Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1916 Spanish Civil Guard Mauser

Boolit Buddy

1916 spanish mauser

A guestion for Jr, does the vent hole on the left side of the reciever have a matching vent in the bolt? I think I've read the vent holes were added in the 1916model. A '93 I put togeather from parts had a vent in the reciever but none in the bolt,a mismatch, and was wondering. My '93 is a real ''multicultured'' rifle with a Spanish reciever,a Turkish bolt,a German barrel and Jewish [ Lowe} sight, with a half-grown Korean-born grandson shooting the CastBullet'' heck'' out of it.
    lreed

Boolit Buddy
    Finally got this old girl out again. Stripped her down as far as she would go, sandblasted the exterior metal, put black Duracoat on it (my first Duracoat project). Also stripped the stock down, did some sanding, still have some more sanding and other work to do on the stock before I finish it. Not sure what finish to put on it. May just go with a Tru-Oil type finish. Don't ever envision doing much with this one beside carrying it in bad weather or on the tractor (when that day finally arrives). For now, just want to get it back together so it can get to the range and I can find a load for it.

Anyone have scope, mount, or ring suggestions? I can't do the scout scope piece as was done above.

Josh

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've never owned the one of the Spanish rifles, but was seriously considering it back in the early 80's when they first hit the market. After all, it was cheap! At that time I had a mentor who had a world of experience with virtually every type of military firearm ever made. Although I didn't buy that particular rifle, two statements he made stuck with me to this day.....

1. No government would deliberately manufacture a weapon of inferior quality. Why would they?

2. On the Spanish guns in NATO caliber..."That's pushing it a bit........so use common sense."

My conclusion would be that any of these rifles in decent condition should handle normal loads, despite possibly being at the upper end of their design and the Mauser designs were the best technology of the day.

By the way, I have seen a Japanese type 99 that DID blow while in the hands of the same mentor....but he readily admitted it was his fault. The rifle did not actually "blow up", but exhibited the usual signs of a soft head case failure. His face was burned and covered with powder particles, but the bolt stayed put and the Arisaka gas system/safety knob prevented serious injury. Turned out that he had grabbed a formed 30-06 case that some picklehead retrieved from a burn barrel (annealed) at the dumps. Once cleaned up it looked normal and got mixed in with his other brass. That's the only "blow up" I've ever heard of and in reality the action held easily despite a lot of gas pressure getting into the bolt channel. That rifle was put back into service too.

There are cases where low number Springfields have let go (usually without life threatning injury) , but as mentioned a lot of these earlier rifles got "weeded out" over the years by the various arsenals.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    I have a 1923 Oviedo M93 7x57 that is easily the most accurate 22 cal+ rifle I've ever fired--using a 2x pistol/scout scope, too!!! See http://www.castbullet.com/misc/m932.htm

I shoot the 154 Hornady to 2100 fps, and I go no higher.
    Enjoyed these articles Junior!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    Finally got this old girl out again. Stripped her down as far as she would go, sandblasted the exterior metal, put black Duracoat on it (my first Duracoat project). Also stripped the stock down, did some sanding, still have some more sanding and other work to do on the stock before I finish it. Not sure what finish to put on it. May just go with a Tru-Oil type finish. Don't ever envision doing much with this one beside carrying it in bad weather or on the tractor (when that day finally arrives). For now, just want to get it back together so it can get to the range and I can find a load for it.

Anyone have scope, mount, or ring suggestions? I can't do the scout scope piece as was done above.

Josh
    Ah! Tractor guns, a subject near and dear to my heart. I personally stick to irons for my tractor guns. My mount is nothing more than a hunka treated 2x4 with hole drilled large enough for the muzzle end (about 2") and another piece cut with a "U" shape opening for the buttstock. Both are mounted directly to the hood side on my 800 Ford. Considering the vibration and bumping around I think it's best to stick with a good quality peep sight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12