RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 77-357 77-44 or a lever 357 or 44 options

Boolit Bub

77-357 77-44 or a lever 357 or 44 options

I really didn't know where to post this question I am a hunter not really into paper punching new to casting and love my handguns! Thanks to everyone here I killed two with cast in pistol. Like a lot of people its so fun I have decided to get two rifles one in 357 and one in 44. Now the question I want accuracy at 100 yards and torn on the rifles reading on here I have seen troubles with the 77 styles and accuracy so I thought about a marlin. I want to be able to install a scope. My uncle has a 77-44 and I tried to use a 420-250 Kt but over all length did not work to long. Really looking for input here guys I have two lee molds both gas checked swc design and a few other options but would like to use my pistol rounds. What's the better of the two and will chamber longer length boolits?

Boolit Buddy
    I have both, the Ruger 77/357 and the 77/44. I love both rifles. I shoot more the 77/357. Initially, I was able to get groups smaller than 2" at 100 yards. Later, using the RCBS 35-180-SIL and the LEE 357-200-RF mold, I was able to get some impressive groups (around 1") more consistently.
    My 77/44 is one of the first few rifles made in this caliber and the accuracy is decent. As with any magazine fed rifle, the OAL of the cartridge has to be within the allowed limits of the magazine. That has not been a problem for my rifles and that does not affect my liking of both of them.
    Last edited by Camba; 01-23-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo

Banned

Get one of each, sell off the ones you don't like.

in my experience with my 357 mag lever gun, it does not feed SWC's at all. RNFP is the choice of the day for hunting and accuracy.

my 44/77 is pretty much the same way, SWC's don't feed well or shoot well.
    Last edited by Blammer; 01-23-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I had read your post from earlier in the year where you had troubles with accuracy but wound up being the screw on the mount. My thing is the mag is short I read I think it was 1.62 COAL dang auto correct is the longest you can load was hoping few more guys chimed in with there results too. I am thinking about the 77s I like a bolt better than a lever but would like to shoot the same boolits I already load. Noe 432-265 and a Lyman 358 170 grain I cant remember the number of that one but I do have a 6 cavity lee in 158 GC and 240GC just hats to start loading different. Boolits thanks for your reply!

Boolit Bub
    Wooow blammer no sell just add more! I was just reading a bunch of people with bad reviews on the 77s!

Banned

edited post above.

Banned

with my 77/44 I went with a RD design RF point in 265 gr wt. I could get it long enough to just kiss the lands and still work in the mag, and it turned out to be a very accurate bullet.

Banned

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=224

this is the bullet I really like for my 77/44

I got the RG version so I can cast HP's and "dish" nose, they really put the smack on things.

Boolit Master
    I like my 77/357 it shoots around 2 inches at 100 yards which is plenty accurate for hunting. I really doubt a lever gun will do much better. I figure with a 2 inch group your going to hit within 1 inch of where you aim. I other words it my not be a long range varmint gun but if you can't put it in a deer or coyotes boiler room you need to pick up knitting...

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys new guns and molds old lady going to be happy oh wellnif it feeds you all year what's to argue about?

Banned

go to the bullet swap area, see about getting some samples to try in your new rifle, before you buy a mould.

Boolit Master

I have both versions of the Ruger and both of the Marlin lever. Watch your OAL in both styles and your on your way. I don't have the same problem as Blammer feeding SWC's in my lever gun. Maybe it varies with the gun. I find myself picking up the Ruger's 8 out of 10 times but both shoot about the same, either way you go you'll be pretty satisfied.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I have the 77/357 and I love this gun! It shoots the swc just fine. I have the Lee tumble lube swc and that rcbs gas check 158 gr. Both shoot great.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Bub
    Wow great guys thanks for everything too. I reckon if I cant settle on the right one just get them all one question on the marlin's though is do I need to get a JM stamped if I go that route? I really appreciate everything too I love this site!

It's not a bolt or a lever but I'd be surprised if a Handi-Rifle won't chamber the rounds you already have loaded

Boolit Bub
    I thought about them if I could get it priced right but I think I'm going to stick with a bolt or lever for hunting and a quick follow up shot

Boolit Master
    I don't have a 77/357 or a 77/44, but do have Rossi 92s in .357, .44, and .45, and all are good for 2.5-3"@100 from a rest, and all 3 of them feed SWCs just fine. One quirk though that may mess up your plans is that SAAMI spec for a .44 Mag handgun bore and a .44 Mag rifle bore are NOT the same. You're looking at .429-.430" for a handgun, but .432" for a rifle. In the case of my .44s, I use .430-.431" for the handguns, but use .434"s for the rifles. Speaking of, the .44 rifles are the Rossi 92 mentioned earlier and a H&R Handirifle, and both shoot great, but I use irons on both, not scopes. They'd probably do better with scopes, but I use these rifles in fairly close quarters where I seldom need to shoot past 100yds, so the irons are about perfect for my needs.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Bub
    Not a bad group there Dan the molds I use will not drop to that diameter. But could always pick up a new one or paper patch od powder coat the ones I have and just buy another sizing die thanks for the heads up bud I hadn't thought about that but measly resolved a friend Pc everyday at work! He also made up. Some jigs that hold a 100 boolits each so they get done fast he joined to I think he will probably. Sell some of those or do some trades.

Lonegun is right about the SAAMI specs, but sometimes you get lucky, like my Dad's Marlin (pre-Remlin) 1894 with a .430" groove. Drives tacks out to 50, haven't really shot it at 100 yet though.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"