RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HF Cut off saws

Thanks Duke!

Has not happened to me yet but forewarned is forearmed.

Boolit Master
    "If you happen to have the part number for the Gates belt that would be nice."

Gates 88MXL025 PowerGrip Timing Belt

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

So, after talking with Duke I got out the best of our 4 blades and put on the saw and before each cut hit the blade with some bees wax and don't you know it cut like butter. Waiting for Chuckbuster to let us know about the blades that he has coming.
    I did try waxing the blade about every 10 cuts but after 4 cuts it started to bind again. I think that if I had a new HF blade that the once every 10 cuts would probably work. Putting the wax on for every cut is worth the time it takes to get a fast clean cut with the old blade, and it really doesn't take that much time anyway.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Do you think paraffin wax would also work, or just beeswax?

In Remembrance

Well, those of us who cast, and make our own lube for the boolits, always seem to have lots of beeswax around. (It's a primary ingredient in the making of the cast boolit lube).

I would think almost anything that would help lubricate the cutting teeth of the saw, and keep the teeth cooler than they would be otherwise, would be a help.

I've been in tons of machine shops, and they ALWAYS spray lube on the cutting saw teeth when they are cutting metals, including brass.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

OK just went out and tried paraffin wax and it also works, it is a bit messy, flings wax chips kinda like sawdust, (wax dust?) were the bees wax does not, must have something to do with the heat range of paraffin wax vs bees wax.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

And, as soon as chuckbuster comes through with a made in the USA saw blade, we will share that detail with the group also. I'm sure chuckbuster's company will enjoy a sudden splurge in sales of mini saw blades.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    And, as soon as chuckbuster comes through with a made in the USA saw blade, we will share that detail with the group also. I'm sure chuckbuster's company will enjoy a sudden splurge in sales of mini saw blades.
    Sweet, someone posted a saw blade about a year ago, however it was for a 6" saw. I remember reading about a lot of stuff since starting this journey down the swaging trail, however have trouble remembering where.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    now to find a coupon. got zepp's holder, nice work.

Between the magazines, news papers, and mail....I get 8-9 HF coupons every week! I have over 12 of those silly little FREE test meters, 8 screwdriver sets, 6 scissors, 9 tape measures!

I went thru my collection of coupons last week and threw away over 45 of them.

They are out there.....TONS of them!

banger

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=bangerjim;3515637]Between the magazines, news papers, and mail....I get 8-9 HF coupons every week! I have over 12 of those silly little FREE test meters, 8 screwdriver sets, 6 scissors, 9 tape measures!

Yesterday they had a 20% off, I'm waiting for the next 25% to save an additional $5 on an item.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    now to find a coupon. got zepp's holder, nice work.
    If you ask the person at the register nicely they will usually give you the discount without the 20% coupon
    Tell them you left it at home on the table when you walked out the door

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=just bill;3515643]
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Between the magazines, news papers, and mail....I get 8-9 HF coupons every week! I have over 12 of those silly little FREE test meters, 8 screwdriver sets, 6 scissors, 9 tape measures!

Yesterday they had a 20% off, I'm waiting for the next 25% to save an additional $5 on an item.
    You may have a long wait, my friend! I have not seen a 25-er in quite a while. That used to be their standard discount. But a couple years ago they went to all 20's.....have only seen 1 or 2 since then. If I were you, I would not mess with worrying about five bucks and get what you want..........NOW!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf-25-exp-2015-12-20.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	158768

It's expired but I bet they will take it anyway
    PM me if you want the full size jpg

I kick myself when I noticed they stopped selling the carbide sharpening stations that are 1/5 of the price of the high end ones that are easy to tune up to the high end one stature....anyways I got one of these little masquito chop saws and after about 200 cases the gear loosened and chewed up the belt! Thanks for the link for the replacement! I'll order one or two.

I've been using mine to make .38 Short colt brass as well....thats all kinds of fun out of a rifle guys...just saying.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint243 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf-25-exp-2015-12-20.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	158768

It's expired but I bet they will take it anyway
    PM me if you want the full size jpg
    The three HF stores I have (within a few miles of my house!) barcode scan the coupons in at the register and I have accidentally grabbed an old one and they would not take it. Had 6 others in my pocket!

Good luck. mabe you will luck out and they will take an expired one.

bangerjim

Boolit Man
    I am now the "proud" owner of a HF chop saw, and have used it to shorten some 9mm to use as jackets. I jury rigged a stop using a carriage bolt and a piece of sheet steel bolted to the left side of the saw base. It is crude but does work (sort of), but was wondering what you others are using for a stop to set the cut? I don't have access to all the machine shop tools that most of you do, but would like a better arraignment so the cuts are a little more consistent. Pictures sure would be nice. Any way, thanks for all the advice you already have given me, even though you don't know you have.

Quote Originally Posted by kc3ak View Post
    I am now the "proud" owner of a HF chop saw, and have used it to shorten some 9mm to use as jackets. I jury rigged a stop using a carriage bolt and a piece of sheet steel bolted to the left side of the saw base. It is crude but does work (sort of), but was wondering what you others are using for a stop to set the cut? I don't have access to all the machine shop tools that most of you do, but would like a better arraignment so the cuts are a little more consistent. Pictures sure would be nice. Any way, thanks for all the advice you already have given me, even though you don't know you have.
    I have been designing a case specific jig that is adjustable for trimming on such a saw, auto eject and easy load. Haven't built the thing yet...mostly just using it as a excuse to practice technical line drawling since its something I enjoyed doing at my old job in my free time.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    I have been designing a case specific jig that is adjustable for trimming on such a saw, auto eject and easy load. Haven't built the thing yet...mostly just using it as a excuse to practice technical line drawling since its something I enjoyed doing at my old job in my free time.
    I made a jig using a RCBS trim pro, works quite well. I have primarily used it in making 45 ACP shot shell as well as trimming 223 down to make 366 jackets

The one I want to make first from my design is the one to make .22 LR jackets into short jackets as that has been something I've wanted to play with more but have not really had the need just yet.
    My firearms project blog

Sitting here thinking about this as the Saturday Morning coffee soaks in. Regarding Lube, I wonder if one of the Dry Film Lube sprays that contain Molybdenum might work and last longer. Molybdenum has a great affinity for steel at the molecular level, actually forms bonds so thoroughly degreasing a blade then applying the MOLY spray may give you a coating that lasts, the beeswax could still be applied after the fact if desired.
    Idea only applies to a MOLY spray due to the bonding property, graphite base or other "Dry Film" formula need not apply (pun intended)

Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast