WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HF Cut off saws

Boolit Master

I just use a stick of bullet lube applied about every fifth cut. Works well but you do get a bit of lube build up on everything near by. Currently using a chunk of mixed lube melted out of several old lubesizers. I have no idea what's in it but it works well. Can't use it for bullets and I try to never let anything go to waste. Must be the Scots in me.

Most machine shop supply catalogs sell 2 inch slitting saw blades of various thickness and tooth count. I changed out the screw holding the blade to a socket head cap screw after struggling with the factory screw just once. Had to carve out a notch in the plastic for the head of the screw to clear. Now it is easy to change blades.

Thanks for the heads up on the belt. No problem yet with mine but it is one of the weak links in the system.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

In Remembrance

I bought a complete set of pop through adjustable brass cutting fixtures.
    There are several of them available for sale, the most common one I see is the fixture for cutting 223 rem brass down to make 300 Blackout. Any one of the guys who make those might be willing to make you one for the 9mm brass.

The set I bought was made with locating pins which locate into a sliding adjustable fixture. I can chop brass any length, and the pop through feature holds onto the brass quite nicely for cutting. The guy who made them for me tells me that they are too busy to take additional orders at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by kc3ak View Post
    I am now the "proud" owner of a HF chop saw, and have used it to shorten some 9mm to use as jackets. I jury rigged a stop using a carriage bolt and a piece of sheet steel bolted to the left side of the saw base. It is crude but does work (sort of), but was wondering what you others are using for a stop to set the cut? I don't have access to all the machine shop tools that most of you do, but would like a better arraignment so the cuts are a little more consistent. Pictures sure would be nice. Any way, thanks for all the advice you already have given me, even though you don't know you have.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Sitting here thinking about this as the Saturday Morning coffee soaks in. Regarding Lube, I wonder if one of the Dry Film Lube sprays that contain Molybdenum might work and last longer. Molybdenum has a great affinity for steel at the molecular level, actually forms bonds so thoroughly degreasing a blade then applying the MOLY spray may give you a coating that lasts, the beeswax could still be applied after the fact if desired.
    Idea only applies to a MOLY spray due to the bonding property, graphite base or other "Dry Film" formula need not apply (pun intended)

Kevin
    Moly is great stuff.........as long as you can get it off you hands, tools, bench, walls, floor! Really messy black stuff. I have about a pound of moly powder I mix with different greases for lubing antique clock springs. Slickest stuff in the world. But it gets into your skin pores like crazy.

More power to those on here that still use the old moly powder lubing techniques! Total mess when I tried it.

"Moly.....the lube that keeps on being messy!" Until it is totally gone.

banger

Got mine, it was on sale. Blade uses an allen head screw now. Zepp's jig works great but I do need to tension the belt. Right hand means turn left to remove - correct? I'll try the A/C oil for lube. Sure beats the dremel cutoff wheel method.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    here is a 20% I got in an email this morning

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf-20-off.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	158949

Ok, Duke brought over the new blades that Chuckbuster sent and I well install and due some cutting just as soon as I can get some more cases cleaned and ready today.
    A big thank you to Chuckbuster. You always come thur for us with the solution to a problem.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Ok, Duke brought over the new blades that Chuckbuster sent and I well install and due some cutting just as soon as I can get some more cases cleaned and ready today.
    A big thank you to Chuckbuster. You always come thur for us with the solution to a problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	159504Here on right is new blade, one on left is the old standard blade from harbor freight. The new blade has finer teeth and much smoother cut finish on the brass case. I would highly recommend you get these from Chuckbuster. No chips left on brass like with the old blades.
    processed 100 pcs. Lubed blade with bees wax every 5th cut.
    This new blade cut my process time in half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 01-30-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

The new blades are under $20 each, and will last a LOT longer than the HF blades. Well worth the $$$.

Thanks Kevin (chuckbuster), for finding these blades for me.

Contact chuckbuster for these blades!

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Be interesting to see what you do get in tool life.
    Thanx for the initial report
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

In Remembrance

I met with Pee Wee (Keith) and his wife, and another shooting buddy, Eddie P and his wife, for dinner on Monday night. Keith gave me a bag of cut offs from the new blades, and they look wonderful. The finer teeth of the new blades eliminate any burr, the cut off edges are nice and sharp and clean. He gives the blades a taste of beeswax every fifth cut, and I'd expect that the blade will last many thousands of cuts.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Vendor Sponsor

I can see the finer teeth of the new blade and I am certainly interested, is there any other data on these blades? Better quality? Better Steel? harder steel? I like the idea of clean cuts and a blade that stays sharp. The HF blades cut pretty well when new but dulled quickly. I make thousands of cuts with my saw yet I am still using the ....... lousy HF blades. Is this new blade "jeweler's" quality or type? A quick search on line showed similar looking blades http://www.thurstonmfg.com/jewelers-slotting-saws.html

I'll be happy to support Chuckbuster, just looking for a bit more product details similar to those mentioned in the above link.

Swage on!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

In Remembrance

Brian,
    The saw blades are not made by Thurston.

chuckbuster will get you the specifics. I have already handed them off to PeeWee for the cutting process. (He cuts, I swage), so I don't have the package here to refer to.

They ARE jewelers saws. Very high quality steel. Finer teeth. The blades look to be "hollow ground" for metal clearance. chuckbuster asked me for a life cycle report on these blades, but I doubt we will ever see the end of life on one of these blades.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Frosted Boolits

Chuckbuster, will you post a link to where we can get these blades please? Thanks!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Anyone interested in these blades please just drop me a PM
    Thanx
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread

Frosted Boolits

Chuckbuster, sent you a PM yesterday about the blades. Maybe it didn't go through? Anyway I am interested so if you want me to send you another PM let me know and I will. Thanks!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Follow up on the saw blades from Chuckbuster. I Have now cut over 6000 pcs. Of brass and the blade cuts as good today as it did brand new. I got no where near that number with the harbor freight blades. Just wanted to let ya'll know how it is holding up. Swage on brothers.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Good to know. I just received the blade in the mail today. Looking forward to trying it out.

Regarding these blades. I do not have a way to sell these that is practical for anyone involved and save anyone any $$. Was able to get a couple for Duke & PeeWee to try. GOOGLE is your friend. If you search F&D Tool #15397 you will come up with several hits for the exact blade they are running. Buy from whomever you choose I have no connection to any of them.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT!!! contact F&D Tool, they only sell through Distributors, no direct end user sales.

THANX for understanding
    Kevin
    my feedback thread

Moderator Emeritus

I'm curious of the price range of this F&D Tool #15397 blade.

I googled "
    F&D Tool #15397"
    and got 4 links to fdtool and a link to this thread,,,and absolutely nothing for distributors and or a price list. I suspect something as unique as this blade, will require a call and ask to get a price, once a distributor is found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

If you look carefully at least a couple of the first hits you get in a Google search, at least for me, are actually AMAZON sellers or similar. Prices should be in the $15-20 range. I know near the price of a saw but based on results being reported maybe worth it.
    Sorry I can not be of more help, just not a good time for me to try to handle these right now.
    Kevin
    my feedback thread

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast