Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee cast iron vs Rockchucker Supreme.

Boolit Buddy

Lee cast iron vs Rockchucker Supreme.

Wanting a single stage press for rifle bullets, sizing, maybe making some brass 410 shells etc. I have the cast Turret kit and bought an additional lee perfect powder measured. I was hoping to use lee dies with quick change dies preferably Hornady L&L because they are cheaper than lee. I've been looking at the deals on the rock chucker supreme press with its rebate vs the Lee cast iron press cost wise it's a wash. The strongest thing I see is the RCBS powder dispenser that comes with the kit. I would be loading 30/30 and 30/06 when I buy one this spring. I have been downsizing the number of firearms/calibers and striving for versitility and simplicity in the wood shop and want the reloading/casting area to be uncluttered by redundancy.

Boolit Master
    I look at this.... this way. you buy both side by side. 2 or 3 years from now, both presses break beyond repair. Which one will replace it for free? RCBS WILL.

Boolit Buddy
    So will the RCBS powder drop handle stick powders?

Banned

Not sure how useful it is to pick a press based on a 2-3 year life expectancy. They will both last much longer. On Midway USA the Rock Chucker Supreme rates 4.3 based on 97 owner/user reviews. The Lee Classic Cast rates 4.9 based on 127 owner/user reviews. Either one will do the job, and then some.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I had a USA made Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic Cast on my bench for three months comparing them with no bias, as I like both companies. I still have the Lee, the RC has been sold long ago. The Lee was simply the better press.

Boolit Mold
    So Far, I have loaded Varget, Unique, Titegroup, Bullseye & HS6 and the only issue I ran into was some of the powders seemed to get "crushed" and clump in the Rockchucker powder drop. Then, based on a suggestion from this forum, I switched over to a smaller drum and cylinder (the small RCBS one), and everything is fine now. Working flawlessly.

Banned
    What are you going to do to a Classic Cast that will break it in 2 or 3 years? I have had mine for a long time and it is still going strong.

And enough about the vaunted RCBS customer service. I have tried twice to get simple replacement parts for my turret press from them. After waiting on hold, and offering BOTH TIMES to pay for the parts and shipping, I was promised that "we will get it out to you right away". It has been 9 months and no parts. So spare me.

That did not influence my decision to go with the Classic Cast. In fact, I have an old Rockchucker also. There is nothing that the Rockchucker can do that the Lee can't. And I like the way the Lee deals with spent primers versus the RCBS.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee to resize .308 matter of fact I do most of my resizing on it .

Boolit Master
    I was just using an arbitrary number. 2-3 years 20 to 30 years. whats the difference? you break an RCBS press that is 20 years old, they will replace it. LEE?............. I hear crickets. sorry. and as far as replacement parts go sghart3578, I was not privy to your phone conversation, but every time I needed parts, they arrived 3 days before I thought they would.

buttonbuck, I hand weigh all loads that use stick powders. I dont care what it is. If you hear that crunching sound while dumping stick powder, I assure you the powder kernels are being shattered.

and as far as the rock chucker supreme press is concerned... i dont own one. the 4 I have are all PRE-SUPREME models. I heard of the spent primer disposal issue with it. Yes, it needs help.

Boolit Buddy

Have RC supreme, great press, my second RC. Primer disposal issue is easily solved. It will likely outlast you, and I have never had to pay for or wait for any RCBS replacement parts...including those where I was at fault. Their powder measure works fine, get the micrometer adjustment add on...you will be cutting longer stick powders with most measures from my experience.

Great products, exceptional service.

Boolit Master
    I can't compare Lee to RCBS , but for 20-30 year's when I break a Lee part thay replace it. Usually the shipping is more than the part.

I don't think the Lee will hold up like the RCBS. I have one of each but the Lee [breechlock challenger?] gets the light duty dirty work [de prime] and the RCBS does the heavy clean stuff [sizing cleaned cases....].

Banned
    Both of those presses are more than strong enough. Personally I'd go with the RCBS just because I like the company.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee for primer disposal. Once you have one w/ a hollow ram the catch cups are just stupid. As far as lasting. People swage w/ the Lee Classic Cast. Far be it from me to tell others how to spend their money. But paying more for a press because of the name on it foolish.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I have broken parts on my Lee Classic Cast twice now and Lee refused to cover the parts under warranty. I was honest and told them I was swaging bullets. I have broken parts on my Lyman T-Mag II twice and had to pay for the replacement parts myself. I have broken parts on my RCBS and they shipped parts for free, even though I told them it was my fault. I have broken several parts on my Hornady LNL and they have sent replacement parts for free.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

My experience has been similar to Bonz ^^^^^, I've had parts break on a Lee Classic Turret, and got no satisfaction from Lee. My experience with RCBS has been like Dillon and Hornady. Parts shipped out very quickly at no cost to me.

Boolit Buddy
    heres the differance between the lee press and the rock chucker .

the lee press is 100% made in the usa , that rock chucker is a chinese casting

Quote Originally Posted by fg-machine View Post
    heres the differance between the lee press and the rock chucker .

the lee press is 100% made in the usa , that rock chucker is a chinese casting
    I thought they tried getting castings from China, had a lot of issues and went back to US castings? Still glad I bought the Classic Cast though.

Boolit Buddy
    that is quite likely , but once these companies start to out source anything i quickly lose interest in them and buy elsewhere when possible .

Boolit Man
    I have the Lee machine and though most of my reloading kit is Lee product, I selected my set-up for value, function and safety, in any order you might care to consider. I also have RCBS, Redding and Lyman tools, bought at the same time as the Lee stuff, because it was top quality and met the above
    I think the Lee press is the better choice than the RCBS.