Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HF Cut off saws

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I have to ask. Has anyone used something such as a 14 inch metal cut off saw for this job? Abrasive blade rather than teeth and those saws shouldn't even notice going through a brass case. Just wondering. I don't have a saw and the HF 2 inch one gets such mixed reviews, makes me wonder if a bit more money for a better saw makes sense. Or if better blade should make the HF 2 inch good to go.
    The Harbor Freight saw was about $25.00 with coupon when I bought the last one a couple of months ago. The first one lasted for several years, as Duke had bought it and cut thousands of pcs. of brass with it and then I took over the task of cutting the brass and cut over 20,000 pcs. before it died. Small investment for the saw, Works great with the fixtures that Duke had Chuckbuster make and is very safe to use
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I have to ask. Has anyone used something such as a 14 inch metal cut off saw for this job? Abrasive blade rather than teeth and those saws shouldn't even notice going through a brass case. Just wondering. I don't have a saw and the HF 2 inch one gets such mixed reviews, makes me wonder if a bit more money for a better saw makes sense. Or if better blade should make the HF 2 inch good to go.
    I said once that I was out of this and I still am but...

Roger
    One BIG thing with an abrasive type saw would be blade width or thickness of the wheel. Thinnest I am familiar with is .045" which is more than Double the thickness of the blade on the HF Saw. You get into a 10" or larger saw that jumps to .062 or MORE.
    Also an Abrasive wheel is dirty, dust flying everywhere, even on these small cuts.
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

And one last comment, I had time to do a little more digging and have been around the industry long enough to "know people". No need to reveal my sources, just consider this straight from me, I hope that is good enough,,,

BUY FROM MALCO with ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE. USA Product, old family company, REALLY GOOD People.

Now I AM OUT of this subject
    Thanx
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

Hope we can get moving forward soon. My HF saw blade is getting dull cutting copper tubing for .308 jackets and needs a replacement. I know I have one or two unused spares somewhere in the reloading shed and will have to do a search; but still have 20" of snow at the entrance to it despite the warm weather melting the snow pretty fast.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

In Remembrance

Thanks, Kevin, for following up with this, and confirming that the Malco product is OK.

Pee Wee.... do we need (I'm sure we do) a couple of spares? If so, maybe you or Eddie should jump in on the group purchase.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    I would be glad to purchase 2 of these blades.
    Please add me to the list.

My thanks to all involved!

Boolit Master

Group Buy: HF Chopsaw upgraded blade

Bump before tomorrow's deadline
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Please include me for 2 blades please, let me know via pm for PayPal info.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

We are past the tipping point, so definitely happening. Now it's either the 10, or more as the cut-off nears. Everyone should PM their address, once the order arrives I will pm everyone with the exact amount for your part along with a copy of the invoice from Malco for future reference. I will accept paypal, postal money order or cash, what ever you guys choose is good with me.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

One last bump before I order in the morning.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

HF replacement blades

I'll take 2 blades.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

ok, ok, ok, I'm in for one blade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Put me in for 2 blades. Thanks for doing this guys.

Boolit Master

Omega:

Tried to PM info and it says your box is full and can not accept further PM's.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I'll go for one blade. I figure I'll get some use out of it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Omega:

Tried to PM info and it says your box is full and can not accept further PM's.
    Cleaned out my PMs.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Group Buy: HF Chopsaw upgraded blade - Now Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Ok, so far three have shown interest, with a possible 8 blades spoken for. Let's do this, post definitely numbers under this post. I'll edit this message with names and qty requested. If only 8 are spoken for I'll order 10, if at least 15, then I'll do 20. And to be clear, these are the Malco Saw blades, not the F&D ones.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Let's make the cut off on Thursday, midnight, I'll order first thing Friday. And BTW, multiples should save on shipping from me.

Mustang 3ea
    Hardcase54 3ea
    Cord 2ea
    Pee Wee 2ea
    Mold Maker 2ea
    JonB_in_Glencoe 1ea
    newcastter 2ea
    RogerDat 1ea
    Order placed, ended up being a total of 21 blades (3 off site and two for me) making each blade $9.63 each. Once I get them in I'll send PP info and totals to you guys.

Items Qty Price
    JS202038000
    SKU: JS202038000
    21 $186.06
    Subtotal $186.06
    Shipping & Handling $16.20
    Grand Total $202.26

Edit: Wanted to add that there was a minimum purchase of $25 per order, so at least 3 blades need to be ordered. Just wanted to put this out in case someone else wanted to get some from them.
    Last edited by Omega; 03-17-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add info.
    ~Pericles~

On the new blades getting ordered. Great! Thanks a bunch for taking point on this.

I bought one of the HF 2" saws, noticed the blade is now held on with a socket head cap screw rather than a Phillips or slotted screw. Think that was mentioned as a problem area. Checked the belt side and it seemed tight. Set up saw clamped to workbench with a piece of wood as a stop (brass is marked with sharpie also) and went at it. Seemed to work very well, had to keep rate of feed low in order to not hear a distinct shift in motor noise that sounded like "I'm working here!". Doesn't seem as though it could really handle "production" rate of use but others whose opinion I respect have gotten high volume out of the little buggers so maybe I'm misjudging.

Got nice cuts BUT noticed after cutting about 12 when I checked the belt I found that the shafts were very hot. Going to do some more checking and make sure all is tight but if it is and I am getting that much heat I would say cutting in small batches would seem necessary, that and the shafts don't have the greatest of bearings. Hot shafts will do a number on the belt and both of the shafts motor and blade were hot enough I did not want to put a finger on them.

Overall very happy with how it cuts, wish I had a few hundred I could work through as far as the cutting step before the 90 day warranty expires. I was using some cutting wax from my shop days that I keep around mostly as a screw lube for wood and self tapping screws. That helped a bit I think. The feed rate seemed smoother and seemed to reduce the load on the motor judging from the noise.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

On the new blades getting ordered. Great! Thanks a bunch for taking point on this.

I bought one of the HF 2" saws, noticed the blade is now held on with a socket head cap screw rather than a Phillips or slotted screw. Think that was mentioned as a problem area. Checked the belt side and it seemed tight. Set up saw clamped to workbench with a piece of wood as a stop (brass is marked with sharpie also) and went at it. Seemed to work very well, had to keep rate of feed low in order to not hear a distinct shift in motor noise that sounded like "I'm working here!". Doesn't seem as though it could really handle "production" rate of use but others whose opinion I respect have gotten high volume out of the little buggers so maybe I'm misjudging.

Got nice cuts BUT noticed after cutting about 12 when I checked the belt I found that the shafts were very hot. Going to do some more checking and make sure all is tight but if it is and I am getting that much heat I would say cutting in small batches would seem necessary, that and the shafts don't have the greatest of bearings. Hot shafts will do a number on the belt and both of the shafts motor and blade were hot enough I did not want to put a finger on them.

Overall very happy with how it cuts, wish I had a few hundred I could work through as far as the cutting step before the 90 day warranty expires. I was using some cutting wax from my shop days that I keep around mostly as a screw lube for wood and self tapping screws. That helped a bit I think. The feed rate seemed smoother and seemed to reduce the load on the motor judging from the noise.
    I have found that the HF motors are not the best out there, but...and that is a big but, I can run many of them from my trucks power inverter. I have a 4" grinder (with cut off wheels), this small chop saw and a chainsaw blade sharpener that I have used on the tailgate of my truck for one reason or another and they work very well for that. The grinder doesn't compare to my DeWalt in power, and there are better chopsaws out there but if you listen to the motor and keep it from bogging down on these HF motors, they do the job quite nicely.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Update: Group Buy: HF Chopsaw upgraded blade

The blades came in today, I have them packaged up and will go to the PO in the morning to get the shipping rates. I plan on regular 1st class, if anyone wants anything different let me know. I'll pm everyone the totals, my PP address and my mailing address as soon as I can.
    ~Pericles~

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast