Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of a M1 30 cal carbine?

Boolit Master

Value of a M1 30 cal carbine?

Stops at my LGS they had a universal M1 carbine in the rack. Looked pretty good, I just know little about them. Whats one worth?

Boolit Master

Nobody will be able to answer that with the information given. In general $600 on the low end up to collector quality versions well over a grand...

Universal Carbines are the least expensive of the .30 Carbines. I've seen ones in good shape in the recent past going for as low as $400 in my area.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Beware - the early Universals are supposed to be decent guns made with USGI parts, but the later Universals could be dangerous junk made from inferior materials and parts. Prone to firing out of battery.

If you're not familiar with what to look for, or have a trusted friend that does, I'd suggest you steer clear.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/M1A1_Carbine_pr-9419.aspx

Does anyone know if these Auto Ordinance rifles are any account?
    Fulton Armory makes and sells new M1's using some old parts. They are near twice the price.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

To address the original question about Universal carbines: My advice is to stay away from it. Here's why--they can be o.k. or very poor depending on the vintage. There was a period in history when M1 carbines had not been released for sale to the public by the Govt. and were in demand. Two companies, Plainfield Machine and Universal started assembling them out of surplus G.I. parts, which were plentiful at the time, and receivers which they manufactured. Plainfield always had a good reputation, but Universal is a mixed bag. I once had one come in my shop for repair, one of their receivers with a G.I. bolt. The bolt was much harder than the receiver and had eaten/gouged into the left side raceway to the point that it jammed on every shot and was beyond repair. As the years passed and the surplus parts supply began to dry up Universal manufactured their own redesigned parts, and in later years most of the parts were no longer interchangeable with the G.I. parts. When I was in the gunsmithing business one of my customers was a large armored truck company that used the Universal in various capacities. It seemed like I always had one or two in for repairs. They were of later manufacturer and Universal had redesigned the recoil system to use an operating rod that was stamped sheet metal rather than a more substantial milled part, and redesigned the recoil system to use two smaller diameter recoil springs rather than the single, larger diameter spring of the G.I. carbines. The springs were overly complicated to install and prone to coming loose inside the carbine jamming things up, and as these guns were often used for practice and qualification they became worn and the cheap operating rod liked to detach from the bolt. Now I've answered this question before on other forums, and I don't doubt that this post will be followed by a dozen testimonials to what a fine carbine the Universal is and how "I've had mine for years, fired thousands of rounds through it, and never had an issue." That's great, because like I said, some of them were o.k.--but you have to have handled a lot of them, disassemble it and understand what you're looking at before you get out your wallet. You'll pay at least double for a nice G.I. issue specimen (which is really the best way to go) and about the only other civilian version I'd recommend is the Iver Johnson pre-A.M.A.C. version. Since I've been out of the business for a few years now I have no experience with the Fulton Armory or the newer Rock-Ola products.

DG

Boolit Master
    Hate to be "that guy" who only posts when something breaks, or bad happens but...

I purchased an inexpensive Universal 30 carbine during the Clinton years. Was $150 out the door, and thought I was getting a good deal on a fun shooter.

That was up until I actually fired it. The reason it was for sale so cheap was that it wouldn't cycle. It had op rod and gas port problems. I put more money into that Universal than it was worth fixing the problems, and the parts used were not standard GI parts. Fortunately I had a good gunsmith at the time who had dealt with more than a few Universal carbines.

I still have that Universal carbine, and I don't trust it enough to shoot it anymore. To this day, I can't think of anyone who I dislike enough to unload it on.

I also have an older GI Military Inland M1 30 carbine that I do shoot and load for. The Inland of course cost me more than the Universal, but it was money well spent. I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but in this case I really got what I paid for.

You may get lucky with a Universal carbine, but you also may not. I know which one I'd buy first now, if I had to do it all over again.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    Well since I know next to nothing about M1 carbines, just leave it in the rack for the next guy. I wasn't terribly interested as it would be a new caliber to stock up on, more reloading dies, and brass, magazines, etc. Had it been a good enough deal might have done it. But not for what may or may not be worth anything. The universals sound like the Fed Ord M14 I had, they were hit or miss. One I had was fine, lucky as I didn't know much about them at the time.

Not that I could have bought it, I went in to pick up my shotgun, but couldn't as the place they call In Nashville was closed due to the weather. No idea if they will reopen this weekend.

Not very often on this site. A man gets talked out of buying a rifle.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Ahhh, Hah! Fed Ord M14s, another interesting topic. I own two of them, and three for several years, but eventually sold the third one. I believe they were first advertised in advance of production in the Shotgun News at a very favorable price compared to what was then only available from Springfield Armory. I ordered three and was pleased with their appearance when they showed up. With the exception of the receiver all the parts were G.I. surplus, and two of them appeared to be all unissued parts, but one of them (turned out to be the best one) had mostly used but serviceable parts and was the most accurate. Two I had absolutely no issues with, which is why I still have them, but the third would disassemble the op rod from the receiver with every shot. It just so happened that very soon the NRA Convention came around and that year, 1987, it was in Reno, NV. Fed Ord had a booth and the CEO, was there in person working the booth. I told him about the problem and he advised to send it back. He thought the problem would be a worn op rod, but to me it looked like the raceway in which the rod traveled was too shallow and just about disappeared at the rear of the receiver. The receivers were/are investment castings and I have heard that they were made in China. That is possible, because it wasnt' too long thereafter that the NORINCO M14s appeared. Anyway, I made a mark on the bottom of the receiver and sent the rifle back, and when it was returned it had a new receiver with the same serial no. and worked just fine. Two of my three had consecutive numbers and all were in the 22xx range. Mr. Kuhnhausen's book on the US .30 Cal. Rifles doesn't have much good to say about them, but I think I got the best of the breed because of my early order, and am very satisfied with the two I've still got. A somewhat similar story of varying quality to the Universal story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Stops at my LGS they had a universal M1 carbine in the rack. Looked pretty good, I just know little about them. Whats one worth?
    It depends. Do a quick Google search and you'll get about 203,000 results.
    For the money, I'd go with an original or one of the newer made reproductions.
    I'd pass on anything Universal.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    It wasnt being talked out of buying anything. I tend to do my research before I buy. Passed on a 40 cal not long ago, the pistol itself was a good deal, the $50 a pop mags and it only had one changed that. Wouldn't have known that unless I went and looked. If M1 carbines had been made by one company it really wouldn't be an issue. But surplus weapons vary ALOT. I have never owned a carbine, or really messed with one. Usually dont see them at shows when I do they require a second mortgage on my house to buy one. Just maybe the place didn't know what they had. But I won't risk it. Didnt really want it that bad anyways, had been a good deal I might have.

My fed ord M14 did the same thing, the op rod would pop loose sometimes when fired. Not something I knew when I bought in 25 yrs ago. It was not that easy to get rid of. Sort of like saying 'universal' to someone who knows about M1 carbines. Fed Ord has a taint to the name. No their not all junk, but buying one you cant handle or take apart adds a bit to the risk. Most who inquired about it said its only value was as a parts kit, toss the receiver. Did eventually sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    But surplus weapons vary ALOT. I have never owned a carbine, or really messed with one.
    Just so you know, Universal wasn't a G.I. supplier.

http://maxicon.com/guns/universal_m1...production.htm
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    You go reading thru the threads and you might get the idea Universal made alot of junk. Like I said I know little about the M1 carbine, I had expected the bolt to lock back on an empty mag, but didn't, no had that little part sticking out to accomplish that. I saw a price of $399 and thought dang thats cheap for a carbine. Looked alright, but figured I would ask before I invested a dime.

Boolit Master

the bolt locking back on an empty mag in a 30carbine is dependent on the magazine. not all were made to lock the bolt back, and those that were once you pull the magazine the bolt will close.

Boolit Master

A Universal carbine is not a contractor for war time guns they are all a copy that looks like an M1 carbine. When I had my shop at auctions with the big houses I would pay 150-175 for one and resell at 250-300.

The ones made with some GI parts were the early Plainfield's and for them add another $25 only. Get up to 4-5 hundred find a real GI carbine. You will be much happier.

GI parts most will not even work without fitting in a Universal.

Boolit Master
    There's an excellent post over on the FN forums showing an M1 Carbine, and a Universal carbine being disassembled side by side.

It plainly shows many of the differences between a GI M1 carbine, and a Universal carbine.

Link Below:
    http://fnforum.net/forums/handgun-ro...universal.html

If you're still curious about them, it's a good read.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Universal, and it hasn't bobbled for me. With that said, would I buy another? Not without trying it first.

Here is a link that has a lot of info about the company http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

If I was to buy another M-1 Carbine, I believe I would look for a decent surplus one.

Robert

I've not seen an M1 genuine real carbine in a gun shop since the 1970's. IMHO only the junk ones get sold off.

Boolit Master
    It was more curiosity than anything. Had it been some sort of really good deal, might have done it. But not something I really need. It wouldn't be just the rifle of course. As I would need ammo, and some spare mags, end up reloading for it. It wouldn't be $399, it would be closer to $800. Couldn't buy it anyways as you can't call in a background check right now, the place in Nashville is closed due to the weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast