RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Favorite Turkey Calls?

Boolit Buddy

Favorite Turkey Calls?

I want to start turkey hunting and I am overhwhelmed by the different brands etc of calls.
    Any recommendations?
    Any to avoid?

Boolit Master

Here Hillery, here Hillery.....

I tried quite a few, peg-n-slate, box and diaphram. Easiest to use is a diaphram (Reed call, positioned in the roof of your mouth) because it is hands free, less movement ect. Get it with a call tape to listen to what you are trying to imitate. I started with a reed after I heard the sounds out in the woods and watched a few huntin' shows wit dem xperts. You only need to master a few and less calling is more kinda thing. For spring, an owl hooter to locate can be handy.

Here's a good idear, head on down to that public building called a library and borrow a book on turkey hunting. Turkey hunting is actually really easy. Find a good roost with your hooter. It'll be on a hillside that will have an eastern exposure to get first light and heat. Set up at the bottom as they get up in the morning, they generally feed downhill. Easy peeze. No if that don't work, refer to the above idear for additional tactics in warfare.

.... and don't forget, enjoy the hunt & the woods

Boolit Master
    The best way to learn turkey hunting is to get an experienced turkey hunter to mentor you. It will speed up the learning curve considerably. I have been turkey hunting for about 10-11 yrs, although I have skipped a year or two in between. I feel I learn something new every time I go hunting.

Perma-Banned
    I have a large tackle box completely full of turkey calls and my favorite of them all is a little box call that will work in any weather, primos wetbox, quite the name! They have one called a hotbox as well

Boolit Master

I have a few calls from this man and i like them a lot https://www.youtube.com/user/JBY220
    the trick is to call soft and once they gobble back at you stop he knows were you are this is a good call too https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/144-box-calls?p=7 also look at calls made by Dads
    this one Woodhaven Real Hen Cherry
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 02-02-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Also have a box full of calls, and yes less is more. Sitting still and good cover is even more important than when deer hunting. And let them get close. There is little in life as thrilling as when they gobble hard close and you can feel it in your chest!
    And owl and crow calls are a big help locating them, most calls are serviceable soon you'll have a box full, like deer/duck hunting stuff, holsters, knives ect. My best tip by far is sit still...any movement will get you busted

Boolit Master
    If you have any woodworking skills, it's not hard to make a box call. That is what I did. Also, the blue chalk is easy to find at a hardware store. Last ones I bought were only like 50 cents each. It's quite a treat to call in a turkey with a call you made yourself.