Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry gun.

"you could just QUIT ELECTING THEM?" HA!

I didn't elect any of them,,,, If it was that easy, there would be none.

As soon as they take over DFW you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. All they need is a few more Mexicans and you'll be just as helpless politically as I am here. They already own Austin and San Antonio and when they take over DFW the Great State of Texas will change from Red to Blue, and I will ask. "why'd you elect them?"

This insidious plot relies on Stupid People. The whole Democratic Party relies on stupid people who are easily duped into thinking they are getting a better deal from Dems. Nevermind that they never make good on any of those Campaign Promises, it sounded good enough to get your vote. How they doin' so far? They got the biggest Liar in history elected twice!

Just remember,,, what you see happening out here is coming your way soon.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Move?? I left MA for that same reason

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Look at a Walther PPS next time. Everyone seems to overlook them. I've been carrying one since they came out. I couldn't be happier w/ it.
    Me too

I really like the Air Weight Smith & Wessons

S&W 637 has hammer

S&W 642 no hammer DAO

S&W 638 shrouded hammer

I have a 2" M 64 and a 2" M-12 (K frame air weight) The 2" M64 I find it is pretty heavy where as the J-frame air Wts you forget you have them, the M 12 does not conceal as well as the J-frames. Side by side not much larger just a little thicker and longer.

I helped a female co-worker get set up with a 637 for CCW, she already owned a Kimber 1911, GP100 and a smaller 9 mm auto. She needs to grip the slide just right in order to rack the 1911 and the smaller auto. She is a smaller build at about 5'4" and 120 lbs and in above average physical condition.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I saw what was an almost ideal cc gun. It was a S&W, model I don't remember. The gun was a custom made by a very well known pistol smith at that time from Cal. I even heard of the guy back then and can't recall it now. It had two flaws for me as a cc weapon. Being a revolver it was limited to 6 shots, 5 if you carry on an mty chamber and it was a bit fatter than a compact auto loader like my S&W Shield. But when that gun was brought into play, wow!!!!! The hammer had been bobed and the spring changed to accommodate the bobbed hammer. And the trigger was great! the only hand gun I ever shot was an old Dan Wesson 15 VH6 I owned years ago. The double action trigger on that old gun would rival a modern rifle! The single action trigger got even better. Just remembered the pistolsmith; Clark! But to compare that Dam Wesson to the Clark custom, the Clark killed it. zIt was designed for DA competition shooting. The trigger was unbelievably smooth and light and just before releasing the sear, there was a bumper behind it built into the trigger guard that stopped the trigger dead right there. Then the let off became better than any SA revolver I'd ever seen. if I were going to put together an SA for carry, I'd look around to find a pistolsmith that would do the same to a SA for me! There are gun's and then there are guns!

Boolit Grand Master

Clark knew his way around the inside of a S&W, no doubt about it. He built some pretty good PPC guns back in the day.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I left Kali a little over a year ago and love VA. I was a LEO from another state but could not get a CCW there because they did not know me (no money or power) but got one in VA in 11 days because I was a FA instructor. Lower taxes and much nicer people plus places to shoot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Being a revolver it was limited to 6 shots, 5 if you carry on an mty chamber and it was a bit fatter than a compact auto loader like my S&W Shield. !
    Why anyone would carry a S&W revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer is beyond belief.

Glock 19 when you can, S&W 442 when you can't.

Holster & belt selection is 95% of what will dictate what you will carry and when.

Look at different carry options and what they afford you, and what they will cost you.

Keep in mind carrying a gun is not comfortable, and no carry option in the world will turn your piece into a pair of fuzzy slippers. It should be comforting, not comfortable.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Why anyone would carry a S&W revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer is beyond belief.
    Depends upon the age and design of the revolver. I have an old S&W Model 10 and from what I understand, the early models did not have a hammer block. There was a firing pin that could rest on the primer, so one might want to have such a revolver with an empty chamber. I don't feel like digging through my gun safe to find that particular handgun to see if it was one of those early models though.

Boolit Buddy

My Yr round carry,
    24/7 is my P-30,
    30 rds in the mag and it's sister riding the fanny pack,
    1st 5 are HP, next 5 are SP, next 5 are FMJ,
    then repeat, repeat, etc, etc.

Retired 36+ yrs, LE.

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I looked at the owner's manual for the Colt Detective Special and noticed it advised carrying an empty chamber under the hammer. S&W a lot different?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    I looked at the owner's manual for the Colt Detective Special and noticed it advised carrying an empty chamber under the hammer. S&W a lot different?
    I expect someone to say this is not true so please look at page 20 of the manual which can be found here: http://gunmanual.net/index.php?optio...d=167&cf_id=24

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Depends upon the age and design of the revolver. I have an old S&W Model 10 and from what I understand, the early models did not have a hammer block. There was a firing pin that could rest on the primer, so one might want to have such a revolver with an empty chamber. I don't feel like digging through my gun safe to find that particular handgun to see if it was one of those early models though.

Smith and Wesson added a hammer block to the Model 10 in 1915 (I believe), after a sailor onboard a US ship dropped one to a lower deck. The discharge killed a fellow sailor.

If your S&W was manufactured after 1915 you are safe to carry on all six cylinders.

I can't speak for Colt or others.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JMax View Post
    I left Kali a little over a year ago and love VA. I was a LEO from another state but could not get a CCW there because they did not know me (no money or power) but got one in VA in 11 days because I was a FA instructor. Lower taxes and much nicer people plus places to shoot.
    The Peoples Republic of Californicate has certainly changed. I got my first CCW there (San Diego county) around 1970, no problem, cheap, any weapon (SD was very conservative back then, don't know about the rest of the state). Same in Or, Wa, AK. But, when I got transferred to VA in 83, I couldn't get one. When I came back to VA in 03, I had no problem getting one even as a out of stater. Kept AK residency as I live both places.

I carried 3 different Mod.10's, a Mod.64 (SS version of 10) and a mod 60, both in uniform and concealed in plain clothes and off duty for 20 years. all cylinders loaded all the time. Never had any problems.

A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I carried 3 different Mod.10's, a Mod.64 (SS version of 10) and a mod 60, both in uniform and concealed in plain clothes and off duty for 20 years. all cylinders loaded all the time. Never had any problems.
    Mine was originally owned by my grandfather. He was born in the late 1890s. It's *possible* that it is from before they had the hammer block, but I'm not sure. And I'm too lazy to search through the gun safe for it.

Earlier this year, I bought a bunch of zippered neoprene iPad/tablet cases to use to store my handguns in while in my gun safe so that they would be less likely to bang up against each other. It seemed like a good idea at the time. They all looked alike and were the same size, so it looked better than a hodgepodge of different size and manufacturer gun rugs. Of course, I didn't think of putting tags on the zippers or labels on the cases, so to find a particular gun, I have to search each and every one of them. Sure was a lot easier to find one when they were all just sitting on the shelves exposed.

A simple trick to find out if it would be safe to carry fully loaded. Take an ordinary wood pencil with an eraser and drop it down the barrel of the cocked revolver so the eraser is setting in the chamber. (Needless to say, make sure it is unloaded.) With the gun pointed upward take another pencil and tap the trigger hard enough to release the hammer. Tap it do not push it. If the pencil jumps up in the barrel I would carry on an empty chamber.

This is not a definitive test but would indicate it would be of a later design with the hammer block as stated earlier.

As for your cases. Have you thought about taking them to a t-shirt shop that does embroidery and have the model embroidered on each case? A lot of malls have these type of shops.

Mine was originally owned by my grandfather. He was born in the late 1890s. It's *possible* that it is from before they had the hammer block, but I'm not sure. And I'm too lazy to search through the gun safe for it.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    As for your cases. Have you thought about taking them to a t-shirt shop that does embroidery and have the model embroidered on each case? A lot of malls have these type of shops.
    I figured I would just get a string tag that I could write on and put it on the zipper pull. Something large enough that I can put it in the typewriter and type up the text on it.

Boolit Master

Just got a Walther PPS like it alot

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast