Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .222 Remington question

Boolit Master

.222 Remington question

I am seriously considering the purchase of a model 722 Remington in .222 Remington.
    Has anyone had any experience with this model/caliber?
    I would be using it for varmint hunting (coyotes) out to 250 yds. I already have a .257 Roberts which use for that purpose but the .222Rem seems a better fit and the lightest bullet in the .257 is 75 grains where as the .222 I could be using 45 or 50 gr.
    Your thoughts are appreciated
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

The only real issues with the 721/722's are the extractors can wear out. Replacements can be hard to find.

In my 222's I mostly shoot 40 grain V-max's or Ballistic Tips

Boolit Buddy
    I'll second the extractor caution. I had a wonderful shooting 721 which became close to useless because of worn extractor. I tracked down the original machinery from Remington factory (long story) which was sold to individual and he was considering getting the machinery up & running since there was a demand. Without original part there is no easy way to fix the extractor without modifying the bolt. Really a shame because I really liked that 721.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Great rifles, my 722 shoots the NOE 225-55 FN great. The 222 is a natural for cast with a 1x14 twist and the 722 has 26" of barrel.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Had one and loved it. Sold it when my velocity hormones took over and regretted it almost immediately. I had another one built on a 700 action with a Shilen bench rest barrel and man oh man, would it ever shoot. I carried it to South Dakota years ago to shoot prairie dogs and while it did great, it was way to heavy for a repeat visit.

Long story short, the triple deuce is still king in my book. You got me to wanting another sporter!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Back before the PPC cartridges came into being the 222 was THE accuracy king for benchrest shooting. I had three rifles in that caliber. Single shot 40x, 788 rem and a sako vixen. The accuracy load back then was as I remember 19grs 4198, rem cases, rem 7 1/2 copper colored primer and rem 55 grain match bullet. Extractor issues aside I don't think you will be disappointed in the accuracy department. Frank

Boolit Master

First thing to do if you get it is flush out the trigger/safety/sear assembly with solvent. I generally find these almost glued together with old oil that has solidified over the last 60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The only real issues with the 721/722's are the extractors can wear out. Replacements can be hard to find.

In my 222's I mostly shoot 40 grain V-max's or Ballistic Tips
    I wouldn't let the extractor part hold you back. It will most likely never break. If it does convert it to an m16 extractor. Thats very popular on custom builds now.

I am a huge triple deuce fan.
    For coyote I like tougher bullets than the blitz types. Sierra 50 grain soft nose flat base #1330 Varminter.

I shoot my cast bullets in 222 at 2,400 fps. From the 24" barrel CZ pictured in my avatar. If you want to shoot cast rifle bullets it's hard to beat the fun factor of a 222.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Mold
    I had a Sako extractor installed in a 722 years ago, simple milling procedure. As previously mentioned an AR extractor would be cheaper/easier to come up with.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    I wouldn't let the extractor part hold you back. It will most likely never break. If it does convert it to an m16 extractor. Thats very popular on custom builds now.
    The 721/722'sextractors don't break often but they do wear out. This is fairly common. The later 700's with the rivet are far more prone to breaking.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...M722-Extractor

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ractor-install

A couple of issues to be aware of on the Sako or M16 extractions on Remington bolts. One issue is the modified bolt doesn't handle gas as well. The other issue is the higher ejection angle causing the cases to hit the scope depending on shape and ring height. Cost for the install normally runs $125 to $175.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post...oto=nextoldest

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/mater...structions.pdf
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-19-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hey!! For all of those defunct 722's that cannot extract give me a call as I will relieve you of your junk if possible!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I Have a 722 that I inherited from a close friend who was the original owner. That rifle has been shot thousands of times by he and I and is still going strong. Because I am a .222 enthusiast I have owned a number of them but they are all gone and the 722 is still in my collection. Even if it did not have sentimental value I would never consider selling it.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I had a very accurate 722 in .222 in the late 1960s. After I traded it off I had seller's remorse and bought a 700 in .222 about 1970. I still have that rifle. It too is very accurate. Unless you are getting a screaming deal on the .222 that will pay for a lot of brass I would find a .223 just for the better brass supply.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Hey!! For all of those defunct 722's that cannot extract give me a call as I will relieve you of your junk if possible!!
    Not getting mine. I have one each new extractions for a 721 & 722 just in case. They aren't for sale either.

Boolit Buddy
    Perhaps you shoud give CZ a look. Bought my dad one of their rifles in .222. He was shooting a Remington 788 (IIRC). He said the CZ was lighter and his groups got a bit smaller. His only complaint was the magazine springs were stiffer than the Remington springs and his eighty-two year old hands just did have the strength they once had.

Man could he slay ground hogs. We lost him a year ago come the 27th.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .222 is far more accurate than the .223 Rem. which replaced it. Its 14" twist of rifling limits it to flatbased bullets not over 55 grains, but with proper bullets it is a tack driver and effective to about 200 yards. It is also more accurate than a .22 Hornet or .218 Bee for lower velocity loads and is well suited for use with cast bullets at around 2000 fps.

Best powders for full power jacketed loads are 4198 and RL7. For cast loads you can use the same powders, just use 75% of the jacketed bullet charge with a 50-grain gaschecked bullet which fits the throat and is cast about 15-16 BHN.

Good advice hosing out the trigger group with Gun Scrubber, then Kroil. Extractor did break on mine, I had the bolt modified to use a Sako extractor which is a good fix, much better than the M16 extractor.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Had a 222mag in early 700 remmy that was stolen and I still miss that gun almost 50 years later!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I am seriously considering the purchase of a model 722 Remington in .222 Remington.
    Has anyone had any experience with this model/caliber?
    I would be using it for varmint hunting (coyotes) out to 250 yds. I already have a .257 Roberts which use for that purpose but the .222Rem seems a better fit and the lightest bullet in the .257 is 75 grains where as the .222 I could be using 45 or 50 gr.
    Your thoughts are appreciated
    The cartridge is an extremely good one, highly accurate and extremely effective on smallish game. 250 yards is a range at which other .22 centrefires, but at shorter ranges it might easily be the other way around. In accuracy, among the cartridges some have named, there is probably more difference between individual rifles than there is between chambering. But the .222 is inferior to none of them, and in a bolt action rifle there is no reason to go for anything rimmed.

The only real decision to be made is .222 or .223. There is no question about quick and easy availability of brass being better for the .223, but I can't see .222 ever disappearing from the market altogether. I don't see a significant accuracy advantage for the .222 when both are handloaded to the same standard with jacketed bullets. But if you plan much use of cast, the longer neck of the .222 is worth having, and the increased powder capacity of the .223 isn't.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE A couple of issues to be aware of on the Sako or M16 extractions on Remington bolts. One issue is the modified bolt doesn't handle gas as well. The other issue is the higher ejection angle causing the cases to hit the scope depending on shape and ring height. Cost for the install normally runs $125 to $175./QUOTE]

Mine was a custom build .284 ultralight built by a local shop called Acculight Rifles. I had a Leupold 3 x 9 on it in low Redfield mounts and shot Hornaday 154 grains out of it at max velocity. I never had a case rupture or had brass hit the scope. I guess I was lucky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast