search of the ever omniscient Google wasn't satisfactory.

Banned

I got a six cavity one adn it's a good bullet, shoots accurately in my .22 Hornet and has enough of a flat nose to deliver good terminal performance on small game. Nothing really all that special about it, but it's a good general purpose design and I like being able to cast six at a time.

My .223 handi rifle really likes those. I have 2 loads worked up, both over Red Dot, one with gas check one without.

Roughly a nickle a round and just below 1400 fps, sounds little louder than a .22lr is more accurate at longer range with more punch.

Why fuss for .22lr drive to stores, go home empty when you can cast?

Banned

"Why fuss for .22lr drive to stores, go home empty when you can cast?"

Exactly why I bought a .22 Hornet in the first place, cheaper to shoot than a .22 LR even at before scare prices.

I lik the NOE 45 grain WFN better and it's plain based, but it won't feed in my bolt action like teh Bator will.

Boolit Grand Master

The 55 gr Bator, not just for gophers anymore I watched as my wife harvested a mule deer doe with that little bullet in the 223 at about 2000fps in 2006 or 07. I've got a double cavity and they can be tough to keep the mold hot, a hot plate or range will come in handy to get it up to temp.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wistlepig1 View Post
    For anyone interested in the Lee Bator 22 cal. 2 holer $18 AND CHANGE is in stock at Midsouth. Hope this is a helps. wistlepig
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...old-C225-55-RF
    The Custom Bator use to be listed in the special orders mold section, notice that this mold is listed in the standard Lee mold section. And even though Midsouth calls it 22 Bator, they show the Lee part number 90451. Midway lists that part number as Lee's new standard C225-55-RF and the photo shows a boolit the shape of the RCBS 225-55 a WHOLE different shape from what the custom 22 Bator that Midsouth use to carry...as shown by swheeler's photo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618...nose-gas-check
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    The 55 gr Bator, not just for gophers anymore I watched as my wife harvested a mule deer doe with that little bullet in the 223 at about 2000fps in 2006 or 07. I've got a double cavity and they can be tough to keep the mold hot, a hot plate or range will come in handy to get it up to temp.
    You're shooting them at 2000fps? Wow! I thought it was best to stay around 1800 max. What was your powder load if I may ask?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I was shooting them at 2670 fps, and getting 1 5/8" group at 100 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I was shooting them at 2670 fps, and getting 1 5/8" group at 100 yards.
    What gun ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    You're shooting them at 2000fps? Wow! I thought it was best to stay around 1800 max. What was your powder load if I may ask?
    7.6gr SR7625 @ 2.035"OAL cci 500 pistol primer, 2049 fps avg, collet nk sized RP brass
    This is from a 1:9 twist Savage 11
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    What gun ?
    It was a heavy barrel .223 Remington varmint rifle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I used to cast them by the hundreds with a Lee 6 cavity. A 2 cav is just waaaaaaaay to slow for those teeny things!

Shoot well. I now use a new brass NOE RF mold that actually looks like a real boolit profile! Much more to my liking. I am giving my Lee 6 banger Bator design mold to a local friend starting in casting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	159210

banger
    Last edited by bangerjim; 01-26-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Anyone using a 1/8 twist with these little buggers?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    It was a heavy barrel .223 Remington varmint rifle.
    Lyman 4th can only get it to 2280 in a 223, but to 3100 in a 22-250. I have only shot it in my hornet at about 1600 so far. I Hope to get time to play with it some when deer season closes in 5 days.

Boolit Master
    Anybody using the Bator in a 22 Hornet in a TC Contender barrels?Powder?
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    7.6gr SR7625 @ 2.035"OAL cci 500 pistol primer, 2049 fps avg, collet nk sized RP brass
    This is from a 1:9 twist Savage 11
    Thanks! I'm still working up loads.

UPDATE, today I Got my Lee 6 cavity C225-55-RF from MidSouth and it is a Bator as they state. I was going by the pictures and discription on LEE website and that looks like the RCBS 225-55. My mistake, I placed a Bator from my 2 holer and they are the same. I was thinking I was getting the new design not the old one, that's what I get for thinking!!!!

I will have a lot of Bators to shoot in my Hornet but I was thinking I was getting something to feed my 223 with---- live a learn!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Vendor Sponsor

wistlepig1 What rifle are use using the Bator in? I have the mold and have not tried it in the Ruger 77-22 yet. I hope to soon when the weather gets better.
    Chill Wills