Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Ruger 5032 Redhawk .45 Colt / .45 ACP review

Ruger 5032 Redhawk .45 Colt / .45 ACP review

While there are other reviews of this gun out there, I thought I'd post my own since 99% of what I shoot is cast. As such I thought it might be of interest to others here..

I have wanted a 4.2" Redhawk in .45 Colt for a long time but it was never really high on my "must have" list. Furthermore, the last 3 years were spent in a residency program that left me with limited time or finances for new toys. Fortunately that is behind me now and when I found out about model 5032 chambered in both .45 Colt and .45 ACP, I couldn't resist any longer. I've read mixed reviews about reliability but figured I'd take my chances, hopefully I got a good one. Current MSRP is $1079 which is actually the same as the regular 4.2" version in .45 Colt (model 5027) as well as the 4.2" version in .44 Magnum (model 5026), both of which come with black rubber grips. Actual street price is considerably less and I paid just under $760 shipped.

This is actually my first Redhawk but I have owned quite a number of Ruger revolvers over the years. Overall the gun appears very well made though the fit and finish is not as nice as some of my older Rugers with light residual machining marks being evident in some areas. Although lockup is nice and tight, the action is not as smooth as expected but I think this will even out with some use. One interesting note is the box included an extra set of sights that appear to be meant for a Super Redhawk. Hopefully someone isn't out there wondering why their gun doesn't have sights...

This is one of two new Redhawk models available with a round butt frame and one of my favorite features about the gun. But unlike the smooth grip panels on model 5028, this gun features a tasteful combination of checkering and stippling.

Other than caliber, the only barrel markings are hidden on the bottom of the barrel lug in small type. This is a welcome change over older models that left them in plain view on the side of the barrel.

The wood to metal fit is good but the grips themselves sit a little proud of the metal in places. Overall the grips and frame fit my hand very well though but I envision shooting heavy loads for extended periods would not be very comfortable.

This gun was purchased primarily for shooting medium .45 Colt loads as well as occasional heavy loads. Truth be told, I envision shooting .45 ACP to be somewhat of a hassle due to chamber fouling but the ability to shoot two types of ammunition has a lot of appeal and is probably worth the extra effort in keeping the cylinder clean.

The gun is supplied with 3 moon clips that are proprietary to the gun since more common (and cheaper) S&W moon clips are purported not to work in this model. Most shooters will want more than a few moon clips on hand but they are costly if you buy them from Ruger, about $15 for a 3-pack. I found mine online from a third party retailer for under $10 per pack so it pays to shop around. To prevent bending or breaking the clips, I also invested in dedicated loading and unloading tools from TK Custom who specializes in machining Ruger and S&W revolvers to use moon clips.

After field stripping the gun I found the cylinder throats measure between .451" and .452" which is typical of the other Ruger .45 revolvers I've owned. My plan is to have the cylinder reamed out but want to test the gun first for a before and after comparison. I wound up buying a couple of new molds so have been casting and loading test rounds. Stay tuned!
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    I owned one briefly. Mine went back to Ruger for a new pawl, then got traded for a new GP100.
    I wanted the RedHawk when I saw it, didn't like shooting it. With 45 Colt loads 250 grain NOE 454250 at 1100 fps I couldn't hold on to that cute round butt good enough to keep the gun from slipping in my grip and that grip frame hump at the back of the hammer would bite my thumb joint. Shooting the ACPs with 454424s at 850 fps I could hold the grip from slipping and shot them pretty well, but I found loading the rounds into and out of the "moon" clips to be aggravating compared to the ease of loading and ejecting 357s out of a GP100.

Some folks will probably get along just fine with the RedHawk. It just didn't fit me. I'm much happier with the GP100 (had one for 10 years or so, now I've got a new one also, two are good).
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

Since the gun is already made to shoot rimmed cartridges (45 Colt). Wouldn't 45 auto rim cartridges work in the gun??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
    Since the gun is already made to shoot rimmed cartridges (45 Colt). Wouldn't 45 auto rim cartridges work in the gun??
    Ruger says no. Thicker Rims.

Just pulled out a 45 auto-rim and it was made to match the thickness of a 45 auto AND a clip.

OP, Very Nice Pictures, Great Post!!!
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 01-24-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Mold
    Just picked one up.
    I ran 500 rounds of colt and a lot of 45 acp. Accuracy has been fair not terrific. The 45 acp with 200 swc has been great and the 45 acp loads are very comfortable to shoot. I AM still looking for some ruger only loads if any one has expearenced with the redhawk I would like to hear your suggestions on pet loads for hinting.

Boolit Master

Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead, but I finally got a chance to order one of these. I hope mine's one of the good ones.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead, but I finally got a chance to order one of these. I hope mine's one of the good ones.
    I've been eyeing them too. Hope yours is a good one.

Vendor Sponsor

OP has his cylinder labeled with the throat diameters. The .001" difference in those are enough to open a group a measurable amount. Take a .451" and a .452" boolit or gage pins with you and see what fits into the throats and which ones are loose and which ones are tight. I strive to get them within .0002" of each other. You can always size to fit the throats with a light drag fit, the more important thing with the cylinder is how even they are throat to throat.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    My first Redhawk was a 5-1/2 inch 44 mag-I used for pig hunting in N California--for some reason it beat up against the knuckle of my middle finger making a bruise. until a vein in the finger moved over then all was fine--in a fit of gotta have/pay for something else I sold it; swore I'd only get another redhawk if/when they offered it in a round grip fframe so now I have it in the 45 acp/colt.

Growing to really like it especially after Doug evened up the throats.

Boolit Master

Wow. The wood to metal fit shown in the pic is horrible.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I want one, but don't think I'll be able to get one until sometime after I can sell or trade my Colt.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Wow. The wood to metal fit shown in the pic is horrible.

Cat
    unfortunately it looks typical production nowadays across the board from what I've seen. Sigh.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have an older version in .45 Colt and I really like shooting the thing. The old Lyman 454424 Keith over 8 grains of Unique has been a standard for years.

It is a thumb buster for sure and about 25 of those are enough to get it out of your system.

Vendor Sponsor

I think a 5 shot .50 Special Redhawk with a 5" full underlug barrel would be a prize!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.