RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee cast iron vs Rockchucker Supreme.

I'm on fixed income, worked for 40 years or so, lost my job when government contracting dried up. Nobody wants to hire a older guy, but I feel I have paid my dues. I could buy any type reloading equipment I want to, but chose not to because I watch the budget. The young guns with more money than common sense have the elitist attitude, and that's ok, but I wish they would keep it to themselves.

Have a blessed day.

Boolit Master
    I can't comment on the LCC because I haven't ever used one but I do have a lot of Lee and RCBS equipment as well as a few other brands.

The Lee tools work there is no doubt and some are very inventive but when I buy a Lee tool I buy it knowing that it basically has no warranty. Let's be honest, for 1/2 "retail" price plus shipping for any Lee tool I own I'm much better off just buying a new one.

RCBS on the other hand has AWESOME customer service. Plus I dare say if not all the time 99.9% of the time it covers stupidity too.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I have mostly lee equipment. I consider it like a a debate like the one between say craftsman tools and say Snap On. Both good options having read some reviews and posts it seems the rebate is the deciding factor in the price point. The warranty helps. One problem I did see on some reviews was the quick change bushings get stuck. The second was with the primer arms. I am going to do some more digging.

I owned a RockChucker and own a LCC. Both are great but would not trade either for my Redding T7 nor my Dillon 550's.

RCBS has the best customer service.

Boolit Master
    where is the "LIKE" button. there are some excellent points being made here in this thread.

Boolit Master

I have a mid-90's rock chucker and two Lee classic Cast. I can afford any single stage press in the market and I chose a second Lee after trying the first.

The RCBS only does one thing better. The handle doesn't come down and stick out easily like the Lee.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    where is the "LIKE" button. there are some excellent points being made here in this thread.
    Look at the top of any page and you will see some drop down menus. Look in "Thread Tools" I believe if you "subscribe" to this thread it will save it in your "subscribed threads" menu. Give it a try.

If I'm wrong I surly hope someone corrects me.

Motor

This is kind of a Ford vs. Chevy argument. I have RCBS presses and both RCBS and Lee dies. They all have their good and bad points, but I don't think you can top RCBS's customer service. I also agree that Redding makes top quality reloading tools, especially scales and powder measures . Bottom line is they all crank out quality ammo and will give you years of service !

Boolit Master
    When gathering opinions the Lee tool will have the advantage of a lower price if you buy a new press.

The Rockchucker will have the advantage of being the first in the market so there are many of them available used and there are a lot of people that have had good experiences with them. For example my Rockchucker has been in constant use for 44 years. When I bought it, RCBS sold a combo of the press with a set of dies. Since I did not need the dies the discount store agreed to take the die set out of the box and sell me the press for $35. That was when they sold a 788 Rem for $75. At that time Lee was still making only the whack a mole.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    If I break a piece of reloading equipment after using it for many years, I guess I just man the heck up and either repair it, or replace it. I personally feel if you use things, there is always the chance things may break or wear out, so I don't go into a purchase looking for a freebie before the product even has a chance to break or wear out. I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just how I roll.

I never count on extended warranties, or lifetime warranties, because I've been burned by both. Lee makes fine products at a reasonable price that will outlast most of us, if cared for even close to reasonably. And, if Lee equipment does break, they have always treated me pretty good.

To have the arrogance to say that folks who use Lee do not have money, well, it's just foolish and it does tend to get old quickly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    To have the arrogance to say that folks who use Lee do not have money, well, it's just foolish and it does tend to get old quickly.
    Lee users say exactly that that all the time. That is they say they base their decisions on the lower prices of Lee products.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Lee users say exactly that that all the time. That is they say they base their decisions on the lower prices of Lee products.
    Why pay more for a tool if the cheapest one works and lasts? This is how I look at. It's not like we are comparing HF power tools to the likes of Bosch. I can afford to buy any press or dies I want. I always start w/ Lee if they make it. If it doesn't work I buy another brand. I've had to do this a whole two times. And if Lee made small base dies it would only be one time. The money I've saved has allowed me to buy a lot of other tooling. It's a win win for me.

And just because someone says they based their decision on price doesn't mean they don't have any money.

Boolit Master
    I try to base my decisions on what works. The Lee Classic Cast works and works well and it cost less than the Rockchucker I used for many years. My brother has the RC and I have the Lee. I also have the Redding turret for my black powder rifles and it is a fine press. As much as I like and admire RCBS tools and dies I don't find much virtue in spending more for the same quality of tool.

Make your choice. Either is a superb press and you won't be disappointed with their performance.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Buddy
    All people are free to spend their money however they wish. But what I have seen, over and over again, is that the folks who decide to spend more on a product will almost belittle those who decide not to. I suspect it makes them feel better about their decisions.

EDG, I do not know you, nor do you know me. I can tell you this. I do very well in my profession, and can afford to buy whatever I wish. Growing up, this was not the case, so I can say I appreciate everything I have, and know exactly what it takes for me to get them. I do not think I a alone is this and I am sure many members have the same history.

If you perceive that the items you buy are a good value for your money, then have a nut. But do not think you that you have the right to tell me that what I what I perceive to be a good value is junk. To do so makes you look snobbish, petty, and small.

I personally thought this thread had good info and input until the "Lee Bashing" started. Downright disappointing.

Boolit Master

I'll say it again since some won't hear. I had a RC and a Classic Cast. I wanted a third press (for assembly line style precision reloading) so I bought another of the better press- the Lee.

I have every other brand, it's not like I couldn't afford whatever I wanted.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I want to buy what works. What makes forums great is that being a parent of 12 and 9yo that are homeschooled is shooting is part of the curriculum. Making economic decisions, social interaction, respectful dialogue, research, outside education, recycling and ballistics is part of the curriculum. The end result is pride in a well placed shot on a paper target or your quarry. Like many I suspect I have too many irons in the fire. Archery, traditional muzzleloading (1/2 of my guns) slug, pistol and soon rifle. Yes money figures in because we sell off the excess, trade up and purge ruthlessly things that don't work for us. In the end we strive for fun, education and satisfaction. Thanks for the help I find what is most valuable is concrete statements like the primers feed better, the quick change on the dies is precise on brand x compared to brand y. I like the adjustability of x compared to y.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonbuck View Post
    Wanting a single stage press for rifle bullets, sizing, maybe making some brass 410 shells etc. I have the cast Turret kit and bought an additional lee perfect powder measured. I was hoping to use lee dies with quick change dies preferably Hornady L&L because they are cheaper than lee. I've been looking at the deals on the rock chucker supreme press with its rebate vs the Lee cast iron press cost wise it's a wash. The strongest thing I see is the RCBS powder dispenser that comes with the kit. I would be loading 30/30 and 30/06 when I buy one this spring. I have been downsizing the number of firearms/calibers and striving for versitility and simplicity in the wood shop and want the reloading/casting area to be uncluttered by redundancy.
    I think you have figured this out on your own. If cost wise both are a wash, and you prefer the Hornady quick change dies (because they cost less than the Lee version), and you like the RCBS powder dispenser that comes with the kit you are looking for, then go with the RCBS.

It seems that a tougher skin is required if you go with Lee!

Boolit Buddy
    Really the big question is how well quick changing the dies works. Especially with how accurately they will index

Boolit Buddy
    Really the big question is how well both presses will work with quick change bushings? I am trying to keep my adjustments down to a minimum between dies and different calibers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast