RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thompson center molds

Boolit Master
    I dug around a little and found a copy of a T/C catalog for their Thunderhawk model. It clearly shows three different weights of 54 cal Maxiballs available in already cast, pre-lubed and packaged form- probably the ones triggerhappy243 mentioned. It also shows an image of the Maxiball (without lube) that appears to be different from the much older standard T/C Maxiball design and looks very similar to the pics posted of the "unknown" in this thread. I don't know if the molds for this newer type Maxiball were ever available through T/C. And still no idea as to the mold manufacturer. Possibilities like NEI, Magma, Saeco and Rapine come time mind, not to mention others.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 01-19-2016 at 04:16 PM.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Perma-Banned
    fouronesix, that looks just like the boolits that drop from my mold!

Yea, that would be them. Interesting for sure. Maybe TC wanted to try one with almost the same profile except having angled lube grooves?

Would TC have any knowledge of these? If they printed a picture like that you would think they got it from somewhere.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several like 3-4 or more if nothing on them but numbers that had no meaning other than keeping both halves together. One is an odd ball. RB on one side and flip it over and its a completely flat like a full wad cutter.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    hello all. this is what I found in my mold drawer. I have 2 of the 50 and 54 cal. molds in both profiles. I never knew. the molds I have that have the tapered bands all came from T/C wrapped packaging. None of them say T/C. but they have the cal. size as well as some sort of number I.D.

I have 2 catalogs from t/c I need to find the second one. the first is dated 2001, it lists 2 separate weights for 50, 54 and 58. the profiles are not clearly illustrated.

I figured TC made these molds, or had them made for them. The aluminum they are made out of is typical of TC.

Perma-Banned
    This might have been TC's tip top secret and we are busting it wide open LOL, I'm gonna bet this has been talked about before somewhere along the line, the bullets look so much different there's no way it has gone unnoticed, I know looks mean very little in some situations, with that said I like the looks of this bullet better than the squared off version

I might be completely off base, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the angle of the grooves helps with lube flow. I am not sure how it applies to ML, but if I remember right it was in regards to cast rifle boolits.

Just a few comments on T/C branded moulds. Green Mountain at one time marketed moulds (RB only?) which were dead ringers for the T/C blocks (also aluminum) and sprue cutters: I bought an unused .50cal. (actual dimension unlike the .488" - .490" T/C branded ones) at Dixon's ML Fair several years ago. Second, Saeco, and Lyman also produced Maxi-Ball moulds. Although I've never seen the former, they surface from time to time on the auction sites. As for Lyman Maxi-'s, though well made, their dimensions, the forward driving band for ex., could vary widely as could the weight of the CBs. Frankly, the T/C branded Maxi-Balls were much more uniform and accurate in my .50cal. 1:48 twist bbl's.

Perma-Banned
    One thing for sure (at least so far) it seems the boolit mold I have is NOT a very common one? I can find plenty of mold pictures and boolits that are identical to the old bullet I have pictured that our friend poured, but in all of my searching/digging I could only find a few pics of boolits that look like the ones from my mold, and no info with the pics I seen? Definately an odd deal

Boolit Master
    I would imagine that the "new" design packaged/lubed bullets of the Maxiball type with the different weights of 365, 430 and 530 were supplied to T/C for distribution under the T/C brand by contract. That "new" design Maxiball mold was likely not made by T/C as T/C never made molds previously but had them made by outside contractors like Ohaus and Shiloh. And just like the molds sold through T/C in the past, these newer molds don't have makers logos on them. Not that it matters much, but it'd be interesting to find out who cast the newer packaged/lubed T/C Maxiballs and who made the for-retail-sale molds of the newer design like the one marked 54 cal - 2252.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

I enjoyed reading this, it was both interesting and informative. I have a few T/C molds that I picked up at Friendship, IN in the mid-nineties. There was a sizeable box down one of the sheep shed rows, the box was full of molds....you got to kind of pick and choose. I bet I was there over an hour digging and picking though that box. The molds match the design of the one on the right, some of the boxes were a little damaged and from time to time a screw missing. They were priced accordingly.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I would imagine that the "new" design packaged/lubed bullets of the Maxiball type with the different weights of 365, 430 and 530 were supplied to T/C for distribution under the T/C brand by contract. That "new" design Maxiball mold was likely not made by T/C as T/C never made molds previously but had them made by outside contractors like Ohaus and Shiloh. And just like the molds sold through T/C in the past, these newer molds don't have makers logos on them. Not that it matters much, but it'd be interesting to find out who cast the newer packaged/lubed T/C Maxiballs and who made the for-retail-sale molds of the newer design like the one marked 54 cal - 2252.
    This is exactly my thoughts as well, it doesn't matter who made the mold? The interesting part to me is the change in design. Like I said I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot any of these, I definately like the looks of this bullet better than the old original bullet, the sloped bands vs the more squared off bands of the older ones.

Boolit Master
    something that I have not thought of, is what design is currently being produced? I need to find someone here local that buys the pre cast ones and have a look see for myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12