Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee 340gr .457 mold for 1895 Guide Gun ? (With PC of Course) :)

Boolit Master

Lee 340gr .457 mold for 1895 Guide Gun ? (With PC of Course) :)

Guys, The reason I'm posting this here is I will be using PC on these. OK now my questions:

What diameter boolit "after PC" have you guys been getting good results with in your 1895 Guide Guns? Mine is a ported model. The reason I haven't cast for it yet was fear of lead fouling the ports. I'm pretty confident a ASDT boolit will prevent this.

This rifle is too much of a Safe Queen except during some deer seasons, and I want to shoot it more so my intentions is a nice light cast load to have fun ringing the steel plate with. This is also why I want to use the Lee 340gr. which gets pretty good reviews for accuracy in the Marlin 1895.

So basically I'm asking, from your experience, What diameter boolit size die do you suggest to size this boolit after PC.

Or could I simply use the .457" Lee as cast with PC without sizing it?

Thanks in advance.

Motor

Boolit Master
    I've been putting 2 coats on my lyman 457 ending up at 462. I put them unsized and in unsized brass as is; they chamber and fire just fine in 1895 cowboy. I'm thinking about sizing to 460, but then I will have to resize the brass too.

Try it one coat/2coats; sized/unsized. your rifle will tell you what it likes best. Have fun.

Boolit Master

You did not mention if the barrel is Micro-groove or Ballard Rifling. The MG tend to need a larger bullet. I would first try .457 with one coat. The common diameter needed for the MG barrels seems to be .460 or .461".
    Please post your results as I am in the same boat you are. I am setting up to PC for the exact same reasons. a Marlin 45-79 and a .44 Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    I would say a min of .461 prior to sizing and size to .460 unless slugging your bore proves otherwise.

Boolit Master
    The barrel is NOT micro groove.

Motor

My 45-70 is a Handirifle.Was shooting that boolit PC'd and unsized.....running .461-463 with PC.All would chamber but a few needed a push to get in the chamber so tried some sized at .460.Chambering issue gone but will have to fire a lot more groups to compare to see how much if any accuracy improved.

Boolit Master
    OK I slugged the bore. It was actually much easier than doing the smaller bores. I took an egg sinker and compressed it to a diameter of around .480" then greased the slug and the bore.

As I said doing a bore this size was very easy because I was able to use my muzzleloader ball starter to start it and a ram rod to tap it through.

The rifling is 6 groove.

Bore diameter is .450" (measured with calipers)

The groove diameter measured with 0-1" vernier micrometer is .4563 to .457" depending on which pair of lands you measure.

The resistance of the slug passing through the bore was very consistent and the slug is in good condition so I am confident of the results.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Next Question:

Besides Trail Boss which I don't mind using, can anyone provide additional data that will get me around 1100f/s with the 340gr ?

I would't mind some advice on alloy hardness either for this velocity. I use lead/linotype alloy and typically water quench for convenience and measure hardness right after quenching. I've been doing this with the 500 S&W and using 12bhn and its working but any and all feedback is welcome.

Motor

Mine shoots very well with 5744 @ 27 grains...thats a little faster than you asked for but feels quite pleasant to shoot.Cast in what I label "Goodsteel's Formula" as I got it from one his posts.1 lb. linotype to 7.5 lbs pure with a little tin added.Air cooled.Think this is about same as 60-40 , #2-pure , maybe even a bit softer.Also shot well with light loads of 4198.Hope this helps