Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HF Cut off saws

I put in an order about a month ago for two blades. I got the first one just the other day, and am waiting on my spare blade.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm curious of the price range of this F&D Tool #15397 blade.

I googled "
    F&D Tool #15397"
    and got 4 links to fdtool and a link to this thread,,,and absolutely nothing for distributors and or a price list. I suspect something as unique as this blade, will require a call and ask to get a price, once a distributor is found.

$20 on Amazon.

Well I finally found a bit of time to get the F&D blade all mounted up and cut off some tubing. It certainly cuts nice, and if it wasn't for the unfortunate incident where the saw bound up bad broke the blade, I'd still be using it. I really have to say I am not impressed with the Harbor Freight saw. I mean, it does the job, it is cheap and really I could by about ten for the price of Corbin's fancy cut off saw. You do get what you pay for, and even then I wonder if I got something of a fluke as many people seem to have pretty good results.

I would think there would have to be some sort of intermediary price in saws. A good, better, best sort of thing. I could also think about half a dozen improvements to make to the Harbor Freight saw, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

I have a miter saw that I use for wood projects, I could do some searching and try and find the proper blade. Has anyone had much luck doing it that way? Is there a better saw for the job on the market or is it pretty much Corbin saw or the HF saw?

Boolit Buddy
    My intermediate choice would be a small band saw... Probably just as fast and should last a while with a good blade. You'd want a jig to avoid losing fingers

Sorry to be a little off subject, but some mentioned using beeswax to lube the blade. Curious if one were to lube the cases with something like the Dillon case lube would we get the same results?

Ok follow up on the saw blade from Chuckbuster, I have now done over 14,000 pieces and the blade is still like new. I highly recommend it. That's the good news, bad news our HF saw motor died, had to go buy a new saw.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by ryokox3 View Post
    Sorry to be a little off subject, but some mentioned using beeswax to lube the blade. Curious if one were to lube the cases with something like the Dillon case lube would we get the same results?
    No is does not work, I tried that.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Saw blade update:::::::: I finally had to change the blade on our saw. I have cut over 21 thousand pcs of brass. So I would say that we got our moneys worth out of the first blade.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

When I was using the HF mini I used a dab of swage lube on the blade. I gave up on the saw and went to a tube cutter. I get a much straighter cut this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ryokox3 View Post
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    When I was using the HF mini I used a dab of swage lube on the blade. I gave up on the saw and went to a tube cutter. I get a much straighter cut this way.
    What tube cutter are you using ?

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the problems I had with the HF saw were the result of loose parts that drive the blade. An occasional cleaning, tightening and Lube on the bearing that drives the blade helped quite a bit. What seems like a dull blade may actually be a loose blade. Performance was top notch after a clean and tighten session. Blades last almost forever in a well run machine. It's easy to pull the covers off and check out the things you can clean and adjust. With a cutting jig either bought or homemade you can trim a ton of 223 to BLK. GOOD LUCK.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohnomrbillk View Post
    My question too?

Check this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ss-for-swaging

Quote Originally Posted by ohnomrbillk View Post
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

In Remembrance

For the record, the HF saw cuts very cleanly with the saw blade we are using, and with the pass through fixture, we get very square cuts. There's no way that a tube cutter will cut as fast as we can go with the HF saw, with special blade and pass through fixture. And, since a tubing cutter works on pressure, the ID of the resultant cut would close up slightly. NOT GOOD.
    We are on our second HF saw, and second special blade (Kevin will happily get these for you, and was even thinking of doing a group buy), and original pass through fixture. The 21,000 cuts took almost no time at all. Next time I am over at Keith's, we will do a YouTube video, showing how we do the cuts. It's all very fast and safe.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Bub

I'm looking forward to your set up on YouTube!

Boolit Master

Lightbulb Group Buy: HF Chopsaw upgraded blade

Quote Originally Posted by jmcburn View Post
    They are much cheaper there that's for sure, but the shipping is $15.14 which makes the Amazon blade about the same. If at least 10 people are interested we could probably get these for about $12- $13 shipped, depending on postage on a padded envelope, the more the cheaper.

If you were a distributor:
    15397-J156 2" blade .020 thick, 3/8 arbor hole, 24tpi, 152teeth $13.81

This one seems to be the same as the Amazon one $8.36 +$15.14 shipping (goes up to $16.20 after 12ea):
    http://www.malcosaw.com/ecom/product/11/1019/

Amazon $21.40 +shipping unless Prime member or over $35 (one left as of today):
    http://a.co/0suyUSu

Harbor Freight $9.99 (no coupon):
    http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...els-42805.html

How about it? I can foot the initial cost of 10-20 of them from Malco Saw and mail them out when I get them, divide the total between us ($9.87 if 10 $9.17 if 20) then add actual shipping from me in TN, can't be more than a couple/three dollars to mail.

BTW, I don't think this is an ad per se (not trying to make any $, just save some), but if it goes against the TOS here let me know. If enough interest maybe we can start another thread or move this post.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I'd be in for 1 or 2

Boolit Master

One way to keep the blade tight is to change out the stupid Philips head screw for a socket head cap screw with a small lock washer under it. It just requires you to cut a little plastic away from the cover on the right side of the blade to clear the head of the cap screw.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast