Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 455 Varmint

Boolit Buddy

CZ 455 Varmint

I am in the market for a new .22 and this model came highly recommended to me. Anyone wish to second the motion?
    http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-var...2-lr-5-rd-mag/

Boolit Master
    Can't say but my 452 is a tack driver.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I believe that the CZ line of 22s are the best bang for the buck available today. My 452 LUX will put every shot into one ragged hole at 35 yards all day long using the Aqulia 38 gr. HP sub sonic. Please note I said the rifle could, as to whether this shooter can, well, that is another matter.

Go to rimfire central and visit the CZ forum. Believe me when I say there are some bonafide CZ nuts over there and I agree with them. If the question has been asked, it probably has been asked and answered ad nauseum over there.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I have the CZ 452 Varmit. For the money it is a lot of rifle. I have 15-20 .22LR rifles and I like the 452 above all. Some of the Savages are not bad and usually $100 cheaper.
    The 455 has the options to take different barrels. You may look for the 452 or 453 which show up from time to time.

Boolit Master

have 455 22 LR love the looks i get at 100 yard line hitting the 2" spinners
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy

I wish they made it with the single set trigger. However, a friend has one and he put a kit in it and says that it will be great. Sorry, I do not know what the mod is or how to get it.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter2 View Post
    I wish they made it with the single set trigger. However, a friend has one and he put a kit in it and says that it will be great. Sorry, I do not know what the mod is or how to get it.
    Well, you can pay a premium for the yodaveproducts kit or just buy either ACE #144 or Fastenal #159A,160A,161A and/or 162A, and switch out the springs. Pretty simple and straight forward. The Fastnal springs that I bought came in a 3-pack which is fine because I have more than one CZ. The different numbers indicate different strengths.

In my opinion set triggers are nice but as the years go buy I find that a nicely adjusted single stage trigger with a fairly light pull and clean break is every bit as good. The set part of the trigger is just one more thing to go wrong and overly complicates a relatively simple lever mechanism. If I "need" a really light pull than a match type after market trigger is indicated since most manufacturers can't afford to put one in a standard production gun. Set triggers are usually more of a selling point that of any real practical value. They come on the 527s and I can't remember the last time I use the set feature. But then, that's just me. Different strokes yada yada..............
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I have CZ 452 and my son has a 455. Best bang for the rimfire buck there is - very well built, very nice wood, very well finished, very accurate.

Boolit Master

I'm a CZ glutton. I have a 452 fullstock (Mannlicher style), a 452 scout (youth rifle), and a 452 Varmint, all in .22 lr. The full stock outshoots the other two but I haven't put as much time into searching for the right ammo for the other two.

I went to the local gunshow with just 2 guns on my list. The CZ 527 in .22 hornet and a CZ 75 Kadet. No CZ75's in the building and I was just in time to see the 527 in .22 hornet get sold within 30 seconds of me arriving at the table.

I like CZs

Boolit Buddy

I had a 527 Hornet with a set trigger. Played with it for a couple of years and had zero trouble with the trigger. That was the good news.

On the downside, the gun was throated too long and would not do better than 1" to 1.5" at 100 yards when the OAL was set to spec.

When I seated the bullets to max it was a one hole gun, but the cartridge length was too long for the magazine effectively making it a single shot. I finally gave up and sold it.

I supposed I could have had the bbl re-chambered, but the thought did not enter my head at that time.

In the meantime I hope to end this week coming home with either a 455 American or a 455 Varmint. Maybe the one with a two bbl set..

Boolit Bub
    I have the CZ 452 Varmint, American, and Scout. The American is my favorite it shoots just as good as my Varmint and is lighter to pack. I used to have a collection of Remington 510-513 rifles and Remington 580 series rifles. The CZ's have replaced them all except for my grandpas 510, and a rough 582 I keep beside the door. The only 22 I have had that bests them is my dads 52 Winchester target rifle.

I have the 452FS in 22 long rifle chambering. It is a lovely, handy, rifle. The sights are graduated in meters, so no guesswork on that account.

About set triggers: The CZ rifles with the set triggers are OK, but I find that I just use the standard, non-set, trigger, which is just fine in my book. In comparison to the two lever set triggers on my vintage Winchesters, the CZ single lever set trigger is not all that great, I don't think.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Moderator Emeritus

I have one of these, and I surely consider it the best .22 I've ever owned! I adorned it with the Classic 3-0 AO Weaver Scope -- moderately priced ~ $300 -- and a set of Harris Bipods. The bipods I bought to attach/remove for shooting from stand, but they're so light & out of the way, they're attached pretty much all the time. Lastly, I put a sling on it. I also bought several magazines, and it may be of interest to note CZ markets one which is a single shot version. Some fellows at club think that there may be better accuracy potential with this than the stock 5-round mags. But, for my shaky bod and 67 year old eyes -- *I* can't discern any accuracy difference. Just, again, this is the most best/awesome .22 I've had! As a last note, I was in a Gander Mountain a couple of hours away as a gentleman was trading it towards a pistol. So, I got a good price, met/visited with original owner, and I reckoned there's not too much one can do to hurt the bore by simply putting less than 100 rounds through it. YES! I surely, without any reservation, "second the motion"!!!
    george

Boolit Master
    Mine was bought in the UK with the name Zbrjovka Brno Model 2 in 1970. The receiver is dated 1968, suggesting that it lay in store through the political events of that year.

The stock comb is straight, before it went hump-backed, but it fits me perfectly with my steel Weaver K4 in Conetrol low rings and their bases to fit the Brno dovetail. It had a rather foxy-red varnished finish which I stripped and replaced with linseed oil finish. But apart from that, and despite plenty of use, it remains hard to distinguish from new. I was a student, and that thirty pounds fifty pence was hard earned and suffered for.

The trigger, rather like the original Winchester Mode 70's, is adjustable and much better than is usually found on .22 rimfires, and never altered materially from my original setting of about 2lb. All I ever did to the rifle was to sandwich a piece of sheet rubber under the tip of the forend and coat the barrel channel and the hidden part of the barrel with a silicon waterproofing compound, intended to make fishing flies and casts float.

I like the cocking-piece safety much better than any trigger safety, and a rimfire negligent discharge can do just as much harm as a centrefire one. But not many people form their habits around just one firearm nowadays. I think it would be a good idea if the makers or someone else made a safety which rotated backwards to safe and forwards to fire, like so many others.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 01-27-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't own a 455 but I have several 452's and 453. All shoot extremely well. I highly recommend the CZ's. I prefer the yodaveproducts http://www.yodaveproducts.com/ or Brook's (not made anymore) trigger kit's over the set trigger. The 453 has the set as does my 527.

Boolit Buddy

I was also thinking of the 455 American, but finally went with the Varmint. It is on order and I can't wait to try it out. I will give reports in the future. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Boolit Master
    I think you will be very pleased with your new CZ. If you want additional information or just a bunch of CZ fanatics go to www.rimfirecentral.com and the CZ forum there. My suggestion is to buy a couple boxes of quality ammo (Wolf Target etc.) and see what it can do when well fed. The problem with CZ products is that they make you want another CZ. Go the the forum for advice on scope mounts is another suggestion. Absolute best value out there and almost as good as those costing 3x or 4x as much and is some ways better. Amazing to find this old time metal and wood quality still available and at an affordable price.

Any idea what rings/glass you'll be putting on your cz???

Boolit Buddy

Not yet, but I will keep you all posted. S2

Go for it. They are exceptional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast