Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: New Winchester 572?

Boolit Master

New Winchester 572?

So I was perusing Powder Valley this evening to see if they might have gotten in any new stock that hadn't been in and I clicked on the Winchester link and found Winchester 572 "Not in stock" but not on the "No Backorder" list.. I am wondering if this might be a slightly slower 571 or if it might be something completely new and not at all related to the older 571 from days past.. Might anyone else know what's going on?

This new Winchester powder is strategically designed to do a myriad of jobs. First it has the correct burn rate to create the famous 3 ¼ dram equivalent, 1 ¼ oz, 1330 fps 12 gauge load, originated by Winchester. And, it does it with any brand case! Back Fence competitors and pheasant hunters will be delighted. Now, that is just one application, and it goes on to provide clay target loads superb in 20 gauge and 28 gauge, top field loads in both, and, outstanding field loads for the wonderful 16 gauge. In addition, 572 has a vast number of pistol applications, ranging from the 25 ACP to the 45 ACP, and all popular calibers in between. This is one positively versatile and useful propellant.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

The above was copied and pasted from the Winchester/Hodgdon website. I hit "post" before I was ready to explain where the information came from.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I got some data from Powder Valley... I added a few pounds to an order for my club.. The gal at PV said it was similar to the old 571 but a tad slower..

The discontinued Winchester 571/Hodgdon HS-7 was an excellent 10mm and .38 Super powder. It will be interesting to see where this new powder fits. I'm wondering if it will be a replacement for the now discontinued SR-4756?

Fred

Boolit Master
    SR4756 was sort of a fluffy powder... I suspect 572 to be denser and maybe similar to Longshot.. I've used Longshot in 38 super with good results and no pressure issues for major power factor..

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I'm wondering if it will be a replacement for the now discontinued SR-4756?

Fred
    According to this thread, that is correct.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...erFactor-Show*
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

I would think, like sargenv, that it would be denser?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    It appears to be denser and similar to the old 571.. I am sampling a # this week..

The Winchester 571 and new 572 are both ball powders. The burn rate of the new 572 is similar to the older SR4756, which is/was a flake powder. It's the burn rate I was referring to in Post #5.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    aha, thanks Fred

I shot some 28 gauge lead loads this weekend.. they all went pop.. except for one that went sorta poof.. though the wad cleared the barrel and the pellets though I could see them, still broke the clay I pointed at.. I think it was a light charge of powder.. didn't work the action hardly at all..