Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: new ar that the wife claimed

Banned

new ar that the wife claimed

bought a cheap bushmaster ar. It came with a bushnell red dot in the box. I stuck that in the safe and put a vortex sparc on it. Kind of a neat gun. Reminds me of the dpms sportical I had and sold foolishly. I bought it because of the political situation right now. I have 3 556 ars already so really didn't need it. Figured id buy it and stick it under the bed in case its gets to the point you cant buy them. Well I had it out on the table putting the vortex on it and ma walked in and saw it. She picked it up and fell in love. Its a light little thing and I think that's what impressed her. Well she layed claim to it. Said she doesn't have an ar15 and that's the one she wants. Kind of comical. A year ago she showed no interest what so ever in guns. I picked her up a muddy girl camo lc9 ruger and took her to the range with it a few times and she just loved it. Oh well it probably would have only sat under the bed till spring anyway and I would have pulled it out and shot the **** out of it anyway.

How man AR's are they selling per year now?
    Last numbers I herd. On how many are owned total. Estimate nine million AR's and eight hundred thousand Ruger Mini 14's in the USA.

I like my AR's better since I found a ten dollar Caldwell brass catcher. It actually works. Only kicked back a couple cases into the bolt in maybe five hundred rounds.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Lloyd: I'd think you'd know better than to expose these guns, I'm waiting for my wife to catch on but have been lucky so far.

Is that gun a Bushmaster Carbon 15? with the Carbon Fiber Receiver? I have one all decked out with Magpul Furniture, sights, sling, and light and it is still at 6 lbs 7 oz. Great guns and as good as any generic AR out there.

Put a Brownell's spring kit in it, does wonders for the trigger pull.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I like my AR's better since I found a ten dollar Caldwell brass catcher. It actually works. Only kicked back a couple cases into the bolt in maybe five hundred rounds.
    Not $10 but this is what is use on my prairie dog AR's http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com...tandard-issue/

I have close to 7K through it without a malfunction. I load 7 20 round mags and shoot until the are empty. I empty the brass catcher bag and reload the mags. That's how I keep round count for the day. Most days and locations 200 to 300 rounds is a very good day. One spot I have is normally a 750 round day for the AR.

Boolit Master

Lloyd, I hope you mean you got it cheap, Bushmaster makes a good AR, (at least they used too.)
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

no its a steal gun. its called the quick response carbine. It does have a dust cover and forward assist but it has a very thin profile pencil barrel and no front sight or rail on the gas block. cost me 650 out the door. It sure could use a better trigger though. http://www.impactguns.com/bushmaster...-30rd-mag.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Lloyd: I'd think you'd know better than to expose these guns, I'm waiting for my wife to catch on but have been lucky so far.

Is that gun a Bushmaster Carbon 15? with the Carbon Fiber Receiver? I have one all decked out with Magpul Furniture, sights, sling, and light and it is still at 6 lbs 7 oz. Great guns and as good as any generic AR out there.

Put a Brownell's spring kit in it, does wonders for the trigger pull.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Lloyd
    Had the exact same thing happen to me! Bought a PSA Strikefire carbine 3 years ago. Very nice light carbine. Let the wife shoot it. She said thanks for buying me an AR!! So much for that. Dam! Only good thing about it she shoots it extremely well I pity the SOB who ever is on its business end if she's behind it!
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 01-17-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Master

I learned along time ago, when you hand an AR-15 to your little woman, (Or anyone else) at the range, only put 3 rounds in the mag.

These rifles are so much "fun", sometimes it is hard to get the shooter to stop!

15 to 20 empties on the ground, and they grin and say, "You have any more cartridges!"
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Yea, 15-20 empty mags on the ground and they ask for more.
    Whatever!

I've a couple ways to do things with AR's. One is keep my nice ammo in 100 round plastic hinge top boxes. I have a matched set of five 20 round magazines. So I load 100 rounds out of a box into magazines ahead of going shooting. Then after return all empties into the labeled box to store until reload time. The other routine. I have ammo like Hornady bulk bullets loaded and stored in 30 caliber ammo cans with a lot number on them. 600 rounds to a can. Then on my shelf I have a coffee can labeled with that lot number containing the empties. I'll fill a 50 round plastic box from the big can. Then hand a kid an empty magazine and the 50 box. Instructing them to load no more than five rounds at a time. That way the barrel gets to cool off while they load the magazine. I go ahead and explain that to them. Phyc there is you just handed them a full nicely packed 50 round ammo box and told them to have at it. If that don't put a grin on there face you have your work cut out for you. If you don't have 50 rounds then pack a 20 round box full. It works better than scooping out a handful of rounds to toss into a butter tub. Or handing them a loaded magazine. They get there own little package that is special. Plus get to fingerprint every round. Impressing upon them this stuff is more valuable than a pitcher of soda pop.

A great game to play with kids is darts. Walmart sells the targets. Dart board print. Shoot the score as you would throw the darts. Rules are printed on back of target. Range of target is dependent upon sights, irons or scope, and skill level. Works good also when you have a group setting with just a few rifles. Make up teams and set up a couple benches with rifles that stay on the bench. Pointed downrange. Spotting scope to see bullets. Range director in charge. Then you just take turns shooting your target. You'd only need one rifle in theory. One target for each team. Ammo burn rate is low while fun factor is high. Teaches kids to make every shot count.

Obviously team the youngster with the old hand. In darts if you drill the little bar that's three points and clears the section, or whatever that's called. You get three shots per round and if you are a shooter who can hit a quarter inch bar at 100 yards then you just clear the three sections. Have the grandkid aim for the big space and use all three shot to cleat a bar. Not that it's a fixed game LOL.
    My son in law actually out scored me last Thanksgiving in Arizona. Good thing he rigged it so we were on the same team. Smart man.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Lloyd, I hope you mean you got it cheap, Bushmaster makes a good AR, (at least they used too.)
    Bushmaster is Remington now.

Want one made like the original Bushmaster using all the original contractor pieces buy a Windham Arms. The owner is the original owner of Bushmaster who opened the new company when Remington closed his facility and let go his workers. They now are back to work .

Boolit Buddy

Lot to be said for a wife that will go shooting with you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160110_135618.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Yep, the family that shoots together stays together - a real "family affair" shooting is.

Boolit Master

Built my wife her own AR for Christmas and painted. Barrel is a Green Mountain 18" SS with a 1:14 twist .223 Wylde chamber. Other parts are a B5 stock, Anderson lower (shown with my Stag lower) and DPMS free floating rail. Rifle really, really likes Federal Premium (P223E) 55 gr BTHP (still have 6 boxes loaded in the mid 90s)

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    I bought Mamma a nice Carbon-15 and put her Ciener 22 rimfire conversion on it about a year ago. Then, our fellow member Wonderwolf showed one anodized in a medium purple. You all know where this is heading by now, right?