WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid-level .44 mag powder?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
    Okay guys, some interesting info. I was told in another threat that AA#5 was probably too-fast burning and melting my lead bullet's base (240 grain)

Unique seems a common choice, and it's burn rate is actually faster than AA#5, so I'm thinking that AA#5 shouldn't be a problem at all.

As for a couple of people who asked: Yes, I've looked at load manuals, however their starting loads for 240 grainers run faster than what I'm wanting as my top load, and their "light loads" are slower than what I wanted.
    I've never heard of a powder burning so hot as to melt the base of a cast boolit before especially in a pistol length barrel. I have seen leading in barrels where size of the boolit caused leading. I fought this battle with a 9mm M&P Pro, I bought 3 different sizing dies to get it right. Too small and too large caused the gun to lead, once I hit the size the gun wanted, no more leading.

wcp

Boolit Master
    Bullet bases can not be melted inside the barrel by any powder or barrel length. That is a total myth. The outer edges of the base can be pressure and flame cut as it escapes around it. This also occurs when the boolit exists the muzzle.

Back on topic, I suggest Unique.

Motor

Boolit Mold
    Thank you guys I do have ONE POUND of Unique and I'll use it to load up a batch next time I do some, just to see how I like it.

Maybe if my leading isn't really a problem (as I'm thinking I was a worrywart) I may stick with AA#5 if it turns out that was the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Thats because I have 6 8lb kegs of Promo in my closet
    I knew there was a reason!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Thats because I have 6 8lb kegs of Promo in my closet

Just don't let your local fire marshal know! HA.....ha!

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I can't find Redot or Promo around here to save my life......down to one pound.
    I spoke too soon. Saw an eight pounder today for $170.........and of coarse, no cash.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    Unique

Boolit Master
    Unique.
    10.0 with a 240 gr bullet jacketed or cast will give well over 1000 fps in my Super Blackhawk with moderate pressure and excellent accuracy.
    Recoil is stout but notably less than full power loads, and that combination will do almost anything I want done with a handgun, save perhaps IHMSA rams at 200 meters.

Truth is I never actually tried it on rams. I wouldn't be too surprised to find it works there too.
    I can tell you that load smacks 100 meter pigs down with authority, and does fine on turkeys.

It's still my favorite load for those rare occasions when I'm inspired to do a little showing off, shooting bowling pins with a single action. That load sweeps 'em all the way off the table every time even if the hit is a little high or low. Medium power loads in the .44 magnum is one of those places where Unique really shines.

Uncle R.

Boolit Buddy

I like 9.2 grains of Clays Universal, because that's what my Little Dandy rotor throws, behind a 240 LSWC bullet. Great practice round for 25 yards. I practice at 25 yds because that is what I might have to shoot a grizzly at. Shooting beyond 25 yds at a grizzly may not be forgiven in court.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boatswainsmate View Post
    I like the 12.0 Gr of HS-6 with a Keith bullet in my 5 inch Smith & Wesson 629.
    http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt44mag.htm
    +10!

HS-6 is grand in the straight walled revolver cases ......... Hogdgon's #26 manual lists a start of 10.0 and a max of 12.0 gr. for a 250 gr. lead boolit and I just happened to settle on 11.8 gr. and the Fed mag primer and it's my top favorite upper medium field load in my 4in Smith MG and 7.5" RH

Good stuff!

Three 44s

Banned

Id probably first grab herco and hs6 to try.

Boolit Mold
    cool, thanks guys, there is HS6 locally, I'll grab a can and try before bulk-purchasing

Moderator Emeritus

Many powders will work for mid range .44's, but if there's a better one than Unique, I haven't found it. I suspect I'll be shooting it in my 4 5/8" Ruger SuperB. Less muzzle blast, and with graduated loads, I should be able to find the sweet spot where the accuracy lies. Not much around my parts won't succumb to a mid level .44 or a Special load. And my ears are a big concern now. Already have tinnitus, and don't want even a dab more of it! That spells milder to mid range loads, or Special equivalents. Will try others, but Unique holds my highest expectations for good power and reduced blast.

I've recently experimented with accurate #7 using Lee manual data for a 240 lswc. Still too hot for what I was after. I've had better luck with tight group in the past. Based on some of the above posts I think I will try unique.
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

I've always considered Accurate #7 and BlueDot as mid-level powders for 44 magnum. I guess it's relative, like space-time and incest.

Boolit Master
    Herco is my choice. 2400 for heavy loads. Bullseye for target loads.

Boolit Master

Blue Dot works good for me what little 2400 i have left I'm saving for my hunting loads
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Le Loup Solitaire
    Using H&G #503 I have gotten good grouping with 17 grains of 4227 which is an old Keith load for the 44 special. A slight roll crimp...no leading or unburned powder out of a S&W 29. LLS

Boolit Mold
    I use HS-6 and it meters very well.

Boolit Master

I've used the 10 grains of Unique load. I like shooting the Skeeter Skelton load of 8.5 grains of unique with a 429421 in a 44 mag. for general purpose shooting.
    Last edited by GaryN; 03-02-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast