Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: thinking about getting another AR15

thinking about getting another AR15

Its been a few years since Ive had one in 556 my last was my NRA high power rifle , Yes it was exceeding accurate maybe that spoiled me ,Been doing some reading and research on whats available and exactly what I want in my next one . What I'm thinking is just a basic lightweight rifle or carbine no rails or float tubes ect ect. . Ive read some of the reviews and shooting experiences on several different AR related forums and Im not to encouraged on the accuracy of alot of them ,most were tested at only 50-100 yds and like I said I wouldnt be to excited about the results but they seemed to be OK with it (2-4 moa 5 shot groups ) Like I said maybe I got spoiled with a match rifle? Has any of our members here have experience with lightweight barrels ? what kind of results are you getting on average on a standard AR barrel in a standard rifle? Dont really want to spend 6-700 dollars on a rifle that will only shoot a 4" group at 100 yds
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    A lot of those tests were shot with 55 and or 62 gr military fmj ammo. Most of that stuff is only capable of 2-4 moa from even the best AR's.
    I just purchased a Ruger AR-556 but haven't wrung it out yet. I fired 40 rds of Rem brand 55gr fmj .223 at 50 yds and it functioned fine. Accuracy wasn't checked...shooting offhand and/or leaning against the pole barn with iron sights. I have a 2moa red dot on it now which will serve my purposes. I will be happy with 4" at 100 with the red dot. I have no doubt the rifle will do better with a good scope and a little trigger work and ammo tailored to its likes.
    The military 55/62 gr 5.56 Nato ammo is not built to moa accuracy standards.

Boolit Master

why dont you build one just a thought out of the box RRA make a good AR
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Build one the way you like it. I built two last year. Look for a lower receiver on sale for around 39 dollars and go from there. It get's addicting.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

While not a lightweight, look for a Colt 14.5" SOCOM 1:7 bbl. They can be found online when in stock for about $189. Excellent shooting barrels and I've seen several issued M4A1 shooting sub 1 MOA with Mk262 out of them. Just built several new ARs at home, one with a 20" Govt profile, 18" GM SS 1:14 for the wife, and another 14.5" SOCOM for the son (pin/weld).

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

I purchased an AR-15 kit from Blackthorne Products (20" Heavy Barrel A2 with a 1:9 twist) and built an AR using a lower receiver I had purchased earlier. I think I had less than $430 in the rifle and it would shoot sub 4" groups at 200 yards using iron sights (if the shooter would do his part).

Last one I built I used a 20" Hybrid contour Criterion barrel. Purchased through Brownell's. Has a tapered profile under the handguard to make it stiffer than a government profile but lighter than a match barrel. It's stiff enough under the hand guard that not having a free float would not effect it as much as the government profile barrel. I mounted a White Oaks Armament free float tube. I like it a lot. It has a 223 Wylde chamber chrome lined. Have shot 200 rounds through it then cleaned It up with a few patches. Chrome is usually easier to clean but this thing is freaky. But I may of got lucky. Only have experience with this single barrel. Shot it all last year with a 1x3X scope on it. Seams as accurate as I can aim it. Can shoot groups down around an inch at 100 ten shots. With Hornady bulk bullets. Prone position. In the process of mounting a 1 3/4 x 6x scope on it. Moving the 1x3 over to a carbine upper I picked up cheep. Will be able to get a better accuracy comparison with more magnification. When I was young 3x would of been enough. I expect it to shoot easily under an inch. Maybe half inch and under with Sierra bullets. Anyway I'm tickled with the thing so I put in a plug.

Other items I'm liking is Alliant AR-Comp powder and RCBS X die.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Banned

I just bought one of these http://www.impactguns.com/bushmaster...-30rd-mag.aspx Its seems as light as my old dpms sportical was and it has a forward assist and dust cover that gun didn't. I got mine for 650 out the door at the local gunshop and it came with one of those Bushnell ts25 redots that usually run around 75 bucks. I know its no high quality high dollar gun but I put a couple hundred rounds through it the other day and it didn't miss a beat.

thinking about getting another AR15

I built a sub-MOA 18" last year. Throw money at the stuff that counts, BCG, barrel and trigger. Free float and shoot. Load development is paramount. This one sports OdinWorks barrel, CMC trigger and a mix of ALG and Aeroprecision stuff.

10shot at 100yds 55grn midway dog town over stiff charge of TAC

5shot 75grn hornady Hpbt match over stiff charge of Varget
    Last edited by Jupiter7; 01-24-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks folks , Its just amazing the number of parts/options there are for these guns. And for now unless I can find an upper that has everything I want I plan on starting to gather it all piece by piece. What I have in mind is a slick side flat top upper or atleast one w/o the jam button, mid to LW barrel and was planing on what Gabby M did with a NM float tube I see that white oak even has a mid length option ,Im sorta leaning in that direction with a 16 " barrel. Lower will be set up with either an old A1 length stock or a basic CAR unit.

Jupiter 7 thats a nice shooting rifle. Those cheap dog town bullets shoot great I used to use them when I shot HP for the OH ,sitting and rapid prone stages even shot a couple cleans rapid prone with them if I held my tongue just right ! never could get the Hornady 75 match to shoot well for me but shot the Amax great at slow prone.

thanks,Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

RU Shooter, I used the white Oaks varmint forearm tube. Aluminum in black.
    The NM forearm might actually make for a better hunting rifle. One thing I've noticed is in the winter that aluminum tube draws the heat right out of your hand. My son in law out in AZ says in the summer his heats up in the sun to where you can't hold onto it. Metal rifles just aren't to cozy.

I just stayed with a GI fore arm on this new carbine. I like it fine.
    Last edited by GabbyM; 01-25-2016 at 01:33 AM.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I built a sub-MOA 18" last year. Throw money at the stuff that counts, BCG, barrel and trigger. Free float and shoot. Load development is paramount. This one sports OdinWorks barrel, CMC trigger and a mix of ALG and Aeroprecision stuff.

10shot at 100yds 55grn midway dog town over stiff charge of TAC

5shot 75grn hornady Hpbt match over stiff charge of Varget
    That's damn good shooting for a rifle with no sights
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    I have AR-15's in 5.56, 6x45 and 6.8SBC and I've had 300 blk. Palmetto had a sale on their 7.62x39 complete upper for the AR-15. after shooting SKS's and a friends mini-30(the SKS's are more accurate) I tried the palmetto upper. it was so good that I now have two of them! I get about 1 1/2 groups with .308 bullets and sub inch groups with .310 bullets. (all 123gr.)(at 100 yards) the first one is close to be broken in but the new one is still pretty tight. I'm now trying lead bullets with gas checks. 1600 FPS seems to be the sweet spot so for, but I've shot them up to 1800FPS. I'm using (white 40-40-10 lube) and or alox. with Factory type loads the older barrel is great(older means that Ive had it about a month) but with lead it's a "cold" barrel. it takes about 3-4 shots to warm up the barrel to get it to shoot to point of aim. the new barrel hasn't gotten to that point yet.(ok, I've only had it a week) and it's winter down here still. so far almost no FTF's or FTE's the newer barrel is not real happy with the lead reloads but that might be because I'm reloading the steel cases (and yes, I have berdan primers).