RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: This Years Cast Boolit Tale of Unsuccess

Boolit Master

This Years Cast Boolit Tale of Unsuccess

Got a nice shooting load going about 1800 with the 200 grain FP 338 boolit out of the 338 Mag.

Only day I carried cast (out of 2 total), first I could hold my head behind a small tree out of the sun and see the really nice 8 point (Mature 8, not basket rack) or I could get on the rifle and see NOTHING but blinding early morning sun!

Walking back to camp there stands a nice big doe and I begin my stalk, it is going so well I decide 4 more steps and I have a perfect tree for a rest. 1 1/2 steps into that she spots me and is gone.

Oh well by next year I will have the Lee 220 grain flat pointed for hunting and go for success.

The RCBS groups OK, the LEE is one hole, hope a flat point does not alter that performance.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    My 34-57 took three deer this year with the Lee boolit in its natural form. Alloy was fairly soft, no harder than 50/50 +2%. Velocity in the 1800 range. I thought they were faster but after season I got a better day to run them over the crony and they were not. Evidently they were fast enough.

Expansion was definite and terminal performance was very good.
    I can't get the accuracy I want with the Lee though. The gun shoots Sierra 215s very well. I wasn't sure they would stabilize in the 14" twist but obviously they do.

I run that boolit out of my 338 win mag at 1800 also. I can't recall ever grouping it on paper from a bench. Just loaded some up and they seemed to hit wherever the crosshairs were. It's taken one coyote and there was no doubt about expansion then either.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

I hunted with an outfitter for several years, I called the dry runs "character building". I've had a good run of luck last few years but I remember the "dry" years fondly as well. Better luck next year!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    If you only got to hunt 2 days and saw a nice 8 and were able to put a stalk on a doe, sounds like a good hunt to me. I have spent several years with 40 to 100 hours on the stand and never seen a thing. Now that gets a little old. I have never been interested in the .338's, I have a love affair with the .35's, but I have been thinking about the .338 Fed lately. and thinking, and thinking, and thinking,,,

Boolit Buddy
    What powder are you using in that 338? I have a Ruger 338 win.mag.I want to try with cast and haven't setteled on a load yet.I have a group buy 225gr flat point that casts very well.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what Mr. Louis shoots but 24 gr of 2400 push the Lee 220 gr very near 1800 fps in my 338 mag. No filler
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Got a nice shooting load going about 1800 with the 200 grain FP 338 boolit out of the 338 Mag.

Only day I carried cast (out of 2 total), first I could hold my head behind a small tree out of the sun and see the really nice 8 point (Mature 8, not basket rack) or I could get on the rifle and see NOTHING but blinding early morning sun!

Walking back to camp there stands a nice big doe and I begin my stalk, it is going so well I decide 4 more steps and I have a perfect tree for a rest. 1 1/2 steps into that she spots me and is gone.

Oh well by next year I will have the Lee 220 grain flat pointed for hunting and go for success.

The RCBS groups OK, the LEE is one hole, hope a flat point does not alter that performance.
    Just getting out there and being in nature is most of the fun to me, Harvesting a critter is a bonus! I plan to try some cast boolits in my little 7MM-08, if I can find a load combo that works good I will use it this year for my deer hunting. Good luck to you on future hunts!

Boolit Grand Master

Louis think of it as training, although I'm sure you don't need much! Next year will be better and you can hang a 10 point hat rack on the wall, good luck.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

TC, you saw some deer, got to take a favorite rifle for a walk, and came back safe with a good hunting story, "good to go!"

I enjoyed reading about this hunt, am waiting for your next hunt when you tell us how good the boolit did!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    I call those hunts where I don't see anything "Armed Hiking" or just "Humility Training". Either way, it's just fun to get out.
    siamese4570

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post

thats hunting the hunting gods weren't on your side that day
    if the 8 pt made it through this year he will be there next year
    I took an old friend hunting this year a 358 win. that I had made
    on a youth model 70 action nice and compact and easy to carry
    shot a trophy doe at 80 or so yds. the alloy was 16/1 with 22 gr 2400
    with a 260 gr Mountain molds boolit flat point (62% meplat)
    not sure of the velocity but the combo worked famously
    had a blood trail like no other and traveled only 30 yds.
    the hunting gods will be on your side next time
    happy hunting
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I really like that Lee 220 in my rifle as well at about 1850 and is good out to 400 yards at the gong target. My powder is 29 gr of 5744. Because of the price of 5744, I am gradually moving toward using RE-7 which seems to shoot about as well at 100 but I have yet gone beyond that range
    At least you are seeing deer. Mountain lions (2 and i saw both) cleaned out my favorite area by the late season but at least my wife got her little buck.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 01-28-2016 at 01:34 PM.

In Remembrance

A friend of mine was telling me his tale of woe for not getting several deer he tried to run down by trailing. I simply asked him if he had harvested enough from those deer for a full kettle of `track soup`?Robert