Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 50-70 Gov't

Boolit Buddy
    jokester all the 3band NYS RB'S I have seen' in thats 2 others are marked like mine. B on the left side of the receiver S left side of the barrel P right side of the barrel H above the the lug on the barrel for the forearm stock last pattern date 1874 S/N 13563 just never seen a NYS with the numbers stamped like that and mine is second gen build from what I understand.

Thank you boommer!
    Anyway here is a total list of all the markings on my barrel/receiver. Pictures available on request. Thank you for helping!

Last patent date is Nov. 7 1871.
    S/N 17844- found on both the receiver and trigger assembly.
    Witness mark at top of receiver and barrel.
    Right side receiver marked 30
    Right side of barrel marked 30 stamped over B
    Left side marked 30
    Looks to be a combination of H and P above lug with either a K or V underneath.

Thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    Jokester mine the last patent Nov 7 too but mine the looks to be like a 4 maybe it's a 1 on mine 'it's a little worn down. This just looking at the s/n's between the two. By the way I do have mine up and smoken and put Buffington sight on her. My load is simple Starline case / WLP primer/ 70 grs Swiss 1.5/.030 walters card / 450gr LEE 512 sized/ compress the powder to where you have grease grove showing and 3/4 of the band showing/ taper crimp and wha lah you have a great starting point.

Did you ever try soaking that bore with Kroil oil couple days then warming the bbl with a heat gun then beat a real tight jag though it. repeat as nes.

Quote Originally Posted by boommer View Post
    Jokester mine the last patent Nov 7 too but mine the looks to be like a 4 maybe it's a 1 on mine 'it's a little worn down. This just looking at the s/n's between the two. By the way I do have mine up and smoken and put Buffington sight on her. My load is simple Starline case / WLP primer/ 70 grs Swiss 1.5/.030 walters card / 450gr LEE 512 sized/ compress the powder to where you have grease grove showing and 3/4 of the band showing/ taper crimp and wha lah you have a great starting point.

Did you ever try soaking that bore with Kroil oil couple days then warming the bbl with a heat gun then beat a real tight jag though it. repeat as nes.
    So far the only deleading/Bore cleaning I've done has been with JB bore cleaner, chore boy copper scouring pads, a 20 gauge brass brush, and a 50 caliber montana-xtreme jag.
    This is the first I've heard of the kroil. Is it safe to use? Would heating the barrel damage it or the finish?
    Thank you for the help!

Boolit Buddy
    Kroil oil made by Kano lab's is a penetrating oil the best I've found it will become your best friend in the gun world, great for getting under lead in your bore so you can push it out tight patch and jag busts up junk, gunk, surface rust,works on molds to loosen lead on vents just need give it time to do it's job. I'll kroil oil my bores after cleaning let it sit over nite take a tight patch and jag and push out lead specs ,slivers and such. This stuff would of made your job much faster.

no you just get the barrel a little warmer than you want to handle.

Kroil oil made by Kano lab's is a penetrating oil the best I've found it will become your best friend in the gun world, great for getting under lead in your bore so you can push it out tight patch and jag busts up junk, gunk, surface rust,works on molds to loosen lead on vents just need give it time to do it's job. I'll kroil oil my bores after cleaning let it sit over nite take a tight patch and jag and push out lead specs ,slivers and such. This stuff would of made your job much faster.

no you just get the barrel a little warmer than you want to handle.
    I couldn't find any kroil near me and I checked local auto stores and sears. Everybody had WD-40 and PB-blaster? would those be good replacements or should I buy some kroil online?

Boolit Buddy
    I can get it at the gun shops around here, maybe you will have get it online. WD-40 PB and such don't compare. Kroil is the best I have found bar none, got hook on that stuff 20 or more years ago.THE one thing you should have in your arsenal for cleaning and busting rust and crud loose.

Ended up having to order kroil off of Amazon. Should be here soon and I can continue this project!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    My load is a full 70gns of Swiss No1 with the Lyman 450gn boolit from my 1874 Sharps - 10 shots at 100yds over a bench!

Nice group from down under BAW.

Boolit Master

I can get it at the gun shops around here, maybe you will have get it online. WD-40 PB and such don't compare. Kroil is the best I have found bar none, got hook on that stuff 20 or more years ago.THE one thing you should have in your arsenal for cleaning and busting rust and crud loose.
    NO to WD-40, YES to PB-Blaster, which is what I use for loosening bolts and such.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    You can get The 50-70 Shooter's Handbook for $24.50 + 3.50 S&H from:

Cistern Publishing Company
    14010 North State Hwy 95
    Flatonia, TX 78941
    This book is out-of-stock everywhere unless you want to pay a ridiculous price. I called the author yesterday and have convinced him to re-publish it. In the meantime, he says the "Yellow Book" has the same loading information and is available.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    This book is out-of-stock everywhere unless you want to pay a ridiculous price. I called the author yesterday and have convinced him to re-publish it. In the meantime, he says the "Yellow Book" has the same loading information and is available.
    Wow that's great! Any word/idea when it will be available and where?
    Also does he mean "The Yellow Book of Selected Articles?"

Moderator Emeritus
    Swiss No1. FFFFG?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    My load is a full 70gns of Swiss No1 with the Lyman 450gn boolit from my 1874 Sharps - 10 shots at 100yds over a bench!

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
    No idea. I am going to write him by snail mail tonite and order a copy of The Yellow Book (of Selected Articles) and give him suggestions on where to sell copies. His problem is that he doesn't Internet, so is probable unaware of where he could sell the 50-70 book.

WTB: Sharps cavalry carbine in 50-70. Prefer a repro, but not a Chiappa. Also need a mold for the 450gr bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    No idea. I am going to write him by snail mail tonite and order a copy of The Yellow Book (of Selected Articles) and give him suggestions on where to sell copies. His problem is that he doesn't Internet, so is probable unaware of where he could sell the 50-70 book.

WTB: Sharps cavalry carbine in 50-70. Prefer a repro, but not a Chiappa. Also need a mold for the 450gr bullet.

Finding a repro other than one from Chiappa will expensive and/or hard to find. It would narrow down to a Shiloh or a Garrett. Pedersoli may have made them in .50-70 years ago but I've never seen one advertised.
    Last edited by varsity07840; 02-03-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Also need a mold for the 450gr bullet.
    How about joining in to get a run of this NOE hollow base mold?
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....ic,1348.0.html
    It only needs 5 to go.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
    In the land of the disarmed, the one armed man is king.

Boolit Bub
    I would buy one.gavetta

Boolit Master

I'd also take one; two if a minimum order is needed.

Please post your interest for this mold in this thead on the NOE forum:

This will enable a group buy when at least 5 are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
    Buffalo Arms have the yellow book:
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/Yellow_B....aspx?CAT=4151
    But does the Yellow Book include all that is in the 50-70 Shooters Handbook?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast