RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: job decision/what would you do

Boolit Master

job decision/what would you do

currently work of the ranch in the oil patch as the ranch does not make enough to support us. I really like my crew, just 5 of us and we all pull together very well (we operate a coil unit for fish jobs and drill outs). I'm not that young anymore and the 15 hour days get old and with the current economy I could be laid off anytime. when we work we make good money. got offered a job at denver international airport that pays good and has good hours but its an hour drive each way, steady job good benifits and kind of recession proof. the oil patch job is more lucrative and the airport is more steady.
    I know there are several members here that work the oil patch and wonder if you could, would you jump ship if given a chance, I'm torn about abandoning my crew but need to look out for my family.

Boolit Master

I here ya and facing sorta the same situation. I'm a steel painter (picture carnival worker) and travel extensively for work doing field re-paints. My body is doing better the past two years with 10 x 6 scheduales instead of 7 x 12s. My next job/career is going to be cloe to the house. 10-15 min, 20 max and no rush hour. I'd take a cut in pay over dealing with an hour in and 1.5 to 2.5 home in the evening.

Leaving the crew behind is a tough one. As far as employers, very few are loyal. If they have no work, they lay you off. Wasn't too much of a problem before, as long as you could keep your bases covered you were good. Now, with Ooobo care, fines ect. it is impossible. Steady 9-5 work is the safe bet.

Only you can make that decision for yourself, your family and your financial situation.

Boolit Buddy

Family first, no regrets

Boolit Buddy
    Slow and steady...go to the airport.you'll always know where you stand. Keeping things steady in life cuts down on the drama. .

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    The 2 hours/day drive will get pretty old, put lots of miles on the car and can become expensive. I had a buddy that did that for 5-6 years, and he didn't miss it a bit when it was over. The weather in that part of the state isn't always the best to drive in- but you already know that.

Day shift or variable scheduling ? Outdoor or indoor ? Still have your ranch chores before/after work ? I suppose that one is a wash since you still have them working in the patch, too.

I'm with the rest here, family first.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    Family first, no regrets
    Family first. Oil will be there later if you need it.

Boolit Master

I've done the hour drive thing before and its a pain but doable, lots of people in denver have longer drives and they are only a few miles away, at least the drive will be all interstate. the job is facility maintenance, so its mostly indoors which is a plus, the -20 outside for 12 hours on the rig really sucks so I won't miss that. just wish I had a crystal ball.

Boolit Master
    I agree, family first.

Banned

I'm back to driving 70 miles each way to work and back and most days, it doesn't bother me much, I'm apretty early riser and 24 years in the Army git me used to long days and less sleep than most people think you can get by with. When it's warm and I can ride a motorcycle, I really kind of enjoy the commute. Get some kind of a reliable car that gets good gas mileage and go for it.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had friends that had to commute and they usually bought a dedicated car for the purpose. A small stripped down Toyota with a 4 speed gets 40 mpg, small cheap tires last 70000+ thousand miles, regular oil and filter changes help the car last 200k miles. Front wheel drive works well in snow and ice. Purchase price is cheap.

After working 35 years outside in the weather, I can tell you that it don't get any easier. You will get used to and appreciate the inside job and will adjust to the cut in pay. Sometimes a short commute gives you time to unwind from work before you get home.

Just a note of caution. Beware that your added drive time increases your exposure for accidents. Practice your defensive driving and wear your seat belts. Watch the weather and adjust for it. Probably not as dangerous as the oil patch, just a different set of dangers!

I'de take the airport .Steady work and out of the weather.....I've been working on garage doors for a total of 26 years parts are worn out .Body needs a break but have to pay the bills .Get a small car for sure I have a company truck
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Moderator Emeritus

I switched to a government job when I could not afford the benefits being self employed. Took a pay cut but in the long run was worth it, even got a Masters degree out of it. It was tough for the first eight or so years with the pay cut but in my case commute is about 30 mins each way but my hours are regular and was able to be off for holidays and a decent amount of vacation, sick, etc. time. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    You can always go back to the oil patch.
    I'd relax and take the DIA job and see how you like it.

Vendor Sponsor

Take the Airport job .. At least for the foreseeable future oil jobs will continue to be cut..
    take the sure thing with steady income . Think of your family and their support.. you may be out of a job any day now
    if/when oil picks back up you can think about returning
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned
    Take the airport you are not gonna get any younger and most jobs like that have a retirement benefit too. I worked for 16 years and came in to get a pink slip one morning so it was a county job for me after that with 5 kids to take care of and pushing 40 I had to have something that paid every week and had insurance.

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking of fatherly advice without knowing most of what is going on in your life and almost all of the particulars.

Steady jobs jobs pay off when they provide you with job security, job safety, medical benefits, retirement, air conditioning, etc.Dangerous highly skilled manual labor jobs can sometimes pay more in a year than a steady regular job will in five years or more. It is a gamble.

Inhave found that that most people ride the gamble and scaunder all the money so there is no benefit to staying at the higher paying job because the money is blown anyway.

Weigh it it all out on a piece of paper pros and cons. Whichever side wins is probably the way to go.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Banned

I have driven a whole lot, for most of my life. Short of being a OTR driver, I know I am near the top, mileage wise. An hour each way is doable, especially in order to live on a ranch in the country. I did it for 20 years, just so I could be in the country. I can now work from home with occasional long 2,000 round trip mile runs to Colorado or wherever. How may years would you have to do this job in Denver before retirement? A 10 year commitment would be worth it to me. It is nice to have piece of mind job-wise. I have been self-employed for the last 30 years and that has been a roller-coaster and I am finally hitting the fun part of the ride. Pray about it and follow your inward leading. I hate cities and masses of cars and people, so I chose to be a road warrior.

Moderator Emeritus

Which job is more fun ?
    I bet it's the one that no one mentioned...The Ranch.
    Is there any possible way to get your Ranch to pay the bills ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

"I'm torn about abandoning my crew but need to look out for my family." Who comes first? By putting that statement in writing I think you know the answer already and are just trying to get up the gumption to pull the trigger..
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

May be putting that Prairie Dog Hunt down the toilet, but Family Comes First.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast